Need help

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

emgclover

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, my female platy is pregnant and the last day or two she has been resting a lot at the bottom of the tank but is still VERY interested when the food comes out! She has also got a little protective over her space lately, what does this mean? Could she be giving birth soon?
The thing is she doesnt have a very big stomach, i've heard they look like they are about to burst near the end or their pregnancy, could she still be at the end?

yes, she could be about to give birth, mine wasn't fat at all, and still suddenly I found 15 babyplaties

hi there- yes I would say it safe to assume she is about to give birth.

My platy's first drop only had about 5 or 6 fry.

It is normal for the first drop not to be as large as the ones to come, and therefor your female wouldn't be huge! A sure sign tell that she is still pregnant though would be a large gravid spot behind her belly.

Good luck with the babies!

Thanx everyone for your help!
One other thing thats concerning me is that i just went to go and check on her only to find that she was swimming up to the filter and rubbing her belly up against it! None of the other fish have done this and i find it wiered that she is -_- I hope she is ok, is this normal?

Yah it might just be a way of her expressing that she is anxious to get the babes out soon :hey: shouldnt be no big deal , good luck on the fry ;)

Most reactions

Back