Need Help With My Ph

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

10x Pseudotropheus Saulosi

I was advised on a different post by some people on here that these were best suited for my tank size. ( I wanted bigger mbuna but I took the advice of people who keep these fish )
I will probably get no more that 20 total but I'm buying them young so I can't pick the sex of them, fingers crossed I don't end up with $hit loads of makes lol

Pseudo saulosi are a really nice fish, both brilliant looking males and females. What size tank do you have? There is a few other species you could have if you have a slightly smaller tank. Saulosi are a good fish to start with too, with you not been able to sex them its not to bad if you have more males than females, they are much more forgiving species compared to most. So your 10 should be fine as they settle.
Dont forget to update the stats when you test tomorrow, fingers crossed the nitrite has sorted itself out.

It's a fluval Roma 200

200L (150L after background/sand/rock displacement)
Aquarium Measurements: 100 x 40 x 55 cm

Yea saulosi fish look nice and easy care level so will get me used to keeping cichlids, I have found a few suitable tank mates so it's something to looking in to later down the line. Do you think 20 would be over stocking this tank?
I'm running 2 eheim filters (Eheim Pro 2 2028 + Eheim Pro 3 2075)

I was advised on a different post by some people on here that these were best suited for my tank size. ( I wanted bigger mbuna but I took the advice of people who keep these fish )
I will probably get no more that 20 total but I'm buying them young so I can't pick the sex of them, fingers crossed I don't end up with $hit loads of makes lol

Pseudo saulosi are a really nice fish, both brilliant looking males and females. What size tank do you have? There is a few other species you could have if you have a slightly smaller tank. Saulosi are a good fish to start with too, with you not been able to sex them its not to bad if you have more males than females, they are much more forgiving species compared to most. So your 10 should be fine as they settle.
Dont forget to update the stats when you test tomorrow, fingers crossed the nitrite has sorted itself out.

It's a fluval Roma 200

Yea saulosi fish look nice and easy care level so will get me used to keeping cichlids, I have found a few suitable tank mates so it's something to looking in to later down the line. Do you think 20 would be over stocking this tank?

Nice tank, as long as you maintain well (you've got good filtration) then yeah 20 will be fine, just remember as they start to grow a little the males will have to be thinned out if you have more males than females. They will be fine at the start but ideally you want 4 to 6 Males and the rest females. :good:

I see the experts stepped in :good: .
Good to hear the ph issue cleared with a water change.

Wonder if the Nitrite reading is from just a temporary stall due to the low ph.
Bet that rights itself in short order as well.

Good choice on the Dwarfs. Spectacular fish, your really going to enjoy them.

It's a fluval Roma 200

Nice tank, as long as you maintain well (you've got good filtration) then yeah 20 will be fine, just remember as they start to grow a little the males will have to be thinned out if you have more males than females. They will be fine at the start but ideally you want 4 to 6 Males and the rest females. :good:

both filters will turn over 2300L an hour which means the tank volume 15x an hour so should be good and clean.

I see the experts stepped in :good: .
Good to hear the ph issue cleared with a water change.

Wonder if the Nitrite reading is from just a temporary stall due to the low ph.
Bet that rights itself in short order as well.

Good choice on the Dwarfs. Spectacular fish, your really going to enjoy them.

Thanks for your help also Moby-Krib.

Here's todays test results:

PH: 8

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5

KH: 140

GH: 160

Looks much better I think :hyper:

Brilliant, good to see the nitrite has dropped, just now monitor the Ph and make sure it doesn't fluctuate to much :good:

Brilliant, good to see the nitrite has dropped, just now monitor the Ph and make sure it doesn't fluctuate to much :good:

Yip, I will do daily tests untill the fish go in and then for the following week to make sure everything is good.

what sort of food should I purchase for my Saulosi?

I have got so far Tetra Veg 250ml mbuna flake, But I would like to feed them a variation and something for a treat every week or every other week. Any suggestions?

Cucumber and peas are good for a treat every now and then, the tetra pro vegi is good. NLS(New life spectrum) is brilliant too, feed my malawi's this stuff. New era cichlid pellets are supposed to be good to (never tried them personally) Also you can get a good range of spirulina flakes. There is a lot to choose from mate. The NLS will enhance the colours which is great and its a good all round diet.

Cucumber and peas are good for a treat every now and then, the tetra pro vegi is good. NLS(New life spectrum) is brilliant too, feed my malawi's this stuff. New era cichlid pellets are supposed to be good to (never tried them personally) Also you can get a good range of spirulina flakes. There is a lot to choose from mate. The NLS will enhance the colours which is great and its a good all round diet.

Just reading about the nls looks really good, packed with loads of different foods, can't get it in the uk, but eBay ship it will cost close to £30 tho comes to $39.95 that's for 600 G tho. I really brine shrimp can be fed as a treat ? Not sure about that tho.

In the UK mate:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Life-Spectrum-Cichlid-Formula-150gram-Tub-1mm-pellets-/160843592042?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item257306716a#ht_500wt_922

Again, brine shrimp I've only fed to my fry but not to my adults. It should be ok, Just got to be careful with mbuna, bloat is a big problem. So their diet has to be top notch.

This is the 600G Tub:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Life-Spectrum-Cichlid-Formula-600-gram-Tub-1mm-pellets-/180932523532?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2a206b360c#ht_500wt_1054

+1 on the NLS :good: :good: It's the staple for my tanks as well, good for both my Mbuna ,Aulonocara, and even my Synodontis cats eat it.
I supplement some veggies and an occasional feeding of brine shrimp or pellets. Never too much of the high protein snacks though, wouldn't want to bloat em.

They seem to enjoy a algae wafer here and there too . gives em something to play keep away with :fun:

How about Hikari products? Not sure if you get them over there but I was told they have a very good all-around feed for cichlids. I believe it was Hikari Excel. Also, does it matter if it's floating or sinking pellets?

Thanks
Steve

How about Hikari products? Not sure if you get them over there but I was told they have a very good all-around feed for cichlids. I believe it was Hikari Excel. Also, does it matter if it's floating or sinking pellets?

Thanks
Steve

Yeah Hikari is a good all rounder too, especially the vegi based pellets(think there vegi based) Doesn't matter really, they go crazy over anything, they usually soak me when it comes to feeding time lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back