What's new

Need help with Africans

wtusa17

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am getting an African cichlid tank and I need help. I don’t know what I can and can’t mix. Any suggestions?

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I had 8 rescue African Cichlids in a 55 gallon tank many years ago, They started having fry and attacking the other fish. I ended up taking all the other fish out and leaving only a pleco which they left alone. I had over 50 cichlids in a year :eek: and removed everything from the tank to stop them from breeding.

OP
W

wtusa17

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I had 8 rescue African Cichlids in a 55 gallon tank many years ago, They started having fry and attacking the other fish. I ended up taking all the other fish out and leaving only a pleco which they left alone. I had over 50 cichlids in a year :eek: and removed everything from the tank to stop them from breeding.
So will they breed?

Retired Viking

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Oh yes, I add some fake breeding grass to my tank because I just wanted a few fry and they were like rabbitso_O

Colin_T

Reaction score
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Go to the local pet shop and make a list of the fish you want, then post it here and we can go through it and make suggestions.

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days