Need help with Africans

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am getting an African cichlid tank and I need help. I donā€™t know what I can and canā€™t mix. Any suggestions?

I had 8 rescue African Cichlids in a 55 gallon tank many years ago, They started having fry and attacking the other fish. I ended up taking all the other fish out and leaving only a pleco which they left alone. I had over 50 cichlids in a year :eek: and removed everything from the tank to stop them from breeding.

I had 8 rescue African Cichlids in a 55 gallon tank many years ago, They started having fry and attacking the other fish. I ended up taking all the other fish out and leaving only a pleco which they left alone. I had over 50 cichlids in a year :eek: and removed everything from the tank to stop them from breeding.
So will they breed?

Oh yes, I add some fake breeding grass to my tank because I just wanted a few fry and they were like rabbitso_O

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Go to the local pet shop and make a list of the fish you want, then post it here and we can go through it and make suggestions.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back