need help please

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

brianwar

Reaction score
i need some suggestions on how to keep the fish in this aquarium from killing each other but need opinions on weither or not this tank is safe .

and 2 my tiger barbs have amblicale cord looking things hainging out from their under sides what is up with that ?

:lol: are u new to the hobby?It is most likely crap hanging out!
second YOU ARE WAAAAAY over crowded .go by the inch per gallon rule...cichlids should ALWAAYs be by themselves in a whole lot more room than that.The black ghost will get a WHOLE lot bigger and will need at least a 20 gallon by itsself i think.U should take the cichlids and the ghost back if u can.Maybe the betta should be put in a cheap little 2 to 5 gallon too

Part of the problem looks like your tank is waaaay overstocked. A good general rule of thumb is one inch of full grown fish per gallon of water. Tiger barbs (and rosy barbs) are schooling/shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of 5 or more. The more tiger barbs you can get, the more they'll chase each other and not bother the others.

For now though, I would either get a new tank to handle some of those fish or take them back to the store - as the cichlids and tiger barbs get bigger, there could be some nasty clashes...

thanks for the opinions. the fish are living fine and have been for two months i cant get rid of them the large chillid and sydo. are really expensieve. guess i was hoping caves would help if any other suggestions besides getting rid or investing a lot more $$ please post thx

sorry thats about all there is...ur gunna hafta change ur water A LOT too because of all the ammonia buildup of fish waste :sick:

brianwar said:
if any other suggestions besides getting rid or investing a lot more $$ please post thx
That's what happens in this hobby :dunno: It's all about the cash :lol: Or at least keeping only fish that you can afford. That's how myself and many others here wound up with so many tanks. This fish is too big for this tank, this fish won't get along with this fish, etc etc.. :/ That's just the way it goes!

I highly advise that you find out exactly what kind of cichlids you have, some of them become nastier than nasty at about 7"

And I hate to beat a dead horse but....your tank is way overstocked :eek:

If you don't move some of the fish, the overstocking problem will likely take care of itself - either through fishy aggression and someone killing some of the others or through poor water quality. With that much fish waste in that size tank, the water quality is going to be hard to maintain.

Most reactions

Back