Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
potm-bigbanner.jpg

🦎 🐍 🦜 🐕 🦞 🐢🐎🦤🐈
:big_boss:
PLEASE VOTE NOW
We have 5 handsome pets entered into the May 2024 Pet of the Month Contest. View all the pets and descriptions below and then go to top of page and click on your choice for POTM and then click the "cast" button.

Please DO NOT post any comments about any specific pet in this thread...such posts will promptly be deleted.

You are not allowed to update your entry picture once voting has started.

Please Note:
Any attempt to influence competition results, other than by casting your allocated vote, is not permitted and may result in your entry being removed and / or further action being taken. You are not allowed to have friends or family join TFF for the main purpose of voting for you. This is a public poll so source of votes can be viewed.

You are allowed to change your vote if you wish.

Poll will close on May 30th 2024 at 4:25 PM ET (US).
Thread will periodically be cleaned up for readability

Last edited:
IMG_7170.png

Ok I’ll go first! Maybe I will have some luck this time 😅
Here’s Belle, my 5 year old Cocker Spaniel x Poodle. She is my first born child, and has taught me so many things (mainly patience). It's hard to sum her up in a few short paragraphs, as she is so full of personality! I got Belle as a surprise for my husband, he had explicitly told me no to a dog, but I knew as soon as he saw her he would fall in love with her! He lay down the rules pretty hard at first, like "no dog on the sofa" and "no dog in the bed". That didn't last long and Belle now sleeps in-between us in our bed :lol:
She is the sassiest dog I have ever met and is constantly causing trouble. Here she is after one of her many disobedient moments, where she was explicitly told NO to the muddy puddle. The pic on the right is the colour she is actually meant to be 🙃
A fun fact about Belle is for the first 6 months of her life I was sure she was deaf, as she wouldnt response to anything I said. Eventually after many tests, a vet confirmed that Belle was in fact not deaf, she just has selective hearing and lives life how she chooses 😅
Belle is also allergic to grass and chicken!!! Which is pretty hard when you live on a farm but she takes medication to keep her allergies under control.
She is such a huge part of our family and we love her so much. She is the best big sister to our human baby, she was a little put out by the human baby at first, but as soon as the human baby started to drop food on the floor, they became the best of friends!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_2682.jpeg

A feline entry for the POTM comp!

Meet Nala, a 12 y/o domestic medium hair tabby, who has travelled all over Australia and then to Europe and back with me.
Nala is the best cat, and should win POTM based on her hilarious personality alone, but she’s also just gorgeous.

She doesn’t do tricks, not because we haven’t worked on training, but because she blatantly refuses to cooperate.
She occasionally relents, giving away her position, and verifying just how much she understands.
She does what is asked of her, when it suits her.
She understands the context of a command and despises it.
She hates having her picture taken.
She gently paws my face to wake me up almost everyday.

She’s the most empathetic, intelligent and charismatic cat I’ve ever known.
She knows when you’re sad, tired, or intoxicated and is extremely affectionate.

I met her and brought her home when she was 8 weeks old, and I was 19 - adopting her gave me direction in my life and career.
Nala is the reason I studied vet medicine and am now a veterinary nurse. She’s the reason I founded and operated a fully registered animal welfare organisation from my home, and rescued many, many cats and kittens from the streets of Western Sydney.

She moved from Hobart, to Melbourne, to Sydney to Prague and then back, and has forever remained her happy self.
She would have made an excellent therapy cat, as she doesn’t care about being handled, loves people and cuddles, and has travelled so many places, nothing phases her.
She should win POTM because of the wild life she has led, and all of the goodness and joy she has inspired.

I feel like I'm half cheating here, given this is a fully aquatic pet, but it definitely isn't a fish!

This is Soup, one of my two African dwarf frogs. Soup says hi!
IMG_7700.JPG

I got her not all that long ago, towards the beginning of March earlier this year, so it's been just a couple months, but she's doing well! The pair were from an LFS in the city. I had a free 6gal tank and wanted something more unique than a betta. I don't actually know Soup's sex for sure, but the other frog, Dumpling, has developed nuptial glands (he's a male) and Soup has not, so I'm inferring that Soup is a female. She also has a cute little white dot on the top of her head, which makes it really easy to tell her apart from Dumpling at a glance :)

ADFs are rather clownish creatures in general, and Soup is no exception. Don't tell Dumpling, but I think she's my favorite of the two. She's especially reactive and interactive with me. She knows exactly when I sit down in front of the tank and will come to beg for food. Her favorite activity is to get right up to the front of the tank and stand like a tiny person to stare at me pointedly (...see below). She had just been fed and was already back to ask for more lol.

ADFs don't have very good vision, but she'll even explicitly turn to look at me, so she definitely knows I'm there. It's rather cute, and with the way she stands at the front of the tank, it almost feels like I'm being confronted by a small toddler who doesn't know how to use her words yet.

She (and Dumpling) get fed exclusively frozen food, rotating between brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. I do individual target feeding with tweezers so that I know both of them are getting food. They don't really know any tricks, but Soup in particular is rather good at recognizing the tweezers and is actually quite good at aiming, at least for an ADF! The one drawback of her being good at targeting things is that she also targets the siphon when I'm cleaning the tank... 😑

I love her a lot, and watching her and Dumpling brings me so much joy. They're such fantastic little animals.

IMG_5039.jpeg

OK... I was "goated" into entering one of our lambs... this year we got 3 chocolate colored lambs ( this is not a normal color of our sheep, which we raise "hair sheep" for meat... they don't need shearing like wool sheep ) this is Coco, being our 1st chocolate lamb, and also a ewe lamb, she will be saved as a breeder, because of her color… so she will become a pasture pet, and avoid the supper table... I'll go out and take a picture soon, of her with a placard... anyway this is Coco, top center

sorry for the burry picture... the camera kept focusing on the placard

20240515_180102.jpg
This is my dog Achak he is a 7 month 50 lb Australian Shepherd.

He goes by various other names depending on our respective moods:
- When bad he is "Turd Muffins"
- When he is costing me more money he is "Buyer's Regret" (stolen from a cartoon)
- Most of the time he is "Little One" because in my mind he is still the little puppy I started with, and he is my little buddy.

He has been the most difficult dog to train not to herd or nip I have ever owned and I have owned dogs most of my life. He is pretty good on most anything else (basic obedience) but the herding was real bad to start with. The last month he has been making very good headway with not herding his owners. He is also entirely attached to me and I have to make a lot of effort to socialize with other people so he can socialize with other people. He loves playing with other dogs but is a bit over the top for most dogs his age and size.

Our favorite times are our daily walks in the park near our home. We can get to the park from our back yard so it is very convenient and I can vary the walk from 3.5 to 6.0 km depending on the trails we use. He gets to go off leash about 50% of the trail but I put him on leash near the marshes because I don't want him to bother the nesting birds. We often have deer outside the fence but he doesn't chase them. It is on these trips he gets to meet with other people and dogs enjoying the park.

On the weekends he gets to go on longer walks where we explore other trails, on these trips he is typically off lead for the whole trip, he stays within 50 ft of us all the time and often ends up hiking between my wife and I. He does not like to be out of sight of me at any time. He occasionally gets to go biking with me as well but I have to be more careful not to let him overdo it because he doesn't have an off or slow switch when walking him with the bike. On any trips he searches for fallen trees he can walk on top off (picture from the park below) where he makes elevated routes through the woods.

When his bones develop more he will be going on longer trips. He really likes going with me on bike rides so we have been looking at Bike Joring when he gets older (he will pull but I will still provide most of the power) and I have consider training him for agility.

His most endearing behaviors is using his front paws like hands, and still sitting on my lap when he wants cuddling. He is a pain in the ... sometimes but is also very loving.

End of Entries:
Please scroll up slowly as you review the 5 handsome entries for Pet of the Month. Then in the poll at the top of this thread, click on your choice for Pet of the Month. Be sure to click the CAST button to register your vote.

Coming up at the end of this month, we will be seeking entries for our June Tank of the Month contest. For June, we are featuring tanks sized at 16 gallons and smaller. If you have that size tank, we hope you enter the TOTM contest.

30 members have voted! Keep 'em coming.
Did YOU VOTE? If not, please
VOTE NOW
Coming up at the end of this month, we will be seeking entries for our June Tank of the Month contest. For June, we are featuring tanks sized at 16 gallons and smaller. If you have that size tank, we hope you enter the TOTM contest.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back