Need Help! How Much Alder Cones Should I Be Putting In My Tanks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaPit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all

I have two tanks

One is a 3Litre Shrimp-only tank and a 30Litre German Blue Ram tank

I have added 2bunch of alder cones in the shrimp tank(about 4small cones per bunch) and 10bunch in my 30Litre

How will it affect both my tanks?

I read it lowers pH and the benefits of using them but how much is too much?? Am I putting too much that will be harmful to my livestocks??

I'm about to try using cones too but more to stain my water and my fish seem to like it as much as I do. I plan to add the cones to my filter in a media bag. If you look here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/439536-using-leaf-litter-for-infusoria/ there's some info and links that might help answer your question.

Personally I was going to play it by ear just adding a few and seeing what happens and just add more until I get the desired look. I'll be interested to see what happens with your tank :)

Akasha72 said:
I'm about to try using cones too but more to stain my water and my fish seem to like it as much as I do. I plan to add the cones to my filter in a media bag. If you look here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/439536-using-leaf-litter-for-infusoria/ there's some info and links that might help answer your question.

Personally I was going to play it by ear just adding a few and seeing what happens and just add more until I get the desired look. I'll be interested to see what happens with your tank :)
Tks!

Will update!

I've heard from others that the effect on the pH level isn't that big. Some even say there is no effect at all. 
I personally just used them because I liked the dark water color. I've never tried measuring pH differences. One I've put dozens at a time in them, but besides the nice dark color no weird reaction of the inhabitants. So I assume that the actual effect on the pH level is minimal or not severe enough to cause trouble to my fish.

On the other hand, the effects per cone differ a lot. Some will barely stain the water and sometimes one is enough. So be prepared for different results from time to time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back