Need Advice

indir-emir

Fish Addict
Joined
Jan 16, 2009
Messages
700
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Sydney, Australia
Hey all.

Wondering whats my best option while im overseas (cousin will stay to feed the fish but his at work alot and doesnt really like fish so i know he wont change the water).

Ive planted the tank reasonably recently (heard this will help use up excess nitrates and such taht will come in the month im gone without water changes. But im worried about my plants dying, reason being is ferts. I have some stem plants but wondering if i can put some in the substrate randomly in hopes that it will put fertiliser into the tank water so that the java fern and anubias can get some fertiliser?

The light is on a timer for 11 hour at the moment. 12pm to 11pm. Set up the timer today, wasdoing it by hand before.
Should i reduce the time while im overseas?

Whats my best chance to ensure no ammonia or nitrite spikes? I heard planting heavily will help because plants eat up ammonia before it gets converted? Is this true?

Regards,
Indir
 
Heya sexy £10 POM fool

You can add substrate with fertiliser enriched personally I like the tetramin. You can add capsules to said sbstrate to further increase the fertiliser goodness, I would add tropica aqua nutrition + capsules 2x36 packs should cover the entire aquarium (each tablet needs to be 1 inch away from its counterpart and 1 inch under the soil trust me when the capsules break down and release the fertiliser balls its very annoying to return them to the substrate because its too shallow).


I would reduce the time to 9 hours

Indeed planted tanks absorb ammonia and nitrtite but the factor is quite small so I would say it acts as a buffer not a solution. Your tank should be fine if you get your cousin to perform at least one water change and feed at least every 3 days.
 
Ill get him to feed every three days. I doubt his going to change the water though. Works to much and is lazy :\

Thanks for the tip on the ferts.

Any other ideas on how to ensure i dont lose fish or plants?

Regards,
Indir
 
fishes can be fine with no food for a while, so every 3 days seems fine ;) just make sure you show him how much; don't feed excess feed them as you would normally.

Do a gravel vac before you leave and make sure fishes are all fine, heater and pumps etc working well! and cut the light down to 8 hours id say
 
Ok. Thanks.

Ill put 8.5 hours so its inbetween you both hehe.

Going to do a big water chance and gravel vac to ensure tank is in great condition before i leave. Man im worried bout loosing my fish and plants, tank looks so nice now :D

Whats the best way to ensure no ammonia spikes or nitrites or anything just to ensure tank will definetly be okay?
What if i got a internal filter, would that help at all?

Regards,
Indir
 
A secondary filter is always a good thing to rely on as a backup....

good point! i have 2 just incase :)

just buy one and place it in the tank alongside the other one it will gradually become mature =]
 
I keep a flannel next to the tank to dry my hands/equiptment on.
Toothbrush next to the tank useful for on the spot algae removal and the back smooth side can be used to annoy the fish by pushing them when you want them to stop doing something or to move something in the tank without getting your hands wet and it is also good at taking out snails using the bristles to cushion the snail against the glass until you take it out
I keep a few cable ties next to the tank just in case I need to do some on the spot maintenance to my diy filter system
Timer for the light with a multi plug it saves a lot of effort and electricity in the long run for negligible cost.
 
I use timer for the light. Single plug is all i could find though. Wasnt cheap s i thought... My new lights were the same price.. Double 18 watt fluroscent lights. Lol.

I use a towel next to tank too. Cables ties are all over my room for no reason lol.

Dont use a tooth brush... No algae :D

Thanks for that.

Any other things i can do to help fish and plants live while im gone

Regards,
Indir
 

Most reactions

Back
Top