Need advice on goldfish and tetra tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kaionfireandice

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the hobby. I just won two comet goldfish at the carnival without knowing what that meant. I've done a lot of research, and while one of the fish died a few days after getting them, the other appears to be fine. However, the remaining goldfish and a pleco are currently sharing a 10-gallon tank, which I know is not even close to big enough for them.

A friend of mine offered to give me her 45-gallon tank (48" x 12" x 18" I think), which isn't perfect, but it's an improvement until I can afford a larger tank. However, the tank comes with her 6 Buenos Aires tetras (~3" each). I don't know what to do about it.

I was thinking that I could keep the tetras in the 10-gallon for now and buy a 20-gallon tank or transfer them back to the 45-gallon when I can. I could sell the 10-gallon to help pay for the larger tanks, but I've gotten conflicting advice over what size I should get for goldfish.

Is it safe to keep them in the 10-gallon tank, at least until I can get a bigger tank? Should I just decline the offer and buy a bigger tank for the goldfish when I can? What sizes will I need for 6 BA tetras in one tank and 2 comet goldfish and a pleco in the other?

Thank you.

First, goldfish and tropicals cannot be combined, as they have very different requirements in temperature primarily and neither will thrive with any sort of middle road. Comet goldfish also get large and need space; this article by one of our members suggests a 5-foot tank.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/417799-goldfish-for-beginners/
Unless you have definite plans for at least a 4-foot tank, I would re-home the goldfish...a local fish store might take it (free presumably).

"Temporary" smaller tanks may seem a suitable idea, but this is not a good way to go. Any number of circumstances may change, and a potentially large fish kept in small spaces is being affected early on. The development of the internal organs will not keep pace with the external physical increase in size unless the fish has sufficient space from the start. And once the damage is done--and it will be unseen externally--the fish is doomed.

The pleco, if a common, will get 18 inches, and this too needs at least a 4-foot tank. They are very messy waste factories.

Byron.

Comets are great and all, but I personally feel they are best suited in ponds. They grow quite large and are very active, and they enjoy having friends (other comets of course). I would try to find someone who has a pond with goldfish in it already. As for the tetras and the 45, if the other party is willing to give it to you for free, I would go for it. That way, if you are interested, you can set up a nice community tank. As Bryon said, common plecos grow huge (and fast). I swear to you, they poop constantly, long strings of poo everywhere. Depending on it's size right now, if it's still under say, 6 inches, you can keep it in the 45 until it gets too big.

If you are set on keeping the comet, then I'd get the 45, re-home the tetras and pleco, and keep just the comet. Once the comet is starting to look cramped in the 45, then upgrade to something larger.

First, goldfish and tropicals cannot be combined, as they have very different requirements in temperature primarily and neither will thrive with any sort of middle road. Comet goldfish also get large and need space; this article by one of our members suggests a 5-foot tank.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/417799-goldfish-for-beginners/
Unless you have definite plans for at least a 4-foot tank, I would re-home the goldfish...a local fish store might take it (free presumably).

"Temporary" smaller tanks may seem a suitable idea, but this is not a good way to go. Any number of circumstances may change, and a potentially large fish kept in small spaces is being affected early on. The development of the internal organs will not keep pace with the external physical increase in size unless the fish has sufficient space from the start. And once the damage is done--and it will be unseen externally--the fish is doomed.

The pleco, if a common, will get 18 inches, and this too needs at least a 4-foot tank. They are very messy waste factories.

Byron.

The large tank is 4' long (48"). I plan to get a 5' tank that is wider than 12" as soon as I can, which will definitely be by next July at latest. The goldfish is currently ~2.5" long. I will probably re-home the pleco (~3.5"), and I don't plan to keep the tetras and the goldfish in the same tank. I will re-home the tetras if absolutely necessary for their happiness, but I do not want to if I do not have to. I can afford to get a 20-gallon tank by the end of the year if this is enough for the tetras.

Last edited:
Comets are great and all, but I personally feel they are best suited in ponds. They grow quite large and are very active, and they enjoy having friends (other comets of course). I would try to find someone who has a pond with goldfish in it already. As for the tetras and the 45, if the other party is willing to give it to you for free, I would go for it. That way, if you are interested, you can set up a nice community tank. As Bryon said, common plecos grow huge (and fast). I swear to you, they poop constantly, long strings of poo everywhere. Depending on it's size right now, if it's still under say, 6 inches, you can keep it in the 45 until it gets too big.

If you are set on keeping the comet, then I'd get the 45, re-home the tetras and pleco, and keep just the comet. Once the comet is starting to look cramped in the 45, then upgrade to something larger.

Currently, the pleco is ~3.5" and the goldfish is ~2.5". I'm okay with re-homing the pleco, but I am dead set on keeping the comet. I've become very attached to it. I do not want to re-home the tetras, but if they cannot live happily in a 20- or 30-gallon tank, then I will.

Yup then I would definitely get the 45 for the goldfish, then re-home the pleco when you get around to it. Keep in mind that if you keep it with the goldfish, it might decide to attack and eat him if he's hungry. Plecos like lots of veggies, like cucumber and squash slices. Make sure it's getting enough food because fish flakes won't cut it.
I'm not really good with tetras so you might want to do more research on them, although I did find the tetra's species profile for you. http://www.fishlore.com/profile-buenosairestetra.htm
According to this it says that a 20gal is the minimum tank size so I think you should be fine.

Just because I'm curious, what color is your goldie and is it the long finned type?

Just because I'm curious, what color is your goldie and is it the long finned type?

It's solid orange with white fins normally, but right now it has some black spots. I messed up on the fish-in cycle and didn't change the water enough, so the ammonia levels were too high for a bit, which is probably why the other one died. It isn't the long finned type.

Thank you so much for your help. :)

I'm not really good with tetras so you might want to do more research on them, although I did find the tetra's species profile for you. http://www.fishlore.com/profile-buenosairestetra.htm
According to this it says that a 20gal is the minimum tank size so I think you should be fine.

In my view (which comes from reliable sites like Seriously Fish) a 20g is not sufficient space for this species. Attaining somewhere around 3 to 3.5 inches, and in a group (which it needs), a 3-foot tank is minimum for the best care.

Yup you might want to listen to Bryon. Like I said, I'm no expert with tetras ;)

In my view (which comes from reliable sites like Seriously Fish) a 20g is not sufficient space for this species. Attaining somewhere around 3 to 3.5 inches, and in a group (which it needs), a 3-foot tank is minimum for the best care.

Okay. Thank you very much. :)

Good on you for going to such lengths for all of these fish. A 45 gallon is a decent sized tank and I find that many people start small and increase the size over time. For you to be juggling three different tanks to try and suit three different species with totally different requirements is great.

I don't mean for that to sound patronising in any way. It just made me smile.

And welcome to TFF :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back