Need a filter recommendation

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My filter is quite old, old enough I don't remember what kind it is.... time to think about a replacement.

I am looking for a recommendation of a hob filter. My tank is about 10 gallons and contains 1 female betta and 5 black neons.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hands down on HOB for a 10g is the Aquaclear 20, 30, or 50. The AC design lets you adjust return/re-circulation flow and customize the media YOU choose to use (unlike the many cartridge HOBs).
I have two AC 70 filters (with AC 50 impellers) on my 60g and I use bio-sponge exclusively for media.

Hands down on HOB for a 10g is the Aquaclear 20, 30, or 50. The AC design lets you adjust return/re-circulation flow and customize the media YOU choose to use (unlike the many cartridge HOBs).
I have two AC 70 filters (with AC 50 impellers) on my 60g and I use bio-sponge exclusively for media.
Ooooo that does sound really good! Would make transfering the media so much easier.

Thanks, will definitely look into that one.

If it still works fine I'd keep it till it breaks! I have a 20 year old Eheim that is still going strong.

Given this is a small tank, and the fish do not appreciate currents, a simple sponge filter would seem your best option. I use a single sponge on my 10g, and a dual sponge on the 20g, 29g, 33g and 40g tanks.

I just retired a 9 year old 5-15 wisper. Moved my shrimp tank over by my chair to make room for a new 29g and it was way to loud.

Got a new aqua tech 5-15 for less than the cost of a new impeller for the wisper.

Ac30 for a 10g would be my vote.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3954&pcatid=3954

The number 2 filter works amazing in a ten gallon I have it in.

I also recommend the SunSun HW 603b. It's an amazing little canister filled with lots of sponge media. Does good in my five and plan on putting it in a ten soon. Likes to have water go everywhere when trying to clean though...Still haven't figured that out yet...Lol.

My filter shows signs of being less effective so I do want to replace it before it dies on me. Its not so easy to rush out, where I am, and get the appropriate filter quickly if it goes.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will have a google fest looking them up.

Edit: AC's are great as far as HOB's go! I have AC 50's on my ten gallon tanks but they were too strong for my betta and my other fish struggle to find calm places to sleep, even when it's adjusted to lower flow. They are densely planted tanks so they manage to find places but it didn't work for a betta since they stay near the top more often than not. I'd recommend the AC 20 for your purpose if you really want a HOB. But like others have said, a good sponge or internal filter may be a better choice. Just my two cents[emoji851].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back