NCaquatics - June 2020 Fish of the Month (tetras) Winner!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
We have a winner in Fishforums.net
June 2020
Fish of the Month Contest
We had 7 Tetras entered in the FOTM contest but only one could win
And the winner is..:band:

:hooray:
NCaquatics
Let's all congratulate NCaquatics with her Black Skirt Tetra
"Whiskey"

Here is a pic and a description of Whiskey
received_677823882756830-jpeg.107113

This photo was taken with my good camera)

This is Whiskey, she is a long fin Black Skirt Tetra. Shes a big girl, almost 3 inches long. She is the boss of the shoal. No one messes with this lovely little lady.

Skirts get a bad rep, but they tend to be a lot more bark than bite if kept properly in a shoal and with a suitable habitat breaking up lines of sight, and keeping a lower male ratio than females.

I have a shoal of different colours of these guys (3 black skirts, 2 white skirts, and one "gmo" skirt--aka glofish). This lady is at the top of the pack, she is the first to get food, the most inquisitive if something looks like food, and as long as the other tetras don't upset that, things stay peaceful.

I have had Whiskey for over a year, she was one of our first fish, she was a tiny little inch long baby when we first got her, scrawny little thing. But shes a hefty girl now, nearly always gravid. She is a gorgeous shiny fish, her scales reflect the colours around her.

All of our skirts are named after alcoholic beverages. My husband picked out these fish and named the first three, so we stuck with the tradition for the entire shoal. Names are Whiskey, Gin, Daiquiri, Morgan, Kraken, and Vodka.

Whiskey lives with her shoal in a planted 20 gallon with a shoal of paleatus corydoras. She is fearless and will often come to the glass if she thinks i am going to feed them. She is not a fussy eater, she tries to eat anything that fits in her mouth. But, a particular favourite treat of hers is chopped freshly molted mealworm. Goes around with a bit in her jaws and chews all the juices out before dropping the shell later. She enjoys omega one flakes, omega one frozen carnivore mix, and bug bites as the regular staples. She is not above trying to steal the cories shrimp pellets either, but once she realizes theyre too large for her she ignores them.

Turned the lights on real quick to snap the verification photo

Last edited:
Congrats to NCaquatics with your beautiful Tetra "Whiskey". What a great photo of your black skirt tetra. Well deserved win!

Coming in second place was JuiceBox52 with her colorful Rummynose Tetra. Congrats JuiceBox.

Coming in third place was SanDiegoRedneck with his Glass Bloodfin Tetra. Great photo!

Next up will be our Tank of the Month Contest which will feature tanks sized at 17 to 29 US gallons. If you have a tank of that size, we hope you will enter the contest. Entry period starts on July 1st.

Congratulations NCaquatics on your winning picture of Whiskey !! :hooray: great picture and a beautiful long-finned Black Skirt !

Congratulations! :drinks::banana:Whiskey is absolutely beautiful! :wub:

We have a winner in Fishforums.net
June 2020
Fish of the Month Contest
We had 7 Tetras entered in the FOTM contest but only one could win
And the winner is..:band:

:hooray:
NCaquatics
Let's all congratulate NCaquatics with her Black Skirt Tetra
"Whiskey"

Here is a pic and a description of Whiskey
received_677823882756830-jpeg.107113

This photo was taken with my good camera)

This is Whiskey, she is a long fin Black Skirt Tetra. Shes a big girl, almost 3 inches long. She is the boss of the shoal. No one messes with this lovely little lady.

Skirts get a bad rep, but they tend to be a lot more bark than bite if kept properly in a shoal and with a suitable habitat breaking up lines of sight, and keeping a lower male ratio than females.

I have a shoal of different colours of these guys (3 black skirts, 2 white skirts, and one "gmo" skirt--aka glofish). This lady is at the top of the pack, she is the first to get food, the most inquisitive if something looks like food, and as long as the other tetras don't upset that, things stay peaceful.

I have had Whiskey for over a year, she was one of our first fish, she was a tiny little inch long baby when we first got her, scrawny little thing. But shes a hefty girl now, nearly always gravid. She is a gorgeous shiny fish, her scales reflect the colours around her.

All of our skirts are named after alcoholic beverages. My husband picked out these fish and named the first three, so we stuck with the tradition for the entire shoal. Names are Whiskey, Gin, Daiquiri, Morgan, Kraken, and Vodka.

Whiskey lives with her shoal in a planted 20 gallon with a shoal of paleatus corydoras. She is fearless and will often come to the glass if she thinks i am going to feed them. She is not a fussy eater, she tries to eat anything that fits in her mouth. But, a particular favourite treat of hers is chopped freshly molted mealworm. Goes around with a bit in her jaws and chews all the juices out before dropping the shell later. She enjoys omega one flakes, omega one frozen carnivore mix, and bug bites as the regular staples. She is not above trying to steal the cories shrimp pellets either, but once she realizes theyre too large for her she ignores them.

Turned the lights on real quick to snap the verification photo
Well done!

Gorgeous fish.

Fantastic photograph.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back