Nano Tank Diary...

:X Aww.....so sad. Im sure the Nano will go to a great home, and you will still be able to give advice and help run it! :D

Great thread, and still a damm good starting point for newbs like me! :wub: An inspirational tank journal this has been. Congratulations! :)

Thats very sad to hrre Parker, but congratulations on setting it up succsesfully! :thumbs:

It has been inspiring to everyopne who has a nano, im sure :nod:

DD

Parker....that is really sad. I can understand your plight, having 2 kids myself. You should feel proud tho' having been the foundation of starting here...my tank is a direct result of your work. I hope you stick with us here as your experience is invaluable. Your friend, Frank.
Thank you Frank. It's been so much fun setting the tanks up and seeing who's doing what.

Thank you also miagi and DD. :thumbs:

I am already sad that I'm having to say goodbye to my little "Nemo" (don't forget, my 2yr old named him, not me :p ), he is such a character and I love watching him swim towards me whenever he sees me walk by. The good thing though is that I *know* the tank is going to a good home and Stacy will take very good care of it. She's setting it up as a surprise for her husband (who has wanted one for a long time, this isn't out of the blue or anything) who is in Iraq right now and will be coming home in February for R&R.

Part of the reason that I wanted to pass the tank on to her is that since my husband is military, we could get called to move any time... I've always wondered what I'd do with my tank(s) when we have to move since it's probably not practical to move them completely cross-country. Again, this way, I know that it's all going to a good home.

Pretty sad that I have to keep rationalizing it to myself :lol:

I'll definitely be sticking around though :)

--Kristin

Well..who knows...if you have a move coming up, maybe you'll set there for a spell and start up a pico like bunjiweb. SH

Yeah, I can see that conversation with my husband now...

Hey honey - you know that nano tank I just sold? Well, I'm going to spend some more money and start a new tank. It'll be smaller and have no fish though :lol:

There's no move impending right now - we'll most likely be in Savannah another few years, but who knows. With the military, nothing's certain except what you're doing at that exact moment :p

Still here for now :)

My friend is trying to decide if she really has the room for her tank after all :lol:

I just wanted to update since I upgraded my lighting. Not a major upgrade, but a very small one. I had the Coralife 50/50 which was 6500K (I think it was). I liked it a lot, but the corals just didn't seem to be thriving, even though their color had come back. While I was at the lfs yesterday, I asked for their recommendations. They said that for one bulb, they recommended the Coralife 10,000. So, I got that.

I did find something for my wishlist though - it's a power compact regular/actinic setup with lunar lights and is ultra-reliable. The owner said they had that ($200) which he, personally, recommended b/c he had never known of anyone to get a bum unit or to not be happy with it. Then, he had another unit that was similar, but a different brand that he said was kind of hit or miss as far as reliability.

So, for now, I've still just got the one bulb. I'm not even going to think about sinking $200 into a tank that a friend may be buying from me anyway! I am much happier with the color of the 10,000K bulb than I was with the 6500K one and the corals seem to be happier as well...

Oh, and there's a good chance we're getting to go to the new Atlanta Aquarium on Wednesday!!!!

ok thanks ! beacause i think i will start a nano tank ! Is it really that hard ?

OK, I'm back. It's all SH's fault for saying that he'd linked to this in th FAQs or I never would have read through it *all* again!

I could have sworn I came back and updated after my tank crashed. Yup, it crashed. All in one afternoon. I don't remember exactly when it was, but we were on our way out of the house one afternoon and Brodie decided to "help" me by feeding the fish. He dumped almost a whole bottle of flake food in and since we were on our way out, I didn't notice til we got home hours later. I lost everything, even the live rock :(

It was so devastating that I'd poured all that money and time and effort into it and lost it all in one fell swoop. Of course Brodie thought he was just helping, so I couldn't be too mad at him. I didn't have it in me to start all over again so it all went out into the yard (at the base of a tree, thought it would make a nice fertilizer).

FWIW, I did have a skimmer on it - a miniflotor.

So, if this is helpful to anyone then I'm glad I came back to bump it up.

ETA - I never did sell that tank to my friend and I think it was March/April '06 when it crashed. So, I made it to 18mos with no real fatalities (a few corals and inverts, but no fish)

My 46g FW is doing well though :p

I can't imagine the horror of that first look you saw when you came home from your vacation. :crazy:

If you ever decide to start it up again we will all be anxious to hear about it!!

Most reactions

Back