Nano Reef Aquapod 24 Gal

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Today I checked water Parameters, all is stable. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphate all at ZERO; Ph 8.3; Calcium 450; dkh 10; SG 1.025 and temp holding @ 78.9. Refugium looks to be helping with Nitrates. Heres a cool pic taken at a different perspective.
pic42_topview.jpg
Taken top view, water looks good, just wanted to dive into it :lol:

pic43_rsidewclam.jpg
Right side of tank, with Crocea Clam, FeatherDuster ,Clown and Zoos.

That's a fantastic Nano reef! Keep us posted on new updates.

I've always wanted to start my own reef, but I'm too scared to loose a lot of money at the moment- since money is tight being a college student. (we know how that goes.)

That's a fantastic Nano reef! Keep us posted on new updates.

I've always wanted to start my own reef, but I'm too scared to loose a lot of money at the moment- since money is tight being a college student. (we know how that goes.)
Yes, been there done that. There was a time, when "top ramen" was the main ingredient to my meals :lol:. Although now that I think about it, I used most of that money on Partying. :blush: . Beer bong Champ 2005.
Ill definetly be keeping everyone posted on my tank.

The day has come, my first lost a astraea snail. The death of my snail has caused the outbreak of cynobacteria (RED SLIME) I suspect. I've been battling for the last couple of days, but each morning theres more growing back. Went back into Steelhlrs' thread to see if he had the same implication and any resolvements. Found the answer to this problem, thanks again SH. Im not sure what medication you used, but I will wait to see if you can help me here. I have been using the turkey baster method, gravel vacuuming my sand and I did a water change midweek. :angry:

Akillez...I'll do what I can to help you out. You can see why I tell everyone to wait weeks to months before stocking their tank.

First off....the flow thing is a myth. Don't change your flow if it will blow the stuff all over the tank.

Cyano are NOT affected by lighting interval commonly posted by many people here.

Get a phosphate testing kit if you dont already have one.

Reduce your feeding.

Crank up the RO filter...do frequent water changes. I'd kick it up to at least twice a week.

Don't resort to 'treating' the tank first off. Try less invasive methods first.

SH

Agreed Akillez. Same thing happened to me. Snail death lead to cyano outbreak. Get some phosphate binding media in there asap and some activated carbon media as well. After a week of aforementioned media and protein skimming my cyano is coming under control. Its no longer taking over my tank and its only a matter of time before my CC eats the rest of it. Cerith snails do the most damage to cyano in my experience, but if you dont eliminate the phosphates and toxins fron the dead snail you'll fight a loosing battle. Also, even if you have a test kit, dont trust it. my phosphate kit read 0ppm but adding phosphate remover stopped the growth of cyano. Most home test kits aren't good enough to detect small amounts of phosphate which is all thats needed to fuel cyano.

Thank you, just did a water change, added a phosphate sponge filter, will be keeping my skimmer on 24 hours and using the turkey baster to blast off the stuff from my zoos. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate read 0. calcium 450, ph 8.3, s.g. 1.025.

After a couple days of phosphate sponge, do a water change and vaccum to remove the cyano and see what happens. It shouldn't come back much, if at all.

You can also add Polyfilter in your back chambers. It's used in kidney dialsysis machines and really binds up phosphate. Most lfs' has it as does Drs. F&S. SH

Was able to get to the LFS today, picked up the polyfilter and added to back tank. This morning the Cyno was still traceable on the sand area, but none were on the rocks. I've also added 6 more astraea snails(2 in the refugium) and a serpent star as part of the clean up crew.

i'm using a poly filter sponge in my external put it in the last chamber before the return to tank it removes phosphates, nitrites, amonia, protiens etc it goes different colours depending what its removed have been told its very good. guy at LFS did trial where he had skimmer in his nano running with bubbles forming etc he then added polyfilter in his external still with his skimmer running and the following day the skimmer stopped forming bubbles. proving it was removing the protiens etc his skimmer was collecting can be useful i suppose where space is a problem i would imagine a skimmer is best for removing stuff still if you have the room.

i'm using mainly to hopefully control phosphates and keep nitrates down while my tank fully matures

you can get it off ebay for about £10

cost £14 from LFS

hope all goes well with your tank :) :)

Most reactions

Back