Tank size:55 gal
pH: 7.5
ammonia: 0
nitrite: .20
nitrate: 0

kH: 180
gH: 120

Hello! I have two questions please:
1.  My established veil koi angel stopped eating about a week ago.  No outward symptoms of illness (clamped fins, labored breathing,  twitching)....just won't eat. She stays at the top of the tank at night in the front right corner and sits near the bottom by the heater during the day.  Sounds some at night.  Today she had a 1/4" string  of white poo....after reading your site for a long time seems it may be a parasite?  She looks perfectly normal otherwise. 
2. New larger veil koi angelfish added to tanktoday. Purchased at LFS. Watched the fish for quite awhile at store before making my selection.....checking skin/scale condition,  fins in good shape,  activity,  etc. Once acclimated and added to tank, she is pretty constantly moving her head from side to side/twitching? Just her head. Also tapping/hitting glass with her mouth. She looks pristine.  I see no issues with outward condition at all. Could this be situational or stress related? 
I have a 55-gallon tank stocked as follows: the 2 angels mentioned,  4 small marbled angels (about quarter sized), 6 neon tetras,  6 peppered cories,  and 3 longfin albino bristlenose plecos. No issued with Amy of my other fish in 2 years.  Parameters all normal....pH 7.5, no ammonia spikes, worst reading is hard water at 180, but  always that way. Recently had 3 angels with fin rot from LFS moved to hospital tank all died. The two angels I ask about now have no symptoms of that. I have a natural 24-hour cycle LED light system so lights are not harsh.  I feed a combo of flake discs,  freeze-dried bloodworms, algae/shrimp wafers (for plecos and cories but angels like them too) and fresh cucumber every two days. I SO enjoy the angels (and all my fish)....any suggestions for diagnosis/treatment? There are absolutely no other symptoms I can see. 
THANKS in advance! Kristi

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 50% weekly

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Fluval Prime, biorings

Tank inhabitants: see above

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): see above

Exposure to chemicals: none

Digital photo (include if possible):

Tropical Fish Emergency Articles

Hi and welcome.

it sounds like the 1st angel has all the signs of Hexamita and because it has stopped eating there's very little you can do now. I'm sorry to say that it is more than likely that you will lose him/her within the next few days. If you can get your hands on a anti-biotic medicine today there is a chance but it is slim. Generally once a fish with Hexamita stops eating the battle is lost.

The second angel - well I can tell you that my female does the head shake thing. I see her do it regular - normally in front of the male ... I don't know why she does it but it's never developed into anything more.

Two things that have stood out here is that you mention you have hard water. Looking at your stock list you have all soft water fish and this will be causing them stress. This is probably the reason for the angels illness as Hexamita is stress related.

You can read more about Hexamita and how to spot it and treat it here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/439927-hexamita-bacterial-infection/

The second thing is that you have a reading for Nitrites and this needs attention. Nitrites and Ammonia should always be zero and if you get a reading for either it's time to do a water change and get it down to zero.

Hope that is helpful for you ~ Akasha

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back