Nano Reef Aquapod 24 Gal

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Forget mangrove...not as good as people thought. Chaeto, my boy, chaeto. SH

Just thought I'd add a couple more full tank pictures.
pic34_lrphse5lunarlights.jpg
This is with both lunar lights on. (white and blue)
pic34_lrphse5lunarlights2.jpg
This is with the back refugium light on.

I have 6 mangroves in my sump and i think they're a good option for nutrient export, the only downside is they do strip magnesium from the water. Saying that I wouldn't have them on their own, mine are in with assorted MA.

Mangroves are beautiful plants and lovely additions to a sump. However, akillez, make your life easy for now and stick with macro. Chaeto is a wonderful nutrient exporter.

Said once again, a nano reef is a glass of water compared to the ocean. Extremely small volume. You DON'T want to dose ANYTHING if it is avoidable (short of calcium). The more you do to 'shake the cage', the more you have to risk with these systems. Large marine systems can handle alterations to their chemistry much better. IMO, NO ONE should have a magnesium test kit several weeks after starting up their tank. Totally unnecessary. Get your tank thru the maturity phase first. JMO. SH

I've added the last stage of LR, this type is tonga branch, 3 lbs. cured. I was looking all over for the LR, and finally got some while I was down in Los Angeles last week. Placed LR on the top of the mesa reef, hmmmm. looks okay I think. Ill add pictures later this week. With my 3 month anniversary for my tank coming up, I'll be adding 3 frag corals (green metallic star polyp, Zooanthids, purple mushrooms) also decided to add a 2 inch crocea clam. Bought this package through VIVID AQUARIUM. These guys a great, knowledgible and very helpful on picking the right live stock for my tank. Great price also. Should be getting the package of stuff next week. All my water parameters are good, nitrates did go back down to 0. Refugium looks good with both Cheato algae and 3 mangroves. I'm going to be keeping my eye on the mangroves. I also tranferred my orginal hitch hiker, the pencil urchin to refugium. Didnt feel like waking up and finding my tank rearranged.

Recieved my package of goodies from Vivid Aquarium. Consisting of Metallic green star polyp, Crocea Clam 2-3", 9 Blue mushroom rock, colony of orange Zoos and an extra coral, Orange tree gorgonian(hmm didnt order this guy , but I'll take it).
pic37_mtlgreenstarintro.jpg
Metallic Green star Polyp Frag.
pic39_croceaclam.jpg
Electric Blue Crocea Clam.
pic40_bluemushroom.jpg
Blue Mushroom, and 1 green mushroom Rock.

Heres more pics, Need some feedback on the funky added LR formation.
pic41_lrphs5.jpg
Full tank shot, do you like the Tonga branch set-up?

pic39_croceaclam2.jpg
Side view of this electrified Clam.
pic38_anthelia.jpg
This is my first coral (anthelia sp.) introduced 3/9/2006.

It looks great! I like the Tonga branch, though it looks like it's just lying there, not sure where you'd put it though. I wonder what an entire reef with Tonga would look like? That clam looks great and your tank as always looks good. Do you have enough lighting for the clam? Your thread is a pleasure to read, and I have learned a lot from your success, though I did agree that in the beginning you went a little too fast with the stocking for my taste. That took guts, I'd be too scared. Mine will be the most boring nano thread ever!

llj:)

akillez...I know I've been probably more critical at times, but, just so you should know that it is just to help keep people out of trouble. Personally, I think the tank has moved MUCH more quickly than I would have ever recommended to most nano reefers. HOWEVER, your tank DOES look good. Take good care of it my friend. WTG. SH

I agree with SH, you're goin fast, but it does look really healthy as is :) Keep up the good work and the awesome pics :good:

Thanks everyone, hopefully my livestock will enjoy their new home, here in my tank. As always, I personally woud like to "thank you SH" for all the informative comments. You have paved the way for much success to many nano tanks here in the forum. My lighting should be substantial 70w HQI, 14000K sunpod. Before ordering I did research, and asked the Vivid folks about this Crocea Clam, they stated that I have sufficient lighting as they have the same tank with both Clams And SPS coral. As for the Tonga Branch, Im thinking of placing a few Corals on the LR, not now of course, but at my six month maturation period. :D

There's a lot in there for now. Take a breath and settle in. Looks good. Look's like another 'flagship' nano tank in the making. SH

Upate on the itemized price list.
Chaeto Macroalgae (Ebay) 13.96
Feather Duster/ x2 (LFS) 27.98*
Ocellaris Clown Fish/ Pair (LFS) 31.98*
Firefish (LFS) 14.00*
Zooplex (LFS) 11.98*
Replacement Sponge for powerhead (LFS) 7.53*
LiquidLife Bio-Plankton (LFS) 26.93*
Astraea Snail/ x2 (LFS) for refugium 6.47*
Clam Combo/ 7 bullseye mushrooms, Macro Algae, Mini feather dusters. (LFS) 32.32*
Hydro-Flo Water Deflector (DR F&S) 9.99
Marine Biosediment for refugium (DR F&S) 14.99
Magic Cleaning Rod (DR F&S) 11.99
Kent Marine SeaSquirt Feeder (DR F&S) 19.99
Cellpore Bio-Slab (DR F&S) 24.99
Purigen (DR F&S) 18.79
Nanoballs 600ct. (DR F&S) 12.99
CPR Aqua-fuge PS Refugium /w Skimmer (Ebay) 213.20
Outside Mini cooling fan (Walmart) 16.11*
3 lbs. of tonga branch LR (Vivid AQ) 15.99
Mangrove Pods/ x3 (Ebay) 16.00
Beginner Nano Combo Pack (zoos, mushrms, polyps, clam, gorg) (Vivid AQ) 129.95
Catalina Ocean Water/ x4 (Petco) 42.89*
Distilled R/O Water 10 gal. (LGS) 5.39*
total here: $721.02
total prior to this list on page 3: 1172.08
GRAND TOTAL: $1893.10 :hyper:
I think my price list will start to narrow, since I wont be purchasing any Expensive add-ons.
The only other thing That I might add on, is a Chiller.

Most reactions

Back