Mystery fish!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Curious! And I'm sure someone here will know what kind of fish this is. My guess is some species of rainbow fish?
I can't figure out how to steal the photo only to upload here, I'm sorry!

Angelfish? Is that what you are talking about?
Haha, nope, sorry, I tried to link to the right photo, but it's tricky! Even I can ID an angelfish :rofl: If you go to the other photos, there's an oddly shaped, brownish coloured fish, but the shape sorta reminds me of rainbow fish, but I don't know those well, and the shape is pretty extreme, so maybe something else altogether?

Haha, nope, sorry, I tried to link to the right photo, but it's tricky! Even I can ID an angelfish :rofl: If you go to the other photos, there's an oddly shaped, brownish coloured fish, but the shape sorta reminds me of rainbow fish, but I don't know those well, and the shape is pretty extreme, so maybe something else altogether?

I forgot the name but it is a type of rainbowfish

Aha! That looks likely, thank you! The google image photos vary soooo much. Does the shape just get more extreme as they age or something? It's odd. The one in the ad looks deformed really, the shape looks so uncomfortable
I think the shape varies, maybe with breeding like some other fish? Not sure. But yes the photos of that species vary greatly

I have no idea what fish you lot are looking at but the link has a red devil angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare)

Glossolepis incisus males get deeper bodies as they get older. But there are no rainbowfish in that link.

I have no idea what fish you lot are looking at but the link has a red devil angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare)

Glossolepis incisus males get deeper bodies as they get older. But there are no rainbowfish in that link.
If you click the link it’s in one of the smaller photos to the side, screenshots attached
7CEA0514-91A0-4C0E-843F-0D72A5B3BCE2.png

Yeah, I'll throw in my vote for G. incisus, but it's an odd looking one. I've never seen one that humped up before. I wish the lighting were better in that picture--it would be interesting to see the coloring.

Yeah, I'll throw in my vote for G. incisus, but it's an odd looking one. I've never seen one that humped up before. I wish the lighting were better in that picture--it would be interesting to see the coloring.
The hump is weird, right? I know that rainbows can look sorta lumpy between the head and body, but that seems extreme. If you google image search the species though, there are a couple of others that are similarly shaped. But it's still extreme. Maybe bad breeding or poor conditions?

If you click the link it’s in one of the smaller photos to the side, screenshots attachedView attachment 166881
Why didn't I think of just taking a screenshot?? Doh! Here's me trying to download and save the one image, and not being able to save it in the right format, and I could have just taken a screenshot... :rofl: :blush:

Thanks for saving me from my own technological ineptness! And proving to @Colin_T that while I'm not fish species expert, even I can recognise an angel fish when I see one 🤣

As an aside, while I'm learning - that albino pleco has to a female, right? That's about the chunkiest midsection I've ever seen! lol. I know that there's other ways to tell, like the lack of bristles and something to do with the vent area, but the chunky midsection is also a clue with plecs, I think? But not sure.

The hump is weird, right? I know that rainbows can look sorta lumpy between the head and body, but that seems extreme. If you google image search the species though, there are a couple of others that are similarly shaped. But it's still extreme. Maybe bad breeding or poor conditions?
My guess would be a very old individual which has bred a lot. The hump is most pronounced in adult males, and I could be wrong but I think I've noticed it becoming more pronounced at breeding time.

Cursor over the picture - right click - copy image address - open new tab - paste and go. Or open Adobe Photoshop - new image - choose location - paste ang go, then adust lighting, colours etc

redfish.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back