Mysterious Fry have appeared in new tank, what next?

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TomLionel7

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Long time lurker, first time poster here!

I'm about 4 days into cycling a new 30 litre biOrb tank that contains a mix of live and artificial plants. I'm cycling the tank with Fluval Biological Enhancer and its heated to about 25 degrees.

All is going well so far, and then today when inspecting the tank I appear to have two Fry swimming around the top of the tank! I have no idea where they've come from, though I'm suspecting it's from my Anubias nana as it came from a tank with fish in it (Gourami's I think) at the pet shop.

I have no other fish in the tank as I'm not finished cycling, so there's no predators to be concerned about. Right now they seem to be eating the specs of bacteria from the Fluval Biological Enhancer that have floated to the top of the tank because of the filter.

What should my next steps be? I kept guppy fry about 15 years ago so I appreciate the survival rate of two is low, but aside from that I've completely forgotten what to do. Is the bacteria enough to eat for now, should I get fry food? etc. Can anyone tell me what they might be or if they are gourami's or how old they could be?

Many thanks!

here they are:
IMG-20230707-WA0000.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 11.58.12.png

They could literally be anything 😅 you'll have to wait until they're a bit bigger to know for sure!

You could put them in a smaller container with an air stone? Float it in the main tank for water temperature? Bit of java moss or something to help them feel a bit safer and just feed them powdered flake? As often as you can manage but obviously in tiny amounts as there's only 2. Little water change every day and bob's your uncle...

Most reactions

Back