My two ugly 29s

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

anewbie

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So I recently posted one of my 29s in a contest here and it received exactly 0 votes (tanks with plastic plants received more votes) so it must be pretty awful. I thought I would post both 29s and see what simple aquascaping they need so next contest it can get 1 vote instead of 0 (the white one received 0; the black one was not posted):
1b.jpg

1a.jpg

So what minor tweaks are needed or does everything have to be ripped out and plastic plants added ?

I really like both of them. I think a black background would help both tanks and I’d move your internal filter to the left in the top tank.

In the top tank I’d maybe take out some of the plants that are not thriving as much as the others and when you take the photo try and arrange the leaves in one direction so they don’t look quite as chaotic (I do like the natural few though)

What kind of BN is that in the left hand corner of the top tank?

Wills

I don't win either, so keep that in mind. Personally I don't see anything wrong with either tank, I actually like them. The plants look quite good. The only thing I would change is the white filter on second picture, but I like the jungle val and the net plant, can't remember what it is. I don't like to see the plumbing but that is really a personal preference. I don't like plastic plants.

In the end if you enjoy your tanks and the critters are happy it doesn't really matter.

I really like both of them. I think a black background would help both tanks and I’d move your internal filter to the left in the top tank.

In the top tank I’d maybe take out some of the plants that are not thriving as much as the others and when you take the photo try and arrange the leaves in one direction so they don’t look quite as chaotic (I do like the natural few though)

What kind of BN is that in the left hand corner of the top tank?

Wills
The internal filter (black sponge) is a matten filter with glued in glass braces; to move it the tank would have to be drained; the braces removed and reglued so a lot of work; might be easier to just move the plants.

The pleco in the top tank is a female super-red female. She is an adult and around 3 inches. I have found with lemon/super red a lot of them do not grow to full size but some do - i had a group of 6 lemon - 2 grew to 4 inches; 2 were full size (around 5 1/2 - 6 inches) and 2 stayed dwarf at around 3 inches. Sex did not seem to make a huge difference so i think it has to do with genetics.

I don't win either, so keep that in mind. Personally I don't see anything wrong with either tank, I actually like them. The plants look quite good. The only thing I would change is the white filter on second picture, but I like the jungle val and the net plant, can't remember what it is. I don't like to see the plumbing but that is really a personal preference. I don't like plastic plants.

In the end if you enjoy your tanks and the critters are happy it doesn't really matter.
I agree I should do something with the white pvc of the sponge filter; I'll have to think abut it - in my 40b and 120 they are completely covered by plants and can't be seen (120 pictured below); but those tanks have co2 assistance the two pictured are low tech; a small sword might be able to cover it appropriately.

(the 120 has two sponge filters one in each back corner but both are completely non visible as is the back wall)

120_march_27_2021.jpg

I dont vote for my self either... Feels wrong

Also, I like your tanks (I like the black sand one better) for your other one you could spread out your plants more or put them in a corner.

Paint the background black.
Make the hardware less noticeable.
Keep background plants in the background.

I think that the tank looks great, But the competition is tough around here. Also, I think that the contests here should be anonymous, we shouldn't know who owns the tank and it's backstory before we vote. This can bring up favoritism and bias.

And finally, I guess that I have no honor, because not only did I cast the first vote, I cast it for myself. :rofl:

Paint the background black.
Make the hardware less noticeable.
Keep background plants in the background.

I think that the tank looks great, But the competition is tough around here. Also, I think that the contests here should be anonymous, we shouldn't know who owns the tank and it's backstory before we vote. This can bring up favoritism and bias.

And finally, I guess that I have no honor, because not only did I cast the first vote, I cast it for myself. :rofl:
I never really look at the stories or the person who owns it until after I vote... I go by how much I like it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back