My test results

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JWL

Reaction score
PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate
(Test Tube Order)

The test tubes are in that order with the card behind them. I used some filter media from an already established tank to get started. I also have added two Searchem products. Stability and Prime I have been adding often to help the cycle. I have a 55GAL tank and it is stocked as follows:

1 Honey Gourami
6 Golden Wonder Killifish
4 Black Mollies
3 Zebra Danios
5 Swordtail (Assorted)
4 Bumblebee Platies
4 Panda Cories
4 Sterbai Cories

Attachments

• IMG_20220703_080601.jpg
    IMG_20220703_080601.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220703_080609.jpg
    IMG_20220703_080609.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 39
Nothing the fish look healthy everything looks good I was just posting results of my first test to see if there is anything I need to watch for or look out for. How does everything look?

Attachments

• IMG_20220703_081949.jpg
    IMG_20220703_081949.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Looks good...you don't need the Stability, just the Prime, during water changes

How long has the tank been set up?

We bought the tank last weekend. It's the TopFin 55Gal Kit from PetSmart. It included the TopFin Silentstream 75 powerfilter. We added the fish through the week. I just need some advice as far as what I could do to keep things going well. When should I do my first water change? How often would you recommend doing water changes? I have plenty of carbon filters purchased. Should I add another Silentstream 75 powerfilter? I have a large Waterfall bubbler we added an assortment of plants also as seen in the picture might add a few more. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome to TFF!

Your tank is likely not cycled since you just added fish and it is a new tank. (Read link below). I would do an 75-80% WC whenever ammonia or nitrite is above zero, check daily until levels remain at zero and you begin to get some nitrate levels. After that, do a WC when nitrate is between 10-20 ppm. You generally don't need carbon filters. If your filters have cartridges, I would look into modifying them to use reusable media.

Agree with the above; pay special attention to the "fish-in" cycling section of the link provided

Reactions: JWL
Keep watching ammonia and nitrate levels until they start to increase then do a 75-80% WC and add Prime to the tank. That's about it then? Just keep watching levels and changing water as needed? Repeating over and over?

I seen something about crushed coral in a bag in the filter to help the pH a little. Also noticed you said I don't need carbon filters? How would you recommend I set up the filter? Just use some filter media and I should be good? I'm using well water and it looks like the water from the well is at about a 6.0 pH level. My fish would be more happy at about a 7 how could I maintain a 7 pH consistently?

Keep watching ammonia and nitrate levels until they start to increase then do a 75-80% WC and add Prime to the tank. That's about it then? Just keep watching levels and changing water as needed? Repeating over and over?

I seen something about crushed coral in a bag in the filter to help the pH a little. Also noticed you said I don't need carbon filters? How would you recommend I set up the filter? Just use some filter media and I should be good? I'm using well water and it looks like the water from the well is at about a 6.0 pH level. My fish would be more happy at about a 7 how could I maintain a 7 pH consistently?
The picture shows your ph to be at the 6ph mark. It could be lower than that.

What would be the best way to increase the pH? They make pH up they have crushed coral so many different ways I was just wondering what would work best for me to maintain 7 pH?

What would be the best way to increase the pH? They make pH up they have crushed coral so many different ways I was just wondering what would work best for me to maintain 7 pH?
What is the pH of your tap water? You generally don't want to chase pH but rather choose your stock to fit the natural pH of your area.

Our pH is low naturally at about 6 when we check. I didn't want to chase pH either but if there is a way to add some crushed coral every 6 months and keep it around a 7 we would be satisfied with our community options.

You'll also need to gravel vacuum any uneaten food or waste from the bottom of the tank. Once the tank cycles you'll find a maintenance routine that works best for you. Most people do at least a 50% WC weekly with their tanks to make sure they are not only keeping their water quality good, but also to replenish minerals. Water change amount and frequency will be highly dependent on the bioload of the tank. Move overstocked = more/larger water changes needed to keep nitrates low.

That's right you don't need carbon. The best way to set up the filter is to use media that doesn't need to be replaced often (if at all) like course sponge and ceramic rings. Simply rinse the media when it gets clogged and put it back in. You want to fill the HOB with media so there's a lot of surface area for BB to colonize, but you don't want to overfill the filter to the point that it is impeding flow.

I always forget to mention vacuuming as it is something I just 'do' while siphoning out the water. Since I have a 125 gal, I've lately been doing a deep clean of 1/4 to 1/3 of the substrate. With a pre-filter I only clean the internal sponge every month or so, it rarely picks up debris since the pre-filter catches most of it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back