My Tanks Too Big For Goldfish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PurpleFish

Reaction score
I currently have a 180 litre tank with 2 goldfish in it but I've been told it's too big and I need to either add more fish or downsize. Is this true? They seem happy swimming about in it. I have 2 fan tails one is about an inch long and the other 2 inches long. I got told it's too stressful for them having a large space but it's full of plants and hiding places :unsure:

what you have been told is complete nonsense I'm afraid - no tank is too big for any fish, otherwise how would they survive in rivers, lakes and the ocean?

Depending on the sex and exact species, it may be a tad too small when they grow into the monster poop machines that they soon will be :lol:

Dont add anything else.

I agree 100% with ZZ. Your tank is a lovely size for two goldies. Most people massively underestimate the room goldfish need, keep them in tanks that are too small and the fish either get sick and die or don't grow properly.

I'm sure your fish are going to be very happy, and they have plenty of room to grow big and healthy (you would even have space for another fantail or fancy type goldie, IMO), so don't listen to anyone who says otherwise :good:

Not to sound patronising, but I am glad that I have finally met a goldfish keeper with the sense not to stick two potentially large fish in a 5 litre bowl. Well done.

^^ Agreed! It is a rare and wonderful thing; all kudos to you, OP!

Oh, one thing; what filtration do you have? If you don't already have one, you might want to look at getting an large external canister filter sometime; as fishprotector says, goldies are very messy and create huge amounts of waste as they get bigger and internal/HOB filters struggle to cope.

Well I'm glad it not too big now as I was a bit worried. The person who told me works in a pet shop so I guess I thought they knew better. I also got told they won't grow any bigger than they are just now but I'm guessing that's a lie too? Growing up my goldfish only lasted a few weeks then died but now I know why as there wasn't a filter etc

Oh, one thing; what filtration do you have? If you don't already have one, you might want to look at getting an large external canister filter sometime; as fishprotector says, goldies are very messy and create huge amounts of waste as they get bigger and internal/HOB filters struggle to cope.

I have the fluval U3 just now but I plan to upgrade to the U4 or something better if you can recommened something

Welcome to the forum :hi:

Rule number 1: Never listen to what your LFS says!

You are doing great, your fish will love the big tank and they will need it once they grow.

Have a look at this here and you will see how big they get and what to expect.

You are doing great, your fish will love the big tank and they will need it once they grow.

That is amazing how big they can get! I always remember a friend having a 'normal' goldfish who seemed huge but was kept in a goldfish bowl. He only had room to swim in circles so I hope my fish realise how lucky they are :lol:

I have the fluval U3 just now but I plan to upgrade to the U4 or something better if you can recommened something
There are loads of external filters; Eheims and TetraTecs are very highly regarded, but are quite expensive. I use the ones from All Pond Solutions, which work well and are very reasonably priced.

I would really go for an external with goldies; you have so much more room for media, without taking up any room in the tank.

Filter wise, I would look at something the size of a tetratec 1200 / fluval 405.

That is amazing how big they can get! I always remember a friend having a 'normal' goldfish who seemed huge but was kept in a goldfish bowl. He only had room to swim in circles so I hope my fish realise how lucky they are :lol:

How long did your friends' goldfish live? Some people think they live a happy life for 1-2 years. They don't realize that they should live much, much longer and I'm sure yours are very happy and will have a long life thanks to that big tank. They are very lucky indeed! :good:

I second the external filter suggestions. Tetratec, Fluval or APS, all good.

Somehow he lived until he was 8. His water never got changed, no filter or airstones etc. Now I really wonder how he lived so long.

I'm going to have a look into these filters thanks for the advice :)

Aww, the poor thing! Just goes to show how tough goldfish can be, I guess :(

They are, IMO, one of the most mistreated and abused of all animals. I'm sure yours will live to much nearer their expected 20-25 years, so you're going to have a lot of pleasure from them :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back