My Tank Just Wont Cycle

Oh , I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were using the same bottle.. Though for some odd reason it may have went bad, you just can never know for sure with things like that :X .

Why don't you just seed some media from your other tank into your bigger tank? Seems like that would be the easiest way to get your tank to cycle :good:. Or, try a massive water change and then re-add the Turbo-start, that may kick-start the cycle process again.


Also, I would advise getting a larger tank for the bichir as many types of bichir top out at 1'+. So a 30 gal tank won't be big enough for him for very long.
 
Oh , I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were using the same bottle.. Though for some odd reason it may have went bad, you just can never know for sure with things like that :X .

Why don't you just seed some media from your other tank into your bigger tank? Seems like that would be the easiest way to get your tank to cycle :good:. Or, try a massive water change and then re-add the Turbo-start, that may kick-start the cycle process again.


Also, I would advise getting a larger tank for the bichir as many types of bichir top out at 1'+. So a 30 gal tank won't be big enough for him for very long.

Okay, i actualy beat you to that :P
About an hour or so ago, i put the old filter pad that was in my 10g into my 28g tank, and ill wait a couple of days, and see if i see any improvement.

And the bottle couldent have gone bad, because i add the turbo start into both tanks at the same time.

I already tried the large water change, did nothing... except lower the ammonia to 0 :|

As for the bichir, i am keeping a tank with pre-historic fish only, and they are hard to find ones that dont get too big, so i have figured out that once he starts to outgrow the tank, i will eather sell him, or give him away to a good home. Im sure somebody will want him.


PS. I just got done testing my water again, i also tested it about 2 hours ago, and the ammonia has dropped from .50 to less than .25 within those 2 hours, so i think that filter pad may have done the trick... I am going to pray it keeps going down, and it keeps working... at this point it could go eather way, good or bad... So everyone, say a prayer for me lol.

Thanks.


Oh, and also, how long does it usualy take to cycle a tank using fish, when using a mature filter pad from a cycled tank (like my 10g tank for example)
 
im guessing you followed dosing instructions...however, how many fish were in the 10 gallon and the 28 gallon? it probably just couldn't catch up with your bio load. That stuff does work. however, the bacteria in those products are usually weak and aren't worth it for larger tanks unless you need to fix spikes. I don't know what to tell you, people have had mixed results with turbo start. I had a bad experience with it so I'd recommend against it. Move that "expensive" fish into the 10 gallon and cycle that 28 gallon w/ some guppies. (or just go buy some java moss or ferns ^^)
 
Dr. Bogger, I'm glad things seem to be working out with your 28 gallon. Quite odd about the 2 tanks, 1 cycling, 1 not, with I could think of an explanation. Only thing I can think of if highly unlikely - that one tank was not properly de-chlorinated. I doubt that was the issue though.

Anyway, good luck with the tank. Sorry you had to repeat yourself so much!
 
im guessing you followed dosing instructions...however, how many fish were in the 10 gallon and the 28 gallon? it probably just couldn't catch up with your bio load. That stuff does work. however, the bacteria in those products are usually weak and aren't worth it for larger tanks unless you need to fix spikes. I don't know what to tell you, people have had mixed results with turbo start. I had a bad experience with it so I'd recommend against it. Move that "expensive" fish into the 10 gallon and cycle that 28 gallon w/ some guppies. (or just go buy some java moss or ferns ^^)

Actually, i have more fish in the 10gal than the 28gal tank... The 10g tank has about 30 or maybe even 40 little baby guppies, some which are growing to be a pritty good size... their ages are all mixed, starting from about over 2 months old, to about a couple of days old.

And my 28g only has maybe 6 guppies, and the bichir.

Also, im going to go test my ammonia again, and ill let you know the status of the test result.
 
Blah, the ammona is back upto 0.50ppm... but i wonder if the ammonia has been cycling, but there is just maybe a trace of a different kind of ammonia present that cant be converted... Because my ammonia seems to be staying right at .50ppm

I guess i should prolly ask this question...


Aproximatly How much ammonia should be produced per day with the following fish:
5 Adult Guppies
1 Bichir (about 4 1/2 inches long)

Once i know that info, it will better help me figure out what exactly is happening.



P.S. Sorry for making so many posts, i prolly should have just edited one.
 
That other guy recommended java moss or java ferns, because plants are supposed to help a bit by using some of the ammonia.

That stinks that your ammonia is back up again! By any chance, does your water conditioner eliminate ammonia? I just thought of that, becuase you said before that a large water change brought your ammonia from something like 1 all the way down to 0. It should not do that just by diluting your tank water. If you water conditioner eliminates all ammonia, it could be that doing water changes got all the ammonia out, which might starve the beneficial bacteria out? If your tap water is treated with chloromine instead of chlorine, then you have no choice but to use a conditioner that eliminates ammonia, since a pure de-chlorinator would leave behind the ammonia part of chloromine. (chloromine is chlorine and ammonia somehow bonded together, more stable than chlorine alone, and never evaporates out like chlorine does)

Anyway, perhaps you can post what product you use to condition or de-chlorinate your tap water. I use Seachem Prime. It does address ammonia, but has not ever interfered with the cycle in my tanks.

I'm probably just grasping at straws with my theory, hopefully your tank will work itself out soon!

Also, sorry no idea how much ammonia your fish might produce in a day. Even if I did have an estimate on how much it would raise the ppm, it would depend on feeding habits, etc.
 
That other guy recommended java moss or java ferns, because plants are supposed to help a bit by using some of the ammonia.

That stinks that your ammonia is back up again! By any chance, does your water conditioner eliminate ammonia? I just thought of that, becuase you said before that a large water change brought your ammonia from something like 1 all the way down to 0. It should not do that just by diluting your tank water. If you water conditioner eliminates all ammonia, it could be that doing water changes got all the ammonia out, which might starve the beneficial bacteria out? If your tap water is treated with chloromine instead of chlorine, then you have no choice but to use a conditioner that eliminates ammonia, since a pure de-chlorinator would leave behind the ammonia part of chloromine. (chloromine is chlorine and ammonia somehow bonded together, more stable than chlorine alone, and never evaporates out like chlorine does)

Anyway, perhaps you can post what product you use to condition or de-chlorinate your tap water. I use Seachem Prime. It does address ammonia, but has not ever interfered with the cycle in my tanks.

I'm probably just grasping at straws with my theory, hopefully your tank will work itself out soon!

Also, sorry no idea how much ammonia your fish might produce in a day. Even if I did have an estimate on how much it would raise the ppm, it would depend on feeding habits, etc.

The 2 products i use to get rid of chlorine and chlormine are API Tap Water Conditioner, and API Stress Coat.

I have also used a couple of water clearifiers in the tank, and also a waste control that is suppose to add the bacteria that helps brake down waste into ammonia.

Those products are as follows:

P Clear by Nutrafin
B Clear by Nutrafin
Waste Control by Nutrafin

I have also used some ph stabilizers too.

I have used PH Increaser by Jungle, and PH Decreaser by Jungle
And PH Stabilizer by Jungle
And after i got sick of messing around with increasers and decreasers, i started using API Proper PH 7.0

Thats is every chemicle i have ever used in that tank... do you think any of those would interfear with the cycle process, and/or turbo start?
 
I don't know if those chemicals would affect the cycling, but that's a lot of chemicals to be putting into a fish tank. I'd say they were all unnecessary except the water conditioner.

Why are you messing around with your pH so much?
 
I don't know if those chemicals would affect the cycling, but that's a lot of chemicals to be putting into a fish tank. I'd say they were all unnecessary except the water conditioner.

Why are you messing around with your pH so much?

I was messing with the ph, because they just flushed the city water, and the ph of the tap water was over 8.0... so i need to bring it back down to 7.0.

Thats the only reason i was messing with the ph.
 
See.. this is why most of those products aren't recommended. They're just SO unreliable and a big waste of money.
The only thing I'd ever try again would be Bio-Spira, but even then I'd hesitate b/c it's expensive and you just never know if you're getting a good batch.

Anywho... to me it sounds like your tank just isn't cycled and the stuff didn't work.
I know you said it worked in your 10gal, but the cynic in me just doesn't believe that those products work. Hopefully it did though and when you put some of the 10gals media into the big tank it will help.

For now I would just keep doing water changes making sure ammonia didn't get over .25. Keep using the Turbo Start as well I guess. Doesn't hurt to keep trying.... specially since you already spent the money on it :P heh


And FYI... we have the same tank and stand! :D lol
 

Most reactions

Back
Top