My Tank Apparently Smells (help?)

Nicolas

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Panama City, FL, USA
Hi everyone,

People at my dad's business have been informing me that my 55 gallon planted aquarium smells moldy or mildewy. I need to rid this smell as soon as possible. The tank is spotless. I have have done about a 40% partial water change where I vacuumed the gravel. I re added activated carbon today to help remove the odor. Will the smell clear after a couple days? What should I do?
 
Hi everyone,

People at my dad's business have been informing me that my 55 gallon planted aquarium smells moldy or mildewy. I need to rid this smell as soon as possible. The tank is spotless. I have have done about a 40% partial water change where I vacuumed the gravel. I re added activated carbon today to help remove the odor. Will the smell clear after a couple days? What should I do?

What are the results of your last water test ? Moldy and mildewy smells in some cases can be related to the filter. When was the last time you gave a it a rinse ? Careful not to destroy your bacteria. Always clean your filter and media in fish tank water, get a bucket and add some water from your fish tank, clean them in that. Lol, i nicked the last bit from 5teady, but dont tell him anyone. Shhhhh... our secret.
 
are you sure it's actually the tank, could be condensation has caused damp in the room or if water's been splashed onto the carpet/wallpaper then this could be smelling now
 
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40
ph 7.4


The floors are tile and there is no wallpaper. I noted when I cleaned out my Magnum 350 that the sponge smelt a little weird. The sponge has only been in there for about a week in a half. I added fresh activated carbon today.
 
I had a few. I have trimmed all the plants that grew out of the tank but my Water Sprite is still touching the surface.
 
where does your dad work? is it an old building? and can you smell it or is it just the others??, it could be anything from drips from the water fountain to coffee on the floor, i have never smelt mildew-ie smell in any of my tanks ( but thats not to say that maybe it can`t happen)...
hope you get to the bottom of this, must be really bugging you, especially if your not certain that it is from the tank

shelagh xxx

ps, ask kindley that they dont go spraying air freshners etc to cover the smell up in the mean time :)
 
where does your dad work? is it an old building? and can you smell it or is it just the others??, it could be anything from drips from the water fountain to coffee on the floor, i have never smelt mildew-ie smell in any of my tanks ( but thats not to say that maybe it can`t happen)...
hope you get to the bottom of this, must be really bugging you, especially if your not certain that it is from the tank

shelagh xxx

ps, ask kindley that they dont go spraying air freshners etc to cover the smell up in the mean time :)


Its a new building. Floors are tile. I initially thought it was some algae covered leaves. While doing trimming I put the leaves in a bucket and threw them out. I took the bucket away from the business because I thought that was what was making the shop stink. I guess it wasn't. When I did the 40% change I spilt a little bit of water on the floor. I mopped it up. What are some fish safe ways to clean the shop to get this smell erradicated? I don't know if the water change and adding carbon will clean up the smell. How long do you think it takes for the smell to leave the relatively small office. The door has been propped open for awhile.
 
Hi everyone,

People at my dad's business have been informing me that my 55 gallon planted aquarium smells moldy or mildewy. I need to rid this smell as soon as possible. The tank is spotless. I have have done about a 40% partial water change where I vacuumed the gravel. I re added activated carbon today to help remove the odor. Will the smell clear after a couple days? What should I do?

What are the results of your last water test ? Moldy and mildewy smells in some cases can be related to the filter. When was the last time you gave a it a rinse ? Careful not to destroy your bacteria. Take the sponges out and keep them wet and then give the filter a damn good clean with warm water. See if thatr helps.

oops, dont do this.....

Always clean your filter and media in fish tank water, get a bucket and add some water from your fish tank, clean them in that ;)
 
to be honest ,although i appreciate its a business and you dont want a smell in there, it would definatley be better to find out what the smell is first, if we can sort that out then the smell would soon disappear

( take this from some one who once had a lounge that smelt like my LFS- had so many new tank set ups in there, now the only thing i need to worry about is the smell of smoke everytime i cook!!)

no but honestly it will soon get sorted..

shelagh xxx


ps, does the mop smell of damp?? i have forgotten the number of times i have gone to wash my floors and the mop was smelly to start with and i really regretted it, a good bleach wash will sort that.. if not that we can think of some thing else
 
The mop smells fine. To describe the smell it feels like it hits you in the forehead when you walk into the room. But how long does it generally take for the smell to dissipate?
 
Check the under side of the hood. Sometimes a little food will get up there and rot.
Guess how I know this! Don T.
 
Check the under side of the hood. Sometimes a little food will get up there and rot.
Guess how I know this! Don T.


Thinks Don Trinko for your help. I already cleaned my glass canopy and i removed some greenish material from under the black plastic trim but its nothing major. My dad's business is a glass business and we have a customer coming at 3 PM (i'm in florida usa) and its an all around rush to make the smell go away.
 
Put some Pot Pouri near the tank but dont spray air freshner too close. Other than that, stop feeding the fish beans and other carbs....and hopefully they will stop farting :osama:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top