My Tang And Ich

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

leecara

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i have had a little outburst of ich(white spot) on my yellow eyed bristle tooth tang and maybe my small clownfish but at the min just the tang im worried about- expect he is healthy he is colourfull he is eating and grazing algae off the glass and rocks and he does not look stressed at al,l probaly at the happiest ive seen himso what will happen..

any way i dont understand why i got ich i have a uv sterliser v2 vectron 400 (recomened for my tank)this suppodelsy takes out the ich( white spot) also i have a chiller so its not from the temperature. i also have 2 cleaner shrimp but they havent noticed he has got ich will they get it off when they notice him ?and if the parasites passed the uv sterliser can they sitll strike other fish also can the parasites take out the tang or as he is healthy what can happen...

thought this would help

340 litres - 90us/76uk gallons - 4ft long 2ft high 1.5ft wide

loads of liverock
5 turbo snails
6 creith snails
5 trouchus snails
5 astrea snails
6 redleg hermits
1eletcric blue hermit
1 sandsifting starfish
1 serpent star
1 red sea star
2 cleaner shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp

3 green chromis
2 ocellaris clown(nemo's)
1 yellow watchman goby
1 flame angel
1 yellow eyed bristle tooth tang
1 sixline wrasse
and hopefully getting 1 royal grama soon

getting corals soon

tmc v2 400 skimmer
ehiem wet and dry filter
ehiem 2028 filter
teco tr10 chiller with heater upgrade
vectron 400 uv streliser
4 t5 lights 2 white 2 blue
4 powerheads making togther 2750 litres per hour turn over

plz help i know there are alot of ich forums as i usally answer them but now its me i jsut cant answer my own question lol
so any help would be much aprreciated :)
also i have just fed them frozen(thawed) brine shrimp in a garlic med

cheers lee

Tangs usually get whitespot if they are stressed

They are prone to it but as long as the water conditions are OK they usually recover by themselves

Have you added any new fish recently or has anything changed?

Tangs will also show "stress ich" when the temp of the tank drops too far too fast. Often if a tank's temp drops by sometimes as little as 2C in a 12 hour or less period the tang will show signs of stress-induced ich.

uv sterilizer will not eliminate all the ich parisite out of the water, sounds like its a stress problem, what size tank is it in, and what other fish are in the tank, any new additions or changes ,made to the tank?

Yer def stress. The UV doesnt kill it off completely, its only able to kill off their swimmin stage in the cycle and even then they have to get sucked up in there. Tbh i had a break out ages ago and i just fed garlic soaked foods, weekly water changes and cleaned the UV quartz sleev and brand new uv bulb, should work but thats only from my personaly experience.

Good luck though.,

well the fuzz is going but he has a couple mroe spots hes in a 76 uk /90 us tank he has plenty space gets on with all fish and always eats
my chiller varies the temp from 25.Cv to 26.c as soon as it gets 26.5 it cuts in again is this ok
i am feeding garlice soaked food and am going to do a 10 % water change just to help out the tang is still fine maybe alittle streesed but he should be ok, i added him 2 weeks ago so i dont know why he is getting it now any ideas?

i have found the best thing to do is feed it little and often, keeps their immune system up and helps them fight it off. this worked with my copperband so i see no reason it shouldnt work with your tang. good luck!

well ive done 10% water change and evry day for 3 days so far ive fed garlic based food no other fish has ich just the tang he looks healty he has no white fuzz on hmibut a the min alltoghere about 8white spots
on a lighter note i have fond snails eggs yay lol

you just added your tang 2 weeks ago with no quarantine right?
if this is right you are in for a battle...imo. if i was you i would remove the fish to a hypo salinity quarantine for 2 weeks and alll of your problems will be solved...guaranteed. its good you have no corals...you could just remove you inverts, easier to catch to a ten gal or something and do the hypo salinitly in the 90. i slowly go down to 1.010 leave for 2 weeks and slowly back up movin about .02 a day. i have thought i was out of the water with this parasite before and it simply drops off the fish for a while...during its life cycle giving you false hope and comes back in stronger numbers affecting more and more fish.
do yourself a favor and eradicate it from your display and quarantine all newcomers in hypo. goood luck.

that will probably stress it out worse! honestly just give it lots of food, little and often. my friend had recomended it to me, he had a tang that was litterally all white, it took a while for it to clear up but it did. like i said it worked a treat with my copperband, they are pretty sensitive fish and i was sure it would spread, cleared up over a course of 2 weeks no hastle and more importantly NO stress.

keep using the garlic, although its not proven to help with white spot, it does seem to increase the fish appetite, makes them eat more and help boost their immune systems.

well the spot whent into fuzz the fuzz disappraered and now he has aorund 11 pimple(white spots) on each side he has loads of colour and i havent got another tank to add him and like bo shank said it will stress him out (thanks anyway)
so now i am still feeding little and often he seems to love frozen brine shrimp with garlic soaked in

also is it better to have spots or fuzz wich come first im getting a little confused anyway all the other fish are fine its just the tang and hopefully he will recover

This is a useful heads up for me. We've had our yellow tang for a week and a half, everything's just fine. Damn this fish has one heck of an appetite!

We have lots of garlic growing in our veggie patch at home, so I've been chopping up a clove of fresh garlic really fine and mixing it in with the brine shrimp, some tank water, giving it a stir and letting it sit for a few minutes before feeding it to the fish (yellow tang and two perculas).
One thing I have noticed is one of the clownfish has started eating properly. Before he appeared to be very fussy about his food, and was getting dangerously thin. Now he eats like crazy! (i'm also feeding the tang flake food and seaweed, btw)

If garlic is as good as what I've been reading, then I'll keep it going.

Another thought - if garlic really is as good as it's reckoned to be, how about this for a treatment? Take several large cloves, and crush them to pulp. then place them in a fine mesh bag and suspend it in the tank. Since salties are continually 'drinking' saltwater due to osmosis, they ought to ingest the active ingredients in the garlic?

sounds good i might give it ago any way the spots are still coming and going hopefully it will start to die down

now it looks like its snowing on him how are they coming back like that there is a tiny bit of fuzz but manily he has the spots on him i cant use copper any thing worth tring as i need him to survie he looks healthy but so does the white spot if u know what i meen

anything??????

what about adding a fish like a cleaner wrasse as my 2 cleaner shrimp never seem to jump on the tang when there right next to him
or is adding the wrasse risky duringwhite spot but thats what i need him to clean any thougths also would that garilic in a mesh bag trick work aswell???
just come acorss this http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...om/kick_ich.htm
what ya think?

neon gobies do exactly the same as cleaner wrasses and are easier to keep alive. however they can also catch whuitespot but usually clean it off each other, im not sure it will be wise to add them if whitespot is already present though, and if u deciede to it will prob be best to add 2 or sumin so they can clean each other :dunno:

Most reactions

Back