My Seneye Review

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KISSfn

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ordered my Seneye Reef (more features than the Seneye Home) and Seneye + on 11/09/11 from Seneye.com and received it on 11/14 all the way from across the pond, U.K. Very fast shipping! All Seneye versions (Reef, Pond and Home) come with one replaceable slide that lasts 30 days and one month of Seneye +. Also purchased 3 additional slides and 3 additional months of Seneye + which includes email alerts, SMS alerts, automatic online graphing and personalized advice. Total cost $218.98 or £139.06. Soaked a slide in a glass of aquarium water for 24 hours as directed. Put slide in Seneye and Seneye in tank. Installed Seneye Connect software. Had registered a Seneye account earlier so that was done. Plugged into USB of laptop and within 10 minutes readings were displayed. Free Ammonia NH3 0.001, pH 7.34, Temp 75F, 24C. Reef version includes light readings in LUX, PAR and Kelvin (which work but I have not used it to it's full potential yet). Takes 5600 readings per month! Had some minor issues at first with Seneye Connect software and lack of online graphing. Seneye Tech Support is top notch via email and phone! They sent me a copy of the latest software and advised me to switch to Firefox browser instead of Internet Explorer 9. Everything works great! Within 6 months capability of monitoring Nitrite, Nitrate, KH, general hardness and Chlorine will be added. Especially like the ability to see my tank parameters on the web from a computer or my smartphone when I'm not at home. Plan on hooking up a wireless USB sender today. Yes it's not cheap but being a gadget lover and far from a fishkeeping expert it's perfect for me. :good:

Update: It appears the honeymoon is over! Seneye device can't accurately measure pH to save it's life! The guys at Seneye are nice and they try to help but.... As of today, my opinion is Seneye rushed their product to market and anyone who buys one for around $218 U.S. is a beta tester!

Darn thats a real shame...

I'm thinking the slide probably needs replacing, or any probework inside the device needs calibrating properly.

We use some pretty expensive kit for this kind of thing in the lab, and everything has to be replaced and/or recalibrated pretty much weekly (or after every use in some cases)....

I am very interested in picking up the freshwater version... do you HAVE to subscribe? i.e. can it still churn data to your pc on its own?

The slide is only 13 days old and has been giving inaccurate data for at least a week. The slides are supposed to last 30 days and are consumable to eliminate the need for recalibration. You have to subscribe to receive a new slide. I do not recommend you purchase one at all at this point.

And I have not received a single email or text message alert concerning these out of limit readings! One of the supposed benefits was warnings in advance so you could take action. Nothing!

Hmmm thats really poor.

Yes, i do indeed think the (despite what the manufacturer says) the slide probably lasts a week at most (and not the 30 days)...

I shall hold out for Seneye II

The best reason to purchase with a credit card. Complete refund whether Seneye likes it or not!

Well it seems as time goes on the pH reading starts going down. Removing the slide and cleaning it and the sensors on the device gets it reading pH more accurately again. Even though my water is crystal clear. I guess an invisible film forms and the device uses light to read the slide. Still never received any email or text alerts for out of range readings. Plus the software locks up and has to be restarted a couple of times a day. Seneye still has some work to do to make it more reliable. I still can't endorse their product. Not yet.

Did not expect to get such a quick response to my enquiry...but very glad I asked the Forum. For although the trade info. sounds great! I thought it might be too good...I even checked out 'the tube'.
KISSfn sorry to hear that despite initial good impressions, this appears to be a 'lemon'. Seneye have obviously rushed out with product before all bugs have been resolved. Willl be interesting to see how Seneye resolve the matter. Will hold on until Seneye II is rolled out.

I see the software does not operate on Mac's...very annoying...would it run on a Netbook?

If the netbook has a USB and windows it should work. I think Seneye spent a lot of money on their "endorsements"

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back