BryceHockey
Fish Fanatic
- Joined
- Sep 24, 2008
- Messages
- 194
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 0
Finally, after about a year of saving some money here and there, I have acquired a gently used 46 gallon bowfront tank (with stand). My family found it on Craigslist for a pretty cheap price and it had only been used for 2 years (definitely looks like it, too). I scrubbed it and chipped off the old painted back, and spray painted on a dark blue background. The tank is now inside and the fishless cycling will begin (bought the API Master Test Kit).
So for a year I have continued thinking about what fish I would stock it with. This is going to be a very natural looking tank with South American themed plants, wood of some sort, and rocks. I'm going to try to make some caves for hiding places. Here is the basic list of the fish that were planned to be added:
10-12 Harlequin Rasboras (1.75" each, 21" for 12)
3 Bolivian Rams, a trio of 1 male to 2 females if I can correctly determine their sex (3.5" each approx., 10.5" total)
6 Julii Corydoras (2" each, 12" total)
Approximate Inches of Fish: 43.5
Now that's pretty close the inch per gallon ruling, but I realize that it's just a guideline. My tank will be running a Marineland C-220 Canister Filter, with a flow rate of 220 GPH. This will filter the entire tank nearly 5 times per hour (just not quite).
So I was curious, and obviously I wouldn't do this from the start, but after a few months of running do you think that adding another group of a tetra of some sort would be possible? This would be another 20" or so of fish so perhaps it would be a bad idea. If so, should I go for a few more Bolivians such as another male and female? We love these fish but obviously don't want to create a setup that will involve them fighting for territory. This was my main question so any opinions would be welcomed.
For the record I am taking this very slowly, not adding all of those fish at once. In fact we're going on vacation around August 20, and considering the cycling would probably be completed just before this, I will be waiting to add any fish until returning to ensure that they adjust to the new home well.
I was never a big poster but it's great to be back around and reading the many interesting topics!
So for a year I have continued thinking about what fish I would stock it with. This is going to be a very natural looking tank with South American themed plants, wood of some sort, and rocks. I'm going to try to make some caves for hiding places. Here is the basic list of the fish that were planned to be added:
10-12 Harlequin Rasboras (1.75" each, 21" for 12)
3 Bolivian Rams, a trio of 1 male to 2 females if I can correctly determine their sex (3.5" each approx., 10.5" total)
6 Julii Corydoras (2" each, 12" total)
Approximate Inches of Fish: 43.5
Now that's pretty close the inch per gallon ruling, but I realize that it's just a guideline. My tank will be running a Marineland C-220 Canister Filter, with a flow rate of 220 GPH. This will filter the entire tank nearly 5 times per hour (just not quite).
So I was curious, and obviously I wouldn't do this from the start, but after a few months of running do you think that adding another group of a tetra of some sort would be possible? This would be another 20" or so of fish so perhaps it would be a bad idea. If so, should I go for a few more Bolivians such as another male and female? We love these fish but obviously don't want to create a setup that will involve them fighting for territory. This was my main question so any opinions would be welcomed.
For the record I am taking this very slowly, not adding all of those fish at once. In fact we're going on vacation around August 20, and considering the cycling would probably be completed just before this, I will be waiting to add any fish until returning to ensure that they adjust to the new home well.
I was never a big poster but it's great to be back around and reading the many interesting topics!









