My Refugium

Guys I introduced some live rock into the aquarium (about 20lbs). Pictures soon to follow.

After about 4 days though, Ive noticed this white scum/gel like covering on some of the rock. It almost looks like spiderwebs.

I am also noticing the water is a bit cloudier than normal. Almost immediately as well, brown spots of algae have been visible on the plexi.

Is this what you might call die off? Should I be concerned? Ive introduced the high grade carbon and a phosphate removal media.

Any advice on my next course of actiion?

Well im not going to claim to know what this is. Nor whether its bad or normal. But I can tell you I had the same problem with the "spiderweb" problem on the rocks and as soon as the clean up crew got in there it was all gone within two days. So I wouldnt worry too much... unless someone who knows what they are talking about has better advice haha :good:

Attachments

• Picture_007.jpg
    Picture_007.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture_026.jpg
    Picture_026.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Picture_024.jpg
    Picture_024.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 46
Just the usual hermits, astreas and nassarius. Couldnt say which one in particular got rid of it. But it was gone

Just the usual hermits, astreas and nassarius. Couldnt say which one in particular got rid of it. But it was gone
Thanks for that. I'll look into it.

Well I lifted the one problem rock to get a closer look.

Whoaa....did that thing ever stink. Anyone know why live rock has this "die off"

Just real curious.

Give it a little time to sit there in the tank with everything running. It needs time to mature. Almost all live rock will have some amount of die off depending on how "live" or matured it was when introduced. You have to remember it was out of the water for at least a certain amount of time and the water you introduced it to was most likely different from your water. PH, SG, Temp, etc. The time it will take to mature in your tank depends on how long it was maturing before you got it. Check the pins on cycling your tank, it will probably take a couple weeks. Good luck

Well Im revamping. I chose live rock this time that didnt appear to consist of sponge matter which is what I think was causing such enormous die off. Im also going to be vigilant about water changes and such. Will do larger scale water changes if parameters go completely nuts. Just thought Id share some photos in the interim. Not sure about the rock scape but Im using mostly smaller boulders for a change in this one, I think. The beneficial encrusted algae on rock will be certain colors right guys? Found a lot with this lavender one for some reason. I picked a rock also that had some growth on it and Im not sure if its macro algae or coral. Maybe you guys whove seen it can pick it out.

Attachments

• Picture_056.jpg
    Picture_056.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 52

Attachments

• Picture_055.jpg
    Picture_055.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture_061.jpg
    Picture_061.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 47
Very nice tank. I like the aquascaping!

Like I said in the other post. Take your time and go slow. One thing at a time and enjoy every process even if that process is waiting.

Very nice tank. I like the aquascaping!

Like I said in the other post. Take your time and go slow. One thing at a time and enjoy every process even if that process is waiting.

Thanks YCP... I will heed your advice and do as many water changes as warranted. I think taking out that problem live rock was the key. It was like having a dead trout in there. Since then, all my parameters have normalized somewhat. I'll just let it sit and let things run its course. I do want as much beneficial bacteria in there as possible. One thing Ive noticed is that there is room for a backfilter in the rear refugium area. Im thinking about adding an Aquaclear backfilter to keep things crisp. What do you think?

Update

February 8, 2008

Sp Gravity 1.026

Ammonia 0.0
Nitrites 0.3
Nitrates 0.08
Ph 8.4
Temperature 79 deg F

Well here we are. Tank is coming along. I added a Maroon clown and a yellow clown goby. Lots of hitchers on the rocks. Seems like more and more every day. I received my first zoa pack and am expecting to get a torch frag, frogspawn/hammer and a green mushroom.

I am pleased. It looks better in person I must say.

Attachments

• Picture_005.jpg
    Picture_005.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Picture_007.jpg
    Picture_007.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Picture_008.jpg
    Picture_008.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Picture_009.jpg
    Picture_009.jpg