My Refugium

piranha_trader

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Wanting some assistance from the resident experts on the built in refugium that I have on my newly acquired aquarium. Wanted the guy who sold me the thing to tell me but he bought it and never got around to actually using it so here I am. As you can see powerhead is located on the rightchamber and the in-drain is over on the top left handside.

Now what I dont have a complete handle on is what goes on from there. I think the middle chamber is where I should put some live sand, LR, macroalgae.

But what about the lefthand chambers where the water comes in. Bioballs? A sponge or some other filtering media?

And the righthand chamber....does anything need to be placed in here before its sent back into the actual aquarium.

I guess what Im looking for is some expert advice on what would be BEST. I want to do this right from the get go.

Also another issue Im running into is that when the powerhead is on, the flow is so strong that the indrains cant let in enough water into the left chamber fast enough so as a result, it overflows from the top. Do the experts have advice on the best way to alleviate the pressure other than getting a lesser head? The previous owner suggested that I use some sort of elongated tube and place the head near the bottom of the chamber so there is so the flow is lessened.

Im inclined the best way would be to add another "gill" on the left chamber.

Anyways, so there it is. Anything would be appreciated.

Mahalo from Hawaii

Crud....the things telling me the photo is too big. If you can help can you please email me so that I can email the photo to you?

Attachments

• Picture_004.jpg
    Picture_004.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Picture_003.jpg
    Picture_003.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture_002.jpg
    Picture_002.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 63
If you have a dremel (or similar) then I would use this with one of the sharpening stone bits to make the inlets a little bigger. You could go for a smaller PH if making the inlets doesnt solve the problem.

If it was me I would put LR rubble in the first chamber, macro algae in the middle and if you need it phostphate/nitrate removal media in the last chamber.

If you have a dremel (or similar) then I would use this with one of the sharpening stone bits to make the inlets a little bigger. You could go for a smaller PH if making the inlets doesnt solve the problem.

If it was me I would put LR rubble in the first chamber, macro algae in the middle and if you need it phostphate/nitrate removal media in the last chamber.

So in the left chamber you'd put in live rock rubble above the removable white screen (see pic). What about below it? Or would you do away with the white screen altogether?

The person who sold me the unit said he thought the left chamber was for bio balls which he also threw in.

I guess what I want to know is what that white screen is for.

Thanks...youve helped me out a lot thus far.

Pardon me but is this an actual product? I have no clue what this even looks like. Is it some sort of sponge or other filtration media?

A link would really help.

TIA

it's usually a granular mix, more than likely ferric oxide, you put it in a media bag or a pair of womens nylons...

GFO-1.jpg

it's usually a granular mix, more than likely ferric oxide, you put it in a media bag or a pair of womens nylons...

GFO-1.jpg

Ahhh...thanks

fish stores actually have this stuff I assume or hardware stores

hey chris...i noticed you didnt include charcoal in any of the chambers....is that something you dont believe in for a nano?

Thanks for the arm, bro

Another view

Gills

Guys, Im finally getting around to getting this going and Im noticing that the refugium is not getting enough light from the main lighting system.

Anyone with experience can recommend a "mini" lighting system that might work in this case? As you can tell the hood cover is going to limit space.

If any of you have a good recommendation for equipment piece, I would really appraciate it.

Also granular ferric oxide....do they have this at hardware stores? My lfs did not carry it.

Guys, Im finally getting around to getting this going and Im noticing that the refugium is not getting enough light from the main lighting system.

Anyone with experience can recommend a "mini" lighting system that might work in this case? As you can tell the hood cover is going to limit space.

If any of you have a good recommendation for equipment piece, I would really appraciate it.

Anybody? Refugium picturs up above.

Thanks

I guess my question is this...what would be the best or most recommended mini lamp that I could use for my refugium. In terms of range and what would be best for the algae in the refugium...?

As some of you may have figured out, I am new to the hobby.

Anyways, I live in Hawaii...Honolulu to be exact....and I ve been told that its ok to take live rock from the beach (im only looking for about 10 lbs worth).

Since Ive never really had a tank before I have only a rough idea of what this stuff looks like or what it is.

Is it dead coral thats become home of marine vegetation? Its not lava rock right? does it have sea lichen on it?

Basically what Im asking is what am I looking for when I don my snorkeling gear. Its going to be the bedrock of my filteration system so I need to know what Im looking for.

Any advice would be awesome.

Most reactions

Back