The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

M.R Otter

Fishaholic
Reaction score
howdy partners,I just wanted to share my RES pictures aren't they adorable
DSC00008.jpg
they are know in a 30 gallon tank but im trying to transffer them in a new 210 gallon tank,or maybe the pond but there are bigger turtles and an arowana out there.

keep them in the 30 until they grow a bit (like 4-5 inches) then put them in the pond. larger turtles rarely attack smaller ones. ever see a bunch of turtles all lined up on a log sunning themselves? you will see ALL sizes happily piled on top of each other. they are cute! good for you.

unfortunatly,I had never saw turtles sitting and basking neer and close to each other,but i'm going to be looking and waiting forward for seeing it.How long will it take for turtles to grow as big as 4-5 inches?

its all depends on there sex as to how long it'll take for them to grow to that size. unfortunately at the size they are they cant be sexed yet and may not be sexed til they are roughly 4-5 inchs. males can get to 9" fully grown female can grow to 14" fully grown. males have extremely large claws and the vent on there tails is different to a female. once they are roughly 2-3 yrs of age they can be introduced to a pond as they are not so temperate as they are when they are hatchlings.
hope that helps in some way.

i have a female painted and it took her around 6 months to get 4 inches. when they are little if you give them a good home, they grow like WEEDS!

Thanks,for the info,oh!!one more thing.....is it okay to vary the turtles meaty foods like instead of feeding the turtles blood worms and brine shrimp so often can I feed them(Fish and insects or bugs)?

when they are little hatchlings like that, they need more protein in their diet than older turtles. BUT it is a fine ballance. too much protein can casue shell deformities. so make sure you at least OFFER them some leafy greens like kale, spinach, even dandilion leaves. my turtle LOVES anacharis (aka elodea). also dont over feed them. turtles, especially babies like to BEG for food. swimming in front of the tank when they see you. resist the temptation and only give them 2 meals a day, as much as they will eat in 5 minutes. also, a reptile dust is a good idea to give them all the vitamins (esp. vit.d and calcium) that they need. i feed my turtle freeze dried food 2x a week somewhere out of the water (i do it on her basking rock) and dust it with the vitamins. she takes a munch and plops back into the water to eat. aquatic turtles need to be in water to eat.
have fun with your turtles. they are reallllly cute. too bad they grow up so fast...but they are still cute then too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back