My Questions About Honey Gouramis

shadowangels27

Reaction score

I just got a honey gouramis (tiny little thing) and 6 danios and 2 more corydoras (making 8 corydoras in all) and I just have a few questions, so bear with me...

1. Do gouramis eat algae? Mine keeps pecking at the walls, fake plant leaves, decor, etc and I'm thinking it's some algae he's pecking at. But I'm not quite sure.

2. Why are they so shy? I know it's probably because it's new but I really want to see him, swimming more and being less afraid. It's his tank.

3. What are some good BUG treats for them? I used to have bettas and they would eat small spiders, ants (small), ant eggs, and tiny beetles and gnats. Do gouramis do the same?

4. My tank is planted (with 2 live plants - well main plants.) Cryptocorne. 2 Plants of it. And then they sent off run offs and now I have no clue on how many plants I have of it, and I have tossed bulb plants in and let them grow, so I don't know about them either, but does the gouramis welcome this? I know it wants shelter (skittish) but would it rather have floating plants? (I can't get them because my filters and air stone make too much water disturbance at the top of the water)

5. How can I sex my gouramis? It's a honey gouramis, so small little thing. It's still pretty young, (1") and I know I gotta wait til it's like 3-4" to really tell but any other signs? He (calling it a boy until I know it's not) is pale yellow/orange, with bright orange bottom fins, and 2 feelers... I know so much description... >.<

6. Is it okay if the gouramis's feelers aren't the same length. I'm not sure what happened, if it was at the fish store or transporting it home, but my gouramis has one full length and the other half length... Is it still okay? I mean it'll grow back right??

Sorry if I seem really new, I've never had gouramis before in my life. Just bettas, mollies, swordtails, neons, corydoras, and guppies. Thanks for reading and helping!!!!!!

I just got a honey gouramis (tiny little thing) and 6 danios and 2 more corydoras (making 8 corydoras in all) and I just have a few questions, so bear with me...

1. Do gouramis eat algae? Mine keeps pecking at the walls, fake plant leaves, decor, etc and I'm thinking it's some algae he's pecking at. But I'm not quite sure.

2. Why are they so shy? I know it's probably because it's new but I really want to see him, swimming more and being less afraid. It's his tank.

3. What are some good BUG treats for them? I used to have bettas and they would eat small spiders, ants (small), ant eggs, and tiny beetles and gnats. Do gouramis do the same?

4. My tank is planted (with 2 live plants - well main plants.) Cryptocorne. 2 Plants of it. And then they sent off run offs and now I have no clue on how many plants I have of it, and I have tossed bulb plants in and let them grow, so I don't know about them either, but does the gouramis welcome this? I know it wants shelter (skittish) but would it rather have floating plants? (I can't get them because my filters and air stone make too much water disturbance at the top of the water)

5. How can I sex my gouramis? It's a honey gouramis, so small little thing. It's still pretty young, (1") and I know I gotta wait til it's like 3-4" to really tell but any other signs? He (calling it a boy until I know it's not) is pale yellow/orange, with bright orange bottom fins, and 2 feelers... I know so much description... >.<

6. Is it okay if the gouramis's feelers aren't the same length. I'm not sure what happened, if it was at the fish store or transporting it home, but my gouramis has one full length and the other half length... Is it still okay? I mean it'll grow back right??

Sorry if I seem really new, I've never had gouramis before in my life. Just bettas, mollies, swordtails, neons, corydoras, and guppies. Thanks for reading and helping!!!!!!

1. Yeah mine used to do that.

2. They are quite shy really, give him a few days. Maybe he'd like a friend? Depending on if it's male or female. Female then I'd get another one, male then I'd get 2 females.

3. Never tried it but I would imagine so.

4. Gouramis like lots of plant so yes to both really. If your current is that strong maybe you should reduce it though coz Gouramis don't like a lot of flow.

5. Honeys don't usually get as big as 3-4" but basically the female wil have a rounded dorsal fin and the male will be more pointed. It is quite difficult though so you may have to wait a while. The natural coloured females will also have a horizontal stripe.

6. If it doesn't seem bothered I wouldn't worry. It may grow back, may not. I have a Pygmy Cory with no tail!

Hope that helps.

1. Yeah mine used to do that.

2. They are quite shy really, give him a few days. Maybe he'd like a friend? Depending on if it's male or female. Female then I'd get another one, male then I'd get 2 females.

3. Never tried it but I would imagine so.

4. Gouramis like lots of plant so yes to both really. If your current is that strong maybe you should reduce it though coz Gouramis don't like a lot of flow.

5. Honeys don't usually get as big as 3-4" but basically the female wil have a rounded dorsal fin and the male will be more pointed. It is quite difficult though so you may have to wait a while. The natural coloured females will also have a horizontal stripe.

6. If it doesn't seem bothered I wouldn't worry. It may grow back, may not. I have a Pygmy Cory with no tail!

Hope that helps.

Okay thanks!! and it's not much current but breaks apart the surface tension. And he doesn't seem to mind much about the current. But the corys and danios are obsessed with it.

I adore gouramis and over years have looked after many, one thing is that they take anything upto two weeks to really show they are settling into the tank, so he will be shy for at least 4-7 days then should really come out of skin and into charatcter...however I have never and will never keep gourami in singles and will always have a sexed pair as they are a pairing fish and benefit from that, It does not really mater if they are a sex'd pair or not.

I adore gouramis and over years have looked after many, one thing is that they take anything upto two weeks to really show they are settling into the tank, so he will be shy for at least 4-7 days then should really come out of skin and into charatcter...however I have never and will never keep gourami in singles and will always have a sexed pair as they are a pairing fish and benefit from that, It does not really mater if they are a sex'd pair or not.

The tank they were in weren't sexed... You can't have 2 males... And I was not aware of that.. there is not a bunch of information on them, but I was told they bred like crazy... And I don't really have the money to get many tanks... I have 3. And a betta bowl which is being cleaned (then used for 5 stalks of lucky bamboo)

Most reactions

trending

Back