my platties acting wierd

kevin007

Hmmm...cories
Reaction score
i'm not sure if my platty is pregnant or not but will my red tail shark make her abort the fry? by scaring her? 2 of my platties r always on the top of the tank not a active as before, i also see that she has a black belly but i think it's only the scale, my platties always get chased by the red tail shark but he never nips them. if she does breed what size of the tank should it be the breeding tank? i can get a 10 galon for $12.00 can. Please replie as soon as possible,

Kevin

I'm probably better off not to answer this bt I'll answer what I think and hope it doesn't cause you to spaz at em :p . I'm pretty sure platys along with almost all other livebearers will eat their own young but the chances are they would get eatin by the other fish first unless you move them to another tank like you said. If you you do make sure there is lots of hiding palces for the fry and take the mother out after she gives birth. As for the black spot I couldn't help you since I've never owned platies. Remember this is what I think, I may be wrong but I think that information is correct.

so i should get the fry to my other tank when they're born? and as for the hiding place can i put 2 layers of marble to be a hiding place for the fry? btw should i put the platty i think is pregnant in the other tank?

Kevin

kevin007 said:
btw r platties hard to own?
Platies are almost the easiest fish in the world to own :) A 10 gallon tank is a good growing tank for the fry, for $12 its a bargain! Go for it!
can i put 2 layers of marble to be a hiding place for the fry
Yes, I do this in my tank, if possible buy some java moss (although it is rare to see in LFS)
btw should i put the platty i think is pregnant in the other tank?
Depends how heavily pregnant she is really, if she looks like she's going to burst then sure, remember this new tank will need to cycle so you may want to put her in even if she's not "about to burst" so that she can cycle the tank for you, fry are very susceptible to dying in adverse water conditions.
platies will eat their own young
Yep they will do and with relish!! If you're quick you can often save fry from a drop by the mother, they will often be hiding under objects ie rocks and bog wood (or the marbles ;) ) or in plants such as java moss, the babies aren't stupid and if you get to the tank within a day of spawning you should fine about 50% of the young... provided the fish you have in there are not really mean and that it is quite well planted and lots of things to hide under...

William, it's the first time u replied to any of my post and it helped alot!!!!!!!!!!!thanx dude! :hyper:

Kevin

Why would you say that kevin?...looks like William answered all your questions so no other replies were necessary.....if it makes you feel better check how many people read your posts...55 people checked out this one :p

i was just joking! but my preagnent platty dissapeard yesterday and it is still missing to day, i think it's dead....

I think William nailed everything right on the head.....there was nothing more that I could add to his fine post. You will find that most here cover all topics and if someone is there and has offered great advice then we pretty much consider it complete. You have to forgive us but there are a lot of topics to cover and if we were to try to reply to each one then someone would surely be left out and this forum is all about helping each other out.
As far as the missing momma she may be hiding in plants gettting ready to give birth, mine will bury themselves in the plants when they pop

Les

Most reactions

Back