My Ph Concerns

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

itsmedeanna64

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Good Sunday Morning!

I am kinda worried about my PH in my 2 tanks. First is my 29 gallon, cycled although new, being about 80 days old now. I have 5 Z Danios, 5 Black Neons, 1 Hatchet fish, 2 Rasboras, 2 MM platies, 2 apple snails. I've only added the platies recently, about 3 weeks ago. I had some guppies but rehomed them. Amm, Ni, Na are all 0, faithful water changes, 2 filters running, stays at 78 degrees. I keep lights on about 12 hrs a day or less. My PH is 6.6 in this tank. Very seldom has it changed and I test everyday. I have well water that test ph 6.0 out of the tap.

My 55 gallon is on day 27 of FISHLESS CYCLING. Everything is in it...gravel, lightly planted, etc. I've kept it about 79 degrees, have 2 air stones running and one adequate filter. I am using Flourish for my plants and lights are on about 12 hrs a day also. My ammonia is processing in less than 24 hrs right now, Ni and Na are off the charts. I am hoping I am close to a complete cycle now. I would love to put my 1st fish in by next weekend! :rolleyes: However I won't do it too early. Okay, my PH in this tank has now been 6.0 over a week now. I use the Freshwater Master Test Kit. Right now I plan to put some different kinds of tetras in this one, maybe some platies and corys...still deciding on others.

Should I be concerned about my ph, especially in the 55? I have mentioned my ph concerns in previous posts but didn't get any real responses about it.
Is there a website that tells about which fish are for low ph? I was wondering if I should go that route....or, should I try to get my ph up? Everything I read say don't use chemicals.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hi. Generally fish can adapt to any pH in the 6s to the 8s. The most important thing is that the pH stays stable at whatever level it wants to be at. 6 or 6.6 isn't too bad. Not everyone has a pH of 7, many have pHs of 7.6 or higher and the fish are fine. Just try to keep it at whatever it is at and acclimatise any new fish slowly. The reason people say not to use chemicals to adjust pH is because this will cause swings in pH that are more harmful. If all your fish are doing fine, i wouldn't worry about it. Good luck with the 55.

Hi. Generally fish can adapt to any pH in the 6s to the 8s. The most important thing is that the pH stays stable at whatever level it wants to be at. 6 or 6.6 isn't too bad. Not everyone has a pH of 7, many have pHs of 7.6 or higher and the fish are fine. Just try to keep it at whatever it is at and acclimatise any new fish slowly. The reason people say not to use chemicals to adjust pH is because this will cause swings in pH that are more harmful. If all your fish are doing fine, i wouldn't worry about it. Good luck with the 55.

Thanks so much for your input. It eases my mind then!
I see you have corys. I have heard they can be sensitive to water conditions. My ph shouldn't be a worry then if I get some? I was wanting about 4 or 6 for this tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back