My Pearl gourami is sitting at the bottom of the tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishiesconfuseme

Reaction score
My female Pearl gourami seems to be resting at the bottom of the tank and gasping. What does this mean?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 207
Is she new? What are the water parameters? What are the other tank mates?

This can mean a lot of things but first

How often do you do water changes?
How much of the water do you take out?
Ammonia levels?
Nitrite levels?
Nitrate levels?
Ph?
Gh?
Kh?
How long has the tank been set up?
Did you cycle your tank?
How long ago did you purchase your Pearl Gourami?

We need to know these stuff so that we can have an idea of what your tank is like and it will help us to find a solution to your problem.

Him resting at the bottom and gasping could mean that there is not enough of oxygen available in the aquarium you can add a airstone to your aquarium, the airstone will blow bubbles and when the bubbles hit the surface of the water they break the surface and allow more oxygen in your aquarium.

It can also mean he has been exposed to ammonia or nitrite. This could happen from a spike of ammonia or nitrite in the aquarium when this happens it will make your fishes gills red and will prevent your fish from breathing properly.

Your pearl Gourami could also be stressed, is anyone picking on her?, did you add anything to the aquarium recently?, Did you add anything to the water other than water conditioner?

This can mean a lot of things but first

How often do you do water changes?
How much of the water do you take out?
Ammonia levels?
Nitrite levels?
Nitrate levels?
Ph?
Gh?
Kh?
How long has the tank been set up?
Did you cycle your tank?
How long ago did you purchase your Pearl Gourami?

We need to know these stuff so that we can have an idea of what your tank is like and it will help us to find a solution to your problem.

Him resting at the bottom and gasping could mean that there is not enough of oxygen available in the aquarium you can add a airstone to your aquarium, the airstone will blow bubbles and when the bubbles hit the surface of the water they break the surface and allow more oxygen in your aquarium.

It can also mean he has been exposed to ammonia or nitrite. This could happen from a spike of ammonia or nitrite in the aquarium when this happens it will make your fishes gills red and will prevent your fish from breathing properly.

Your pearl Gourami could also be stressed, is anyone picking on her?, did you add anything to the aquarium recently?, Did you add anything to the water other than water conditioner?
I do water changes every two weeks 30% change, I’ve had her since May, pH-7.4, ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 20ppm. She’s with another Pearl gourami and some tetras and two mollies. Don’t know the GH or Kh but it’s fairly hard water, cycled my tank before I put anything in last year. Did add the two mollies yesterday so could be that.

I’ve had her since May, pH-7.4, ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 20ppm. She’s with another Pearl gourami and some tetras and two mollies. Never seen her do this before
Are the other fish acting like the or only just her?

Does she look bloated? Is she eating? Are her scaling sticking out like a pine cone?

I do water changes every two weeks 30% change, I’ve had her since May, pH-7.4, ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 20ppm. She’s with another Pearl gourami and some tetras and two mollies. Don’t know the GH or Kh but it’s fairly hard water, cycled my tank before I put anything in last year. Did add the two mollies yesterday so could be that.
how big is your aquarium?

What kind of tetras, and how many?

She may be stressed, especially if there are Tetras in that tank...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back