my new fish! heh

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

might not have been labs, they were cobalt somethings either way they were more gray then anything

It's hard to find good Pseudotropheus zebra cobalts. I had to travel over 2 hours to a reclusive breeder in the wood to get mine. Worth every penny. To get really beautiful cichlids I recommend forgetting about pet stores and locating a private breeder with a good reputation. You'll pay more, but you'll be getting much nicer stock.

might get some from freshmike but i don't think his are near first generation or anything cept his tang cichlid, whered you get your mbweca?

vantgE said:
might get some from freshmike but i don't think his are near first generation or anything cept his tang cichlid, whered you get your mbweca?
I got my mbwecas from a private breeder in CT, who dives Lake Malawi twice a year and brings back specimens to breed them. I paid an arm and a leg. But they're too much for my tank--gotta sell them. Interested?

how much is an arm and a leg? Well, they call me "stumpy" now.

No, seriously.... 20 bucks each. They're even nicer now than they were when I got them. ANd bigger, and closer to breeding age obviously. So $50 for all 5 is actually one hellava deal.

ok a few quick questions, first my water temp keeps going up and down pretty bad, how can i overcome this? 2nd these fish eat like a racehorse should they be eating this much or am i giving them too much food(but they eat it all in like 1min)

oh yeah, for a stand, if my tank sits like a inch over the edge will that hurt anything? i mean with the weight distruibution n all that i figured it might cause a problem, whatcha think?

damnit i just found one of my yellow labs dead :( i wake up and hes upside down at the bottom of the tank... why :(

but seriously the water temp keeps going up and down way too much... anyway to fix this?

The temp. fluctuation is probably what killed it. African cichlids are very suseptible to temperature changes. Either the heater you have is malfunctioning, or may be too weak for the volume of water in your tank, or it may be too strong for the volume of your tank. What size is your tank and what are the specifications of your heater. Also, is your tank located in an area that gets cold drafts of air, or is it by a window getting direct sunlight?

my tank right now is 10gal, i got no idea the specs on the heater, how i find out? also its not near any gusts of wind or a window... but as far as the heater goes i got it unpluged right now, the water is super hot right now, like 90-91 degrees F... and at night i think it drops down super low but im not sure... its kinda scaring me, i dont know how to keep it in check... ive never had problems with temp before...

update, i found the wattage of the heater, but i broke that heater when i changed tanks, left it on when i was empting my 10gal...

my fishies are in the 40gal now... the temp is like 76

now i need to buy a tube to go from my powerhead, a small bag of rocks(need just a bit more rocks) and a heater :)

dont worry i put my fishies in baggies then floated them in the new tanks water just like you do when you get a new fish, so i dont shock them...

ok now i dont eactly know what the rule for this is so ill ask, how many fish can i fit in a 40 gal tank? and does that include pelcos? (african cichlids)

heh my pleco just chased away a cichlid... my pleco was in his fav spot(he has one already- same place as in 10gal) and the cichlid came over and the pleco chased him away, heh

this is now my general happenings/questions about my fish thread :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back