my new fish! heh

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TheeMon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ok well im new to cichlids but im pretty good w/ fish so... anyways i baught 3 red labs 2 gold labs 2convicts and 3 plecos anyway umm well i would like some basic adivce, i made a thread in the new world cichlids forum but i found out labs are african, i would really like either a gallery of all cichlids or atleast a gallery of african cichlid pics :) ifnot some good single images would be nice, ive heard about blue cichlids and i want pics, are there green too? thatd be kickass heh, i thought there was more but i guess not...

oh oh the 2 yellow labs(gold whatever) are burrowing under my sponge filter, making a nest so w00t heh, oh yeah heres the link to my other thread... http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...=0&#entry262488

There's a pretty good African cichlid picture gallery on malawicichlidhomepage.com and cichlid-forum.com Good profiles there too will help you understand the fish's water parameter needs and their behaviors.

first what are the "common" names for them 2 middle pics in your sig? kuz i want both of them fish, 2nd why do you guys keep use'n the scientific names instead of the common names? that really confuses me heh

Because there are no common names for most African cichlids and because if there are, they are often used for multiple species creating confusion. It's not as hard to learn them as you may think. Within a week of research, I had pretty much memorized all the commonly kept Lake Malawi fish and their scientific names.

The two middle fish in my siggy are

2nd from left, the solid light blue---Pseudotropheus zebra cobalt (newly reclassified as Maylandia callainos)

3rd from left with the dark blue lateral stripes---Melanochromis cyanerhabdos Maingano.

There are no common names as far as I know for these fish.

hey hey quick question whats there ideal water temp then whats the highest/lowest temps they can live in safely/what constitutes danger/worry

It is much better to use the scientific names. I have no clue what fish you are talking about when you refer to red labs - gold labs I imagine are L. Caeruelus. Not only are common names used for more then one type of fish in many cases, but they change depending where you are in the world.

The ideal temperature of them is about 78. They can handle temps as low as 65 or lower and as high as 90 or even higher, but these extremes should obviously be avoided.

well the red labs as named by the fish store(i think) are really all orange w/ white specks on the bottom back fin...

TheeMon said:
well the red labs as named by the fish store(i think) are really all orange w/ white specks on the bottom back fin...
Stores mislabel things all the time-- some even make names up for some rediculous reason. That's why it's good to familiarize yourself with what a species looks like, its scientific name and its requirements for tank-life.
Have you looked at those websites I gave you yet?

The orange fish you describes sounds like An Aulonocara jacobfeibergi "Albino Eureka" to me. Or it could be a Maylandia estherae. Use the websites, and soon you'll be able to simply spot a fish and mouth out its long scientific name with glee :p

thecichlidaddict said:
i wanna see the orange and blue ones mated...
great, more nasty hybrids...
I couldn't agree with you more, CA....

We, as fishkeepers need to understand that we have a responsibility to keep our captive gene pool as pure as possible to limit the demand for wild-caught fish, leading to significant depletion of wild populations in the world's waters.

i never said i was gonna do it, but itd look kool

i just got back from the pet store, they had cobalt labs but they were nearly gray, i went to 4 lfs and only 1 had them, they were ugly as hell and didnt look healthy... i want dark blue ones... the fish store said they dont know when theyd have any more blue ones in or what theyd look like... :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back