My New Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I paid £12 each for mine :blush: I didn't realise I was paying a lot of money for them at the time. They are a good shop with helpful staff and healthy fish so I guess I'm paying for that, which I don't mind really.

Do you think the shop would exchange one of the males for a female if they do both turn out to be males?

Do you think the shop would exchange one of the males for a female if they do both turn out to be males?

I'm pretty sure they've got to exchange them. The OP asked for a male and a female and was told they had been given a male and a female.
I'm not suggesting that anyone should ever go in with attitude. But consumer rights are on your side (may seem silly over a £6 fish) at the end of the day the laws and such are their for a reason.

Plus the OP said they were a good shop...good shops apologize and exchange fish! :)

Yes, I would hope they exchange 'it', however, I am worried that because I am not 100% sure on the gender, I could take it back to the shop and they still say it's female. Here is another picture of it- I need to be 100% sure really :/

007-1.jpg

(by the way, the fish is not really that yellow; it's just the poor lighting on my camera!)
Thanks for any help

Does it's pelvic fins have a distinct black line down the front? That picture looks alot more like a female than the first one.

Does it's pelvic fins have a distinct black line down the front? That picture looks alot more like a female than the first one.

Yes, the 'females' pelvic fins have a distinct black line down them on the lower side, whereas the 'males' pelvic fin has a very suttle black line on the lower side. Thanks

Ok :L At least I've sorted that up, thanks for your help!

Lol, seems you didn't even need 'help' in the first place. I reckon the only reason they've ignored eachother so far is that your female is still young. She'll soon mature and once she does I'm sure they'll start flirting. :) Good look. Keep us updated.

Lol, seems you didn't even need 'help' in the first place. I reckon the only reason they've ignored eachother so far is that your female is still young. She'll soon mature and once she does I'm sure they'll start flirting. :) Good look. Keep us updated.

Ok, thanks! As you can see I am new to cichlid keeping, but hopefully in the future they will start breeding, and if they do I will keep you updated :D

Yes, I do think you have a male and a female :good:

I have the apisto cacatuoide double red, stunning fish.

One thing I would say is that if the tank is big enough, add another female to make 1m,2f as apistos do best in trios.

Andy

both my females have spawned again,one has fry and the other one is guarding her eggs.

this is a picture of daddy!!

P1030941.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back