My New Betta Is Not Happy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I decided my tank just isn't the same with different fish and that I missed having a betta regardless of how delicate they are... so I went out and got a new one.  Little mostly blue with bits of red crowntail.

Well... he is the most unhappy betta I've ever had.  He has been displaying stress stripes since I took him out of the dark bag (he was in the fish back and then a dark bag for safe travels.)

Anything other than turning off the light that I can do to help him chill a little?  I'm avoiding feeding him today and possibly tomorrow as he looks overfed.

The addition of floating plants might help.   Covering the tank, and/or keeping the lights in the room off for a day might help.

Adding some tannins would decrease the intensity of the light on him, and might add some helpful 'stuff' to the water that he'd enjoy.

Methods of adding tannins:
  • Wood
  • almond leaves
  • black water extract
  • rooibos tea

What type of lighting is on the tank?

It is quite well planted with anubias nana covering the whole front of the tank and two amazon swords at the back, and I have a good deal of frogbits on the surface.

Well, the floating plants are probably pretty good then.   I added a few other things that might help.

Maybe a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway:

Did you check your water stats, temp, etc.?  Never a bad idea to double check those when fish display some stress.

How strong is the flow in the tank?   

(Just unloading a bunch of possibilities... I'm sure you've run through this checklist, but it might help others with a similar problem in the future.  :D

Methods of adding tannins:
  • Wood
  • almond leaves
  • black water extract
I use these methods in my Gourami tank. My fish especially the Rasboras seen way happier since I added IAL and blackwater extract.

Can we see a pic 
smile.png
other than what the others have mentioned I can't really add much, is he small/young? it is uncommon for adult males to stress stripe but he may just need more time to settle down, what was he like in the shop? displaying full colouring, acting normal? was he alone or with other fish? I take it he is alone now?

Just a quick correction of what was written above. Rooibos does a lovely job of staining water like tannins and it also adds many of the benefits and more of almond or oak leaves. However, it does not contain much in the way of tannins and the little it does contain are of a mild nature. I have read research indicating that rooibos contains about 1/12 the amount of tannins of typical teas. Also, unlike real teas, rooibos has 0 caffeine.

My water stats are spot on, temperature is 79.  He was stressed before I even started adding tank water to the bag.

I do have IAL and forgot about those, I will try one and see how that goes.

He didn't have the stripes in the shop, his color was a sort of navy blue with bits of red in the fins.  He was very active and alert and was responsive to me wiggling my fingers at him. 

Oh and he is small but not too small.  My previous one was much smaller in size when I got him.

He is slightly darker than the picture now but the stripes are still there.  I don't want to disturb him to take another picture.

Attachments

• june052015-newbetta.jpg
    june052015-newbetta.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 114
I'm sure he will be fine, he looks young so just probably needs more time to settle, do you have a coconut cave or similar? somewhere to hide may help him come out of his shell a bit more 
smile.png
 when you do feed him maybe adding some live daphnia or brine shrimp may encourage him to settle a bit more and divert his attention from being scared as he chases them down.

I have decided to feed him just two soaked pellets this morning as his stomach has shrunk significantly.  I think he is used to sinking food and not floating food.  As I dropped them in they sink a bit and he ate one straight away... but the other went back up to the top and he is scouring every inch of the bottom to find it now.  LOL

His color is a bit better this morning.  He is a bit darker and only has a hint of the middle line if i stare at him too long.

Oh, I forgot to say, I don't have a cave (do have an arch surrounded by plants.  But anyway, the bottom has really good cover and lots of nooks under the anubias leaves. I can't even see him when he doesn't want to be seen!

The fact that he's coloring up and eating is a great sign.  :good:  

All should be well now, I think.

He swims around so long as we stay on the other side of the room.  LOL

He'll get used to you.  :lol:

He is much better today, sporting both his original colors and a new name, Shaddow... because I can't ever spot him amongst the leaves.

june072015shaddow.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back