My New 6x2x2

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I keep getting pushed away from these sized tanks by my wife every time I visit a local shop. 6ft seems an ideal size.

What is the plastic mesh for?

I keep getting pushed away from these sized tanks by my wife every time I visit a local shop. 6ft seems an ideal size.

What is the plastic mesh for?

its called egg crate normaly used in koi pond filters or marine setups, it is also used to protect the bottom of a malawi tank from scratches/breakages from the weight of the rock it also help's to spread the weight of heavy stones.

cool whens the water going in ?

i have just filled the tank straight from the outside tap and at the moment it's at 12° Centigrade going to let the temp rise just from the heat in the house has i am in no rush at the moment to stock it.
i have not placed the rocks in the tank has i want to see the volume of water i have to remove to get a accurate reading of the volume of water once the rocks are place in the tank.
will post more pics soon.

hi. tanks looking great! what sand is that please (name make model) lol.. thx!

hi. tanks looking great! what sand is that please (name make model) lol.. thx!

its coral sand by unipac
DSC03799_zps9ce88331.jpg

How much water does this hold please

Fish Tank Calculator

put a couple of new temporary 300w heaters in a couple of days ago both were set at 26°centigrade and this morning thermometer was reading 28°centigrade so i have adjusted my heater so i get a temp of 26° and steady,

i have ordered 2x aps 2000ef's today so hoping they will be delivered tomorrow, once the filters are up and running then i will be adding the rocks has i think the 2000ef holds around 20litres each so i get the true volume of water once filters are running and rock has been added to aquarium,

once this is done i will be testing my water ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, GH, KH once i have the last three reading's then i can dose the tank accordingly with salts/buffers then my fish can be acclimatized to there new water parameters and then be introduced to there new home .

Well guys my new aps 2000ef filter's came the next day ordered at 12.15pm and they arrived by 10am the next day.

DSC04074.jpg

DSC04075.jpg

DSC04077.jpg

DSC04078.jpg

DSC04079.jpg

DSC04080.jpg

i have seeded my new filters from another mature external filter and they have been running 12hrs,

Also done my preliminary testing on my water stats,

With camera flash
DSC04087.jpg

Without camera flash
DSC04088.jpg

Looks like ammonia is a little high any idea's and what do you think my PH is reading with the high PH range, also i have tested my KH/GH

KH = 08 drops 143.2ppm

GH = 16 drops 286.4ppm

i am wanting to add salts and buffers any idea's of amount i should be adding to aquarium with the reading above.

The tank holds 680 litres empty when i added the 2x aps 2000ef i had to top tank up with another 50 litres making it 720 litres total volume, know i have added the rocks i had to remove 60 litres so the total volume of water is 650 litres taking into consideration the 50kg of coral sand,

i have seeded the new filters from my old external so with the little ammonia spike it may be going through a mini cycle, i have purchased 500ml of seacham stability to help the filters with the good bacteria needed to help with the nitrogen cycle, i have added the rocks so tonight or in the morning i will start to introduce the fish to their new home.

at the moment i have some temporary lighting until i decide what direction i am going with my lighting, i have 2x undercounter lights i have taken of my kitchen cupboards it was the wifes idea honest, they are only 13watt each but i will make do until my new lights arrive,

DSC04093.jpg

DSC04095.jpg

DSC04096.jpg

Looks very nice with the rocks.
The Ph looks like 8.3ppm maybe
Did you dose ammonia in the tank and how many ppm because from the tests you can hardly say any of it is processed.

Looks very nice with the rocks.
The Ph looks like 8.3ppm maybe
Did you dose ammonia in the tank and how many ppm because from the tests you can hardly say any of it is processed.

no not dosed tank with any ammonia just seeded my new external filter's from another mature filter i had.

them water stats are straight from the tap :D

Most reactions

Back