My mollies seem aggressive

samctex

Reaction score
I put in one mollie. Then a week later, I added another. Then 3 weeks later, I added 3 more. It is a 10 gallon tank. At first they all seemed to get along, but over the last two weeks they are all chasing each other. It seems each one has one they like to pick on. Is this natural behavior? :crazy: :sly:

actually, yes. first off, are they all males, all females or mix? how many of each do you have? fish are like dogs, there is a pecking order, and they will "fight" for position as top fish. my mollies can't be with any other fish but bottom dwellers, they can be pretty mean actually (never killed anything, just pests). if you have all males or all females, part of its to establish the pecking order, part is because, well, theyre restless, and need members of the opposite sex. if you have a mix, its both the pecking order and a right to mate (top fish male gets all the girls). i had two males and three females together, the one male always chased off the other male. eventually the females got in on the bullying (tail slapped him silly) and the one male spent most of his time hiding in the cave or in the plants. i've moved him to the fry tank where he is happy being the biggest fish (and i think the only male, looks like all my fry are female......). also, since you added them separately over time like that, part of it may be a territory thing, try moving your decor around a bit and see what happens.

i have two males and 5 females. the original male spends most of his time hiding or being chased. even the females are chasing the male. he used to be aggressive but now he is no longer. the larger male is definately the king of the tank, but now the silver mollie is just a chicken.

aquarius said:
join the club :lol:
:lol:

watch the one being bullied. if he becomes too stressed out , the stress could kill him. if you can put him in a separate tank that would be adviseable, or take him back to the lfs and trade him for a female. just a suggestion.

Mollies are aggressive. :crazy:

I had two females, purchased pregnant, and they had fry. Until the fry were old enough for me to pick a male out, the two females chased, fin nipped, and chased some more. Like MANY_A_MOLLY said, "they're restless, and need members of the opposite sex. "

Now with a male, it's become more of a subtle shoving match to show who is the greater female in order to win over the attention of the male.

Your submissive male molly may forever be chased and forced in hiding, and your females may forever shove each other. It's natural; don't be too discouraged. :thumbs:

Well ive got 12 females and 1 male... ok 11 are female fry weird huh? and the male picks on the grow female but not a hole bunch my mollies fougth when i first put them in and for a couple days a litle here and there but there all fine now G/l with yours

Most reactions

Back