My Marine Adventure

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chris7

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
OK i have been reading up about marine tanks for a few weeks now. I currently have a FW tank and want to convert it into a SW tank. My current tank is a Tropiquarium 68 (i believe it is 72 litres) 67cm long 32cm deep and 37cm high. Is this tank ideal for a marine set up. I know its a old tank but i don't want to waste money on a new tank if this one will do the job. I also have a Fluval 3plus filter and a Elite 50w heater, Are these usable for my new marine adventure or will i need to get new stuff.

This is my current tank. I have sold most my fish and have just 4 Guppys left.
IMAG0875_zps5576f1cd.jpg

I am in no massive rush to do get everything i need as i want to take my time and make sure i do things properly and not rush into spending tons of cash. I understand i need to sell the 4 fish, clean the tank out from top to bottom, Buy some sand or crushed coral for a base and then get some live rock, After this i am willing to leave the tank to cycle for as long as need be to get it perfect and the water how it should be.

The only problem i have with the tank is the light unit in the hood is broken, I am currently using a small LED light and i know its no where good enough for what i will be doing. I think after reading most journals i will be needing T5 lights of some sort. The lights in the hood do not work (its not the bulbs that are broken) the fitting does not work. I think what i might need to do is strip the hood out and buy some sort of light fitting and fix it in or take the hood out and maybe get a light with a clamp on, I am not sure about the lighting options so any help on this will be appreciated.

I love the journals around here and have spent many hours reading them so i wanted to try my own. Although it will be slow going i am hoping it will eventually grow into the good journals you guys have now and maybe help others in the future by reading this one just like i did with all the others.

So i want a marine fish tank with live rock, fish and eventually corals. I am in no rush for corals as i will be just getting the basics done first but i want to achieve a tank with fish, live rock and corals eventually.

What will i need to get this underway, Please correct me if im wrong.

Sand or Crushed coral
Salt
Power heads (one or two)
Live rock
Water testing kit (which is my best option here)
Lighting
Heater (maybe as my 50 watt one might not be strong enough)

Any help on that list please as i am a novice and only going on what i have learned through reading posts around here.

I also read about RO water is it best to buy a RO unit or keep buying from my lfs. If so any advice on a RO unit and what it takes to use one.

I have many more questions but my brain is fried at the moment as i have had a long day at work and been reading journals for the last 2 hours lol. I have probably missed something but really any help from anyone out there will be much appreciated.

EDIT: I also have been reading about sumps, I am not entirely sure about the use of sumps or even know how to set one up, Would i need one for my plans.

Thanks.

Looking forward to a reply. :good:

The tank itself could be turned into a marine nano, the filter is probably not all that much use in this setting, although there are things that you could do with it.

The heater, if it can heat a tropical tank properly in your room, should heat a marine tank with similar effect, and the hagen elite is fine for marine tanks.

Do remember that marine tanks tend to have a fairly higher running cost, in power, kit and maintenance than freshwater tanks, so you'll need to factor a sensible ongoing cost into your sums as well as an increased work load.

The benefits of an RO unit are that they give you a supply of water that you can mix on tap and control over what you're getting. They do have a fair initial cost, and, although fairly easy to fit, do need plumbing in. If your DIY is ok it's an easy job, but it's another job on the list. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with getting water from your LFS, and some will do mixed salt water as well.

Overall, you're at the beginning, but the tank you have is small for a marine system and will be a lot of work, as well as costing you a fair amount to convert, so do research a lot before committing to anything.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking a smaller marine tank will be easier to keep. Unfortunately the smaller the water volume the harder it is to maintain water quality as there is less margin for error and to absorb fluctuations in parameters so that is not the case. Having a nano as your first marine experience will be a steep learning curve and the best advice would be to research as much as you can before even filling the tank so that you can be more prepared for any issues that occur. A small mistake in a big tank can usually be rectified but a small mistake in a nano can wipe out the tank so forewarned is forearmed as they say.

Thanks for the reply's. Yeah i am in no massive rush here and want to take things slow as i understand i still have a lot to learn. I have read loads here and will keep doing so but the more i read the more i forget the stuff i read before :huh: lol

I thought the tank would be quite small although it looks smaller than it is in the pictures if that makes sense. I have seen others around here start out with tanks that look smaller than mine but to be honest that also could be there picture not doing the tank justice. I also understand from reading it is harder to run a smaller tank as oppose to a bigger tank.

So do you think i should look for a bigger tank maybe.

Also the RO system sounds like a lot more work at this time than i would need, Maybe something i could do further down the line when i understand things more. My LFS store is about 10 mile away so its a fair trip to keep getting water back and forth.

Also any advice about a sump, Will i need one or can i get away without one.

Thanks again

Chris... :good:

i did it with that size tank and within a few weeks bought a marine style nano tank 94 litre river reef. much easier to use maintain and set up for marine.

if you do use that tank get some royal blue tile paint and pain the back and sides with the white marine sand will instantly transform the ppearance

the benefit of buying a second hand nano style tank is the lighting saves you messing about with the lighting in your current tank

Ahh Simon, It was your 94 litre river reef journal i read from start to finish. I did post on it yesterday to see how you got on with it, Will take a look and see if you managed to reply. Your journal was a very good read and helped me in so many ways.

I did see you painted yours too, I will be doing this as yours looked great.

I will take a look around and see what tanks are up for sale around here and see what i can do, Your right it will save me time and money with the lighting anyway.

Any ideas if i will need a sump or not, I am not 100% sure what these do lol i have read people use them to top up water levels, Add supplements and stuff.

Thanks again.

Sumps work by increasing water volume, and moving equipment that may not be the most cosmetic of things out of the valuable viewing space in the main tank.

They also tend to up water surface agitation, which is generally good in marine systems, and give an opportunity to put a different set of stock in such as macroalgaes that you may not want to have in the main tank.

Also, as you say, they make maintenance easier, as you can use them for water changes and things without disrupting the main tank at all.

Thanks DrRob, So you would recommend getting one rather than not have one at all.

Simon you have got me looking at tanks now :shout:

What price would people expect to pay for a 94 litre river reef. I found this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281008306994?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 i know its Resun and not River Reef but its just a name right :look:

I didn't think it was a bad price either and comes with some cool stuff.

They're useful bits of kit, but they add their own complexities, such as ensuring that there is now overflowing in power outages, so you do need to make sure that they're sized properly.

OK Maybe its something i will look at a later date, Reading through Simons journal he didn't use one, Maybe he could shed some light on it for me.

Anyone think that tank is a good offer.

OK, Well so much for taking things slow.

I was working in West Brom today 30 mins away from where the tank was for sale on ebay. After a long story i ended up buying the tank lol.

So i now have a Resun DMS-500PL 94 Litre Aquarium, Apparently same as the River Reef 94, and the Kent 94 tanks......

It came complete with a new 150w Superfish Heater (used for a couple of hours), Boyu WG-310 skimmer (new unused), Korailia 1 Powerhead (used), Also MaxiJet 1000 return pump (used) But then she said Note : 25/10/12 I have just replaced the MaxiJet pump with 2x smaller pumps (one on each weir oulet) as it's impeller was looking worn, and grinding a little. It's much better now :), and a 4way individually switched plug socket (new).

The tank has individual switches for the whites, blues, and the blue moonlight LED's. They have also replaced the cooling fans with new ones as the old ones were grinding. It also has some sand with it too.

So now i have a tank big enough for what i want, Please say yes :hyper:

Now what do i need to get, I am not sure if there is enough sand to fill the bottom of the tank i will try (shall i mix some crushed coral into this too or will the sand just be enough). I need to purchase some salt and some live rock from somewhere, Any advice on this would be good. I now need to sort out what i am doing with the old fresh water tank :crazy:

Does anyone know of a reliable or well known site for selling live rock, One which people have used before maybe.

:rolleyes:

I dont no any that have been used etc as im just starting out like you.
I was looking at 'rocks n critters' and was going to buy from then until I got a good deal from my local :)

Thanks for the reply sausagewinkle, I will check it out. I have yet to visit my lfs to check if they have any, its only a small place so in keeping my fingers crossed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back