My Marine Adventure

Yeah 1kg of live rock for very 10 litres of water is roughly okay.  Bear in mind every time you buy coral it's usually attached to live rock so you end up adding to the tank.  If the live rock is fully cured and there is little time in transport you maybe be cycled very quickly.  It's good you have looked at journals for your tank.  It's a great way to learn.

It can be very difficult to know final stocking at the start particularly when your new to marine.  You really only learn as you do as there is so much knowledge.   You have to work with the tank you have.   Most other things can be changed if really needed, flow and lighting.  It's an all in one system so I would assume flow and lighting should be good enough for softies and LPS.  Fish will be limited to tank size and compatibility with each other, coral, sand bed and mobile inverts.

>Make sure you have pics.  That's really important in a journal. LOL.

Edit, darn iPad spacing.

Excellent, Thanks.

So if i get around 7 or 8kg of rock maybe, Then when i get round to buying coral i will get a little LR with it.

Yes it is difficult to know what fish i want atm, All i am trying to do is research how to prep the tank, Get the tank cycled, test the water and keep it clean. Then i will add fish to my research list. If this is ok to do. I can do it the other way round if needed its not a problem, Also i am not real fussy about what i want so if there was something i liked and could not have i wouldn't get it, Not change the tank around to then get it. I would just take a look at something i could get. If that makes sense.

I haven't done anything with the tank except bring it in through the door lol so no real need for any pics as of yet, I will take some later of the tank so you guys can be up to speed and will continue to take pics as i go. Thanks.

OK, I had a visit to my lfs store today. I have two near me but one is considerably further than the other so i opted for the closest one. Not to buy anything just to get some information and ask a few questions.

They sell live rock there but i think it's quite expensive, He said i needed between 10 and 15 kilos of live rock and he can do it for me at 11 pounds per kilo.

They also sell RO water at 10p a litre, And salt mixed water at 33p a litre. So if i went for the RO water i would need to buy salt and mix it myself right. And if i went with the salt mixed water it will be 33p a litre. He said i need to change at least 20 litres a month so would be looking at a cost around 12 pounds a month. How do the prices sound and what is my best option. Maybe i should look at getting a RO unit myself maybe.

He also gave me information about my tank, And try to sell me all sorts of things. I wanted to check here before i bought anything.

My tank looks like this:

IMAG0881.jpg

In the back of the tank i have the following compartments:

IMAG0883.jpg

IMAG0882.jpg

Now if i remember right he told me to take the sponge out of the filter section and get some live rock crush it or break it into small pieces and fill it up with that as it will filter it better. He then said i need carbon or something in the other chamber and ceramic media. I am not sure what goes in there or what i need to go in there, Can someone tell me what they have in there if anyone has the tank.

Any help or advice please.

If you want clowns you will need a bigger tank (I think). You will also (most likely) want to put something in the tank that will host the clowns. If that means you want an anemone, keep in mind that you are going to need TONS of light (fluorescent tubes won't produce enough, no matter how many you get). Its easier than it used to be to light a nem, there are PAR 38 12w and 15w bulbs that produce obscene amounts of light. Metal halide lamps work too, but they make a ton of heat, so a chiller might be required and take about as much electricity as a refrigerator.
I know hammer cora, glaxia, Goniopora and other LPS and softies will host clowns, but I wouldn't keep these corals in such a small tank. I have seen Galaxia put out sweepers as long as my arm (I'm 2 meters tall), hammers have long sweepers too but not like galaxia and Goniopora melts like butter and feeds heavily from the water column (hard to achieve with a skimmer but skimming is almost required in a small tank with fish).

These rules of thumb people talk about like water change schedule and WPG are to be taken with a bag of salt. Many people argue that you should change water as infrequently as possible for stability's sake. Never ever ever ever ever follow "x number of species per gallon of water" rule. If you put 1 hermit per 1 gallon of water, 2/3 to 3/4 of them would die and be eaten, not to mention they would eat all the worms and 'good guys' out of your sand and rock and then eat each other. I do weekly 15% changes, I have no mechanical filtration, no skimmer and no sump I only do frequent WC so my tank looks nice, but I could skip a month with no ill effects. I also have 17kilos of rock in 109 liters of tank.

To answer your question of what to put back there, I would only put carbon, and change it 2x a week. For the first month you can put mechanical media to collect the die off from the rock but running it continuously will just cause your nitrates to shoot up. Leaving the debris in the tank will allow animals to process it and for it to seed your sand bed.

Based on what you have said, I can safely recommend some basic things for your setup:
  1. A deep sand bed - 10cm of sugar grain sand
  2. A sump - One of my biggest regrets, really wish I would have listened to everyone on this one. There is only so much you can stick on the rim of your tank, and it all looks like crap. You can fill your sump with your DSB(deep sand bed) and your favorite method of export (your vegetative growth). Drill that tank, you wont regret it.
  3. An open top/lidless tank - Gas exchange is important and with an open top you can put adequate lighting over your favorite invert.
  4. Par 38 LEDs - These things are CHEEP (check ebay) and put out piles of light with almost no heat or electricity consumption. You can totally keep nems under these.

All my advice comes from the idea I abide by, more environments, the more diversity of life, and the more diversity the healthier your ecosystem will be. Although, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Thanks Greg, can anyone else add to this please as I know a few people see things differently.

I have seen my tank in a journal here and it was full of stuff. Also had clown fish I believe.

Will take a more detailed read when I wake up properly lol.

Clowns will quite happily host in a leather coral so no need to risk an anemone nuking your tank IMO.

My two clowns in my previous reef tank:
CIMG0888.jpg

Thanks Aqua, I have just researched about clown fish, And anemone. I am guessing Aqua is saying the anemone can or will eat or sting all other fish i was to have in my tank, Clown Fish small banded fish in various colors, are not affected by their host anemone's sting and shelter themselves from predators within its tentacles. But i am guessing it will cause me more problems to have one than not to have one. I will look at leather coral.

I feel like im kind of going around in circles here and getting rather confused.

Is my 94 litre tank big enough for clowns.

Actually if i make a little list and try go through it because i think im getting ahead of myself and i haven't actually done anything with the tank yet.

1) Live Rock - I am keeping a eye out for people shutting down tanks as i believe the 11 pounds my lfs quoted was a little steep. Yet to find anything.

2) What to actually put in the chambers in the pics i posted up there - Greg and the guy at the lfs store said about carbon, So i need to get some of this. I will need to change it twice a week, Is this correct. I was also told to take the foam piece out and fill the chamber with broken down rock, Is this good advice or will the sponge do the trick.

I don't see a problem with having a pair of clowns in a 94 litre tank once it's settled.

The point I was making about anemones is that if things go wrong and the anemone dies it can quickly release toxins into the tank (the same toxins it uses to protect itself) and with this being a small tank there is less water volume to absorb a problem like that so a total wipeout could ensue. Unless you are very confident not only about keeping an anemone but also about being able to spot one in decline I would advise against keeping one in anything under a 75g.

As for £11/kg for live rock at your LFS that's pretty good tbh.

OK Thanks Aqua.

can anyone help me with this part please.

What to actually put in the chambers in the pics i posted up there - Greg and the guy at the lfs store said about carbon, So i need to get some of this. I will need to change it twice a week, Is this correct. I was also told to take the foam piece out and fill the chamber with broken down rock, Is this good advice or will the sponge do the trick.

The only reason I think a 2 clowns in a 94 Liter is a bit much is the waste factor. You may end up needing a skimmer to keep the nitrates down, although you may be able to keep the nitrates and phosphates to a reasonable level with a sump of equivalent or larger size.

The only reason I use carbon is to remove dissolved organic compounds. I'm not sure I would fill the chamber with rock as it can collect detritus, although I know Donya does fill her filter with LR.

Big sumps have tons of advantages, not only allowing you to grow more macros, but giving you a place to put all your equipment such as heaters, thermometers, chillers, reactors or what have you and adding to the overall stability of your system. You can easily make a sump out of a plastic bin (as long as it is food grade or nontoxic).

I stumbled on this, its worth the read!
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/newbie/index.php

I would think a HOB fuge filled with chaeto would be enough with regular water changes to sort out nitrates, all depends on the amount of LR though IMO.

My HOB fuge is a regular cyano farm, they are also hard to light 24/7 without illuminating the whole tank.

I still don't see how nitrates can diffuse through LR, but I do have 38lbs in 29 gallons with massive over feeding and low NO3 so maybe there is something to LR denitrification. But all LR will leach phosphates to some degree.

This is an all in one system so you shouldn't have to modify much. I think most people with these tanks take out the ceramics. They become a nitrate trap.

The compartments in the back can hide some of the equipment such as the heater and the tank came with a skimmer which I assume you are going to use.

I've read of people useing one of the compartments to hold cheato and stick a small LED in. Thats one option. Or get a HOB refuge as Aqua stated. Carbon, some phospate remover such as Rowaphos and filter floss is another option. I wonder what the flow is like through the compartments. The skimmer will go in one of the compartments. Some live rock could be put in there put there is a chance of it becoming a nitrate trap.

I change my carbon every 4 weeks.

OK Cool, Thanks. I understand a little more now. I get lost reading some posts and actually think have you been reading what i posted lol. I did say i have a skimmer as Xray noticed.

I will do some research now on the things suggested. Thanks again.

I might give the LR a miss and just keep the sponge filter in for now see how it goes.

OK, I have decided to keep my old 72 litre tank (i am going to take the 4 fish out of there and move them to a smaller tank for my boys room) and use the 72 litre tank as a sump.

I have been watching youtube videos regarding this and seems i have a fair bit of work to do. Again no rush and i am just researching as much as i can atm but it seems the right way to go. I was going to sell my other tank but for what i will get for it, its worth keeping and turning into a sump right.

Definitely :)

There are some very good DIY methods for whisper quiet overflow pipes which will mean you don't have to drill the main tank. I have one on my Trigon 190 and it cost about £15 :D

My HOB fuge is a regular cyano farm, they are also hard to light 24/7 without illuminating the whole tank.
I was going to light mine only when the main tank lights are off, this was advice given from many people on a marine forum, which apparently helps.

Most reactions

Back