My Managerie of Tanks

The problem with a. borelli and cory occurs if she decides to expand her family. She naturally wouldn't want a cory trodding over her eggs or young ones so she will try to chase them away but of course the cory being sort of like mules won't understand no means no and keep returning. This of course creates a very stressful situation for the mother and well stress can trigger all sort of issues also she might decide to go for the eyes which isn't all that healthy for the cory.
 
The problem with a. borelli and cory occurs if she decides to expand her family. She naturally wouldn't want a cory trodding over her eggs or young ones so she will try to chase them away but of course the cory being sort of like mules won't understand no means no and keep returning. This of course creates a very stressful situation for the mother and well stress can trigger all sort of issues also she might decide to go for the eyes which isn't all that healthy for the cory.
Not borelli
Nannacara anomala.

And the cories can be moved to one of my other tanks if necessary
 
Not borelli
Nannacara anomala.

And the cories can be moved to one of my other tanks if necessary
Same issue and sorry that is a green nannacara (they can be found in different colour morphs in the wild including red, blue and black). Actually it can be worse since the female nannacara is far more aggressive then obrelli when she spawns.

Conversely they are very smart fishes and i hope you have them long enough to experience their unique behavior and ability to learn.
 
Same issue and sorry that is a green nannacara (they can be found in different colour morphs in the wild including red, blue and black). Actually it can be worse since the female nannacara is far more aggressive then obrelli when she spawns.

Conversely they are very smart fishes and i hope you have them long enough to experience their unique behavior and ability to learn.
Are you saying theyre not n. anomala? I was sold them as goldeneyes, or is it just another common name?

I expect there to be aggression with spawning, and have plans to move fish to other tank as necessary 😊 that was something that was considered when I got her a couple months back.
 
Are you saying theyre not n. anomala? I was sold them as goldeneyes, or is it just another common name?

I expect there to be aggression with spawning, and have plans to move fish to other tank as necessary 😊 that was something that was considered when I got her a couple months back.
It is indeed a n. anomala i was just noting that in the wild they come in different colours but alas they seem to not have been imported in years. They are one of my favorite dwarf cichild.
 
It is indeed a n. anomala i was just noting that in the wild they come in different colours but alas they seem to not have been imported in years. They are one of my favorite dwarf cichild.
Im definitely enjoying their personality. Theyre more outgoing than my apistogramma were. I only got the female borelli now and shes content on her own but shes a bit sulky.

These guys are always out and about and explore the entire tank levels, not just the bottom. Every day non breeding behaviour has been really peaceful and curious. They're pretty too! I don't get why they're not as popular as they once were. They seem to have everything that people like about dwarf cichlids.
 
Her colours today are something else 😁

20260711_231122.webp
 
Natural sunshine really changes the colours perceived.

Normal aquarium LED lights:
20260713_184337.webp


@anewbie I see why they may have been called green nannacara. In natural sunshine the blue goes a golden green!

Afternoon sunshine:
20260724_201141(0).webp
20260724_201316.webp
20260724_201314.webp
20260724_201134.webp
20260724_201426.webp
 
Proof that even I succumb to terrible tanks at times haha

Haven't been keeping up on algae removal between work, sleep deprivation, kid being off school for summer, bringing kid to tutoring, etc... it caught up to me, killed some of my plants.

20260725_215315.webp


So I removed about 3lbs of algae from the tank, trimmed, and replanted from scratch.
20260803_161401.webp


I'm off to Ottawa and Quebec for the week so I will get home and find all the plants uprooted, I am sure.
 
which brand light do you use ? week pro l? chiros? netlea ?
 
which brand light do you use ? week pro l? chiros? netlea ?
This one is a Seaoura
Screenshot_20260804_114026_Amazon Shopping.webp


Set to 6 hours a day, no blue light at night.

My algae is caused by excess phosphates and there is no other way around it for me aside from manual removal. Unfortunately because I have to use Sechem Neutral Regulator to keep my pH stable... it's a phosphate based product.
 
This one is a Seaoura
View attachment 384482

Set to 6 hours a day, no blue light at night.

My algae is caused by excess phosphates and there is no other way around it for me aside from manual removal. Unfortunately because I have to use Sechem Neutral Regulator to keep my pH stable... it's a phosphate based product.
It is not necessary to tweek ph - fishes care about kh/gh not actual ph except in very extreme cases which trigger a change in bacteria.

I guess what i was actually asking is if you use different brands of light do you notice much of a change in plant behavior at a given par ?
 
It is not necessary to tweek ph - fishes care about kh/gh not actual ph except in very extreme cases which trigger a change in bacteria.

I guess what i was actually asking is if you use different brands of light do you notice much of a change in plant behavior at a given par ?
I do notice this particular light is stronger and plants seem to like it just fine.


For my particular reason I need to keep my pH stable. Its not chasing pH, but needing to keep it stable.

It fluctuates between weekly water changes too harshly and I lose fish from pH shock if I don't keep it stable. Tap comes out at 6.4 pH but after sitting 7 days it rises to 7.8 pH. They did construction on our water pipes on my street and it crashed badly. I did a water change and lost all of my kubotai rasboras and pygmy cories that I used to have. All in one go.

So, need to keep it stable or the little guys dont fare well witb the pH difference.

Have tested with a basic glass of water to rule out anything in the tank causing the swings and it rises even in just regular drinking glass sat out for 7 days 🙃
 
I do notice this particular light is stronger and plants seem to like it just fine.


For my particular reason I need to keep my pH stable. Its not chasing pH, but needing to keep it stable.

It fluctuates between weekly water changes too harshly and I lose fish from pH shock if I don't keep it stable. Tap comes out at 6.4 pH but after sitting 7 days it rises to 7.8 pH. They did construction on our water pipes on my street and it crashed badly. I did a water change and lost all of my kubotai rasboras and pygmy cories that I used to have. All in one go.

So, need to keep it stable or the little guys dont fare well witb the pH difference.

Have tested with a basic glass of water to rule out anything in the tank causing the swings and it rises even in just regular drinking glass sat out for 7 days 🙃
Weird - i never observed a fish dying from ph shock and my ph naturally changes by 1 or 2 over time. My lowest aquarium is around 3.9 or 4.1. The only issue i've had is that wc fishes do a heck of a lot better than tank raised one (probably more adapted to low ph bacteria).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top