My Hoplo Catfish Just Farted...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LucyB

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just a quick question really...

Was watching my tank the other day when I saw one of my 2 Hoplo Catfish with her tail up on a rock and her head on the sand with bubbles coming out of her...erm... well, basically, she was farting. :sick: :blink:

Is this normal? I thought it might be because they suck up so much air when they eat the fish flake? :dunno:

Thanks.. :)

If they took air into their body, I would've thought that they would've expelled it out've their mouth/gills. :hyper: This is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard of.

I so should have got a video! :snap: But I just sat there in front of the tank, with my mouth open, watching possibly the strangest thing I have ever seen :lol: I was completely amazed! :blink:

I so should have got a video! :snap: But I just sat there in front of the tank, with my mouth open, watching possibly the strangest thing I have ever seen :lol: I was completely amazed! :blink:
My Tzuppy farts every now and then. Usually after sucking food from the surface and ingesting air.

Regular occurance?

Get a video!
If only I'd have my phone handy whenever I see it.
But it's nothing spectacular. He lands on the sand and then an air bubble comes from under his belly and floats to the surface. No fart sounds (fortunately, because my mom would probably be like "What was that?" every time it would happen).

mine did it today. thought i was imagining it at first till my son saw it too and burst out laughing lol

mine did it today. thought i was imagining it at first till my son saw it too and burst out laughing lol

:lol:

It is becoming a regular occurance for my 2 hoplos the lil' buggers :lol:

Without googling the specifics about it being a Hoplo thing, this sounds very much like what Weather Loaches do. Namely, the loaches remove old intestinal air on the way to the surface to ingest fresh air, this useful adaptation allows these fish to live in what would otherwise be considered poor quality water.

mine dont do it on the way to the surface.
he sits happily along the bottom trumping away and will stay in the
same spot for awhile before swimming off
(hoplo's are a large catfish fish :) )

Attachments

• hoplo n cory.jpg
    hoplo n cory.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 111
mine dont do it on the way to the surface.
he sits happily along the bottom trumping away and will stay in the
same spot for awhile before swimming off
(hoplo's are a large catfish fish :) )

Same here! Mine like to position themselves correctly with their tail on a rock and do their thang' :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back