My Guppy Fry :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ellieabbott4

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
so here is the progress of my guppy fry.

most of them were born on 26/12/12, a few were born a few days later.

firstly there is a video of one of them being born, its quite blurry but you can make out they fry coming out and sitting on the bottom of the breeding net:

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/user/ellieabbott4/media/pic1_zps5761a13a.mp4.html

next is the fry at about 2 weeks old, enjoying life and eating a plec pellet, and of course growing bigger:

photo4-Copy2_zps5e5084fa.jpg

photo5-1-Copy_zps59d19eac.jpg

photo_zps38352bbb.jpg

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/user/ellieabbott4/media/IMG_0581_zpse28fd7bf.mp4.html

this is the fry at about 3 1/2 weeks:

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/user/ellieabbott4/media/IMG_0595_zps89c1df79.mp4.html

And this is my fry now, 6 weeks old, lovely and big, getting some lovely colours coming through:

photo1-1-Copy3_zpsdddbe40a.jpg

photo2-1-Copy3_zps1a9d726b.jpg

photo1PNG-1_zps43bfeecd.jpg

photo2PNG-1_zps60783e13.jpg

photo3PNG-1_zps07a0f3e7.jpg

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/user/ellieabbott4/media/IMG_0738_zps4a12116b.mp4.html

I will keep uploading pictures as they get bigger and more colourful :)

Wow!! You must know alot about guppy.
How do you stop them from fighting??

Actually I don't know much at all, I have just learnt from reading things on here about keeping the water quality good when you have fry, what to feed them and so on. They don't seem to fight at all, they get along really well. I even put 5 new fry that were just born just the other day into the tank with the older ones and they don't bother them at all. They all swim around nicely and eat happily. I suppose I've just been lucky I guess

They are gorgeous! I love their markings! Are they endler crosses? My LFS have endlers in at the moment it's so tempting! My fry are only 4 weeks old, the only colour they have is starting on their tails!

what a nice little fish that is, I love watching my baby guppies develop, get some nice throw backs sometimes of colours I have not had in my tank, I started with some really very plain colours that I inherited, and gradually the colours have developed  I tend to keep the more interesting one's and rehome the rest, also mine never seem to fight they all get on fine even with the mollies they share the tank with

Ny82 said:
They are gorgeous! I love their markings! Are they endler crosses? My LFS have endlers in at the moment it's so tempting! My fry are only 4 weeks old, the only colour they have is starting on their tails!
 I think they must have endler in them somewhere but originally i started off with two females from my LFS and they had blue tails. and these ones came out a few batches along the way and then the latest one has now come along:

i love watching the fry change colour. they seem to change over night some of them.

Shadders said:
what a nice little fish that is, I love watching my baby guppies develop, get some nice throw backs sometimes of colours I have not had in my tank, I started with some really very plain colours that I inherited, and gradually the colours have developed  I tend to keep the more interesting one's and rehome the rest, also mine never seem to fight they all get on fine even with the mollies they share the tank with

i keep the best/interesting colours as well and then pass the rest on. one day there will be a whole rainbow of fish swimming around.......

Ellieabbott4 said:
 I think they must have endler in them somewhere but originally i started off with two females from my LFS and they had blue tails. and these ones came out a few batches along the way and then the latest one has now come along:

i love watching the fry change colour. they seem to change over night some of them.
WOW!!! they are just stunning! I love the rainbow ones! You must be so proud! If you ever need to sell some keep me in mind :p

Ny82 said:

WOW!!! they are just stunning! I love the rainbow ones! You must be so proud! If you ever need to sell some keep me in mind
tongue2.gif

I have to agree they are stunning, mine have a long way to go to even get close to them

Ny82 said:

WOW!!! they are just stunning! I love the rainbow ones! You must be so proud! If you ever need to sell some keep me in mind :p

Once I've built up a good bunch then of course I will be selling some so people can enjoy them as well :) I think it will be a while before I've got a good colony of them though.

Shadders - I've had to go through at least 7 batches of babies before any of these ones came out, but its worth the wait and the suprise of not knowing what colours will come out next

That's what I love about guppy fry. Although I have no patience lol. My 2 batches I have just now came from gold females, already pregnant from the LFS. The females unfortunately died so it will be interesting to see what colours they turn out. 

Ellie, do you move your pregnant females to a spawning tank, if so what size do you use, mine are all just born in main tank, I don't have access to anything else at the mo, and I don't like those breeding traps, they seem to stress my mothers out to much

Ny82- I had the same thing with my 2 females from the LFS. Between two of them they had 70 fry within two days of each other! I think it took it out of both of them and they both died straight after. You could end up with some good colours as you don't know who they were mixing with at the LFS.

Shadders - I've got a separate 60l tank that I use to let the babies grow up in. I can usually tell when the females are ready to drop by watching their behaviour and then i put them in the breeding trap in the 60l tank and once she is finished popping i put her back in the main tank and let the babies out the trap. But just recently I've been successful in just leaving the female to have the fry in my main 90l tank and just catching the fry as and when I see them, and then transferring them to the fry tank. They do well to survive in the main tank as I have lots of hiding places. I only like to keep them separate so that when people come to collect the ones I don't want then they are not getting mixed up with mine that I'm keeping. It just makes life easier.

yeah I think I need to set up some sort of fry tank, like you say makes it easier for when re-homing the little beauties, would cut down the disturbance to main tank also, not that I disturb it to much have got fry catching to to an art now thank's to a few tips picked up via google

It is a lot lot easier. What tips have you got for catching the little ones?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back