My Freshwater Kingdom

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Week 7: After all of my hard work I've finally finished the slate cave and installed it. There were a few adjustments that I had to make, including switching the top edge panel, but besides that it's the same. The fish love it and so do I! It's probably the best thing I've done so far with my 36 gal tank and I'm still planning on making a few more additions. Eventually, I plan on adding sand to the top layer to give it an even more natural look, as well as adding some driftwood. Now I'll have to turn my attention to getting a new tank lid due to the fact that my light fixture has broken and so has the front flap.
This proves to be the most expensive thing yet. I've looked all over the net and the lowest price I could find was $39. So I've also started thinking about getting a Versa-Top. They seem much more sleek and sturdier than the original lid, so I'll be trying to save up some cash for the $27 lid and then the light fixture which is even more expensive than that. If ayone has any recomendations to a good aquarium light fixture for a planted and large tank, please let me know.
So last but not least, Bill the Amazing has disappeared. It hurts me inside to say that he may have been eaten by Chris, my male gourami :( . It was a bit surprising to find that after completly emptying the tank and checking the gravel that he was nowhere to be found. He couldn't have gotten out due to the fact that I sealed off any possible exit. So I guess I just learned that if I want to make additions to the livestock, it's best to find something too big for Chris to eat. Tear... I was really attatched to Bill... But anyways all is well in the aquarium and it's looking good. So here's my pic of the completely revamped tank:

Photo02101835_1_zps38cc3297.jpg

Hope you like it!

And thanks, AirFarceLive, I spent hours making that thing.

Wow! I love it! Nothing better than a great pay off anfter working hard on something so cool, 'eh? I'd recomend some nice java moss on it will make it a fream come true! Anyway I see you need a new lighting fixture... let me dig up some info... *Begins digging in the backyard* http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/Lobos/ http://www.marinedepot.com/LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-FILTFILD-ct.html 
Thats all I can find for now; need some more info like lenght and other qualities like plants you'rew gonna keep int there, because without this you might make the wrong purchase (No one wants that!) So more info pls! :D

It's 24-36 inches... and it's a 36 gallon bowfront. Right now I'm looking for lighting under $50. It doesn't really matter how it is (clip-on, sitting, overhead) I was able to order the new tank versa-top so I can basically put anything on top of it.
@fishfanatic: thanks!

This is shaping up very nicely! The slate is beautiful.

Photo02171621_1_zpsff89289e.jpg

This is the new versa-top I got. It's quite sturdy and really helps with evaporation. Now it's on to the lighting.

So I was able to get my hands on an okay camera and I took some pics. Here they are:
FishPics085_zps8f8de268.jpg

FishPics046_zps72461c53.jpg

This here's one of my oto's.

FishPics002_zps7d61ee84.jpg

This is my cory, and he's actually quite a diva; it was almost like he posed in each of my photos.

FishPics123_zps9d8a8542.jpg

Some of my tetras

FishPics112_zps4a4fbfcc.jpg

And one of my male gourami, he was probably the most difficult to get a pic of because apparently he's like me and hates the camera.
So there ya go. Sorry they're not the amazing HD quality photos usually on this website, I don't have the nicest of cameras or photography skills.

Very very cool. I really like the lighting on the side of the tank. It adds a whole new dimension to the tank. Might have to steal that in the future :)

Thanks, but it wasn't actually intentional. My original light broke so I've been using an old lamp of mine to keep the tank alight. It does have a pretty interesting look to it, but I miss the full tank brightness that comes with a lid light.

Week 10: So I got a new air pump. It's about twice the size of my older one which was a 10-20 gal pump, it's 30-40 gal. I had set it up and it was working greatly till I noticed that one of the airstones wasn't bubling. I then proceded to attempt to fix it, but only accomplished in making it worse. Now both are broken and I've got to get two new ones. But luckily they're only 3 dollars tops at Walmart, so it won't be long.
I got a new crayfish to replace Bill, he's much bigger so there's no chance he'll get eaten this time (Wooo!). He's very beautiful and loves to crawl around and explore. The tank is doing great and nothing has died. I found a good light online for less than $60, so I'll be saving up for that. I'll keep you posted.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back