My Fluval Edge

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AliveJoker

Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to fish keeping and decided to go with the fluval edge 6 gallon fishtank. As soon as i see the tank in my local Aquarium, i had to buy it straight away (STUNNING). I went for the tropical set up and have 6 fish. They are 2 Mollies (both male), 2 guppies (both male), 1 betta (male) and a sailfin plec. All seem to be doing just fine 3 months on. i feed them 3-4 times a week with various types of food from flake, frozen and live. Although my sailfin plec does love the occassional slice of cucumber.
Decoration inside i went for plastic plants (keeps the tank very easy to maintain), some rock and drift wood with a piece of fossel.
I would really like to get a moonlit effect but have no ideas,(so any info would be greatly appreciated).
Thanks for your time.

Well, I'll go first, as I'm sure once it's noticed, you'll get flamed by everyone.

The Edge tank is far too small for your stock. The Sailfin can grow bigger than your actual tank for a start.

Well, I'll go first, as I'm sure once it's noticed, you'll get flamed by everyone.

The Edge tank is far too small for your stock. The Sailfin can grow bigger than your actual tank for a start.

Thanks for the reply, my Sailfin plec is only just under 2 inches at the moment, How long will it take to out grow the tank? I was thinking of taking him out once he got to about 5 inches. He seems very happy at the moment though. what stock would you say is ideal?

I would rehome all the fish and start your stocking again. A Sailfin can easily reach 18" and ideally needs a 5ft tank minimum, although 6ft is better.
To be honest, you shouldn't have been sold any of those fish for that tank, I personally don't think any of them are suitable.
Consider looking at some of the following:

Boraras maculatus
Boraras brigittae
Boraras merah
Ember Tetra
Pygmy Corydoras

Oh dear oh dear :no:

I really hope you take notice of the advice already given (by some top members I would like to say)and quickly.

You have stumbled across a very good forum but it is a shame you didn't arrive here before adding a ridiculous amount of stock to such a small set up.

No real harm done as it seems that the fish are coping but to be fair to them and to continue on this forum and to become a successful fish keeper then I really hope you take advice already given :good:

Thank you all for your advice. It seems i have been given the wrong advice from the aquariums i bought the fish from. I will take drastic action, and give my stock a bigger and better life.
I will look at the list of fish you have given me to.

Thank you again

Thank you all for your advice. It seems i have been given the wrong advice from the aquariums i bought the fish from. I will take drastic action, and give my stock a bigger and better life.
I will look at the list of fish you have given me to.

Thank you again

GOOD MAN! :good:

Welcome to TFF AliveJoker.
I see you have already been given some harsh but realistic advice. All of your fish will some day be too big for your little tank. Those are great looking little tanks but they need to be stocked with fish that will stay small. A few others you could consider would be Heterandria formosa which reach a whopping 2 cm long. This is one of my males in an extreme closeup.
MaleCloseup.jpg

Other possibilities for that tank would be pygmy cories or even an all male endler grouping. This is some of my breeding colony of endlers at feeding time.
Firstshot.jpg

Golden teddies, Xenophallus umbratilis, also work in small quarters. This is one of my females
Female3_640.jpg

and this is one of my males, you may recognize the picture.
MaleCourt_640.jpg

Hi
I'm new to fish keeping and decided to go with the fluval edge 6 gallon fishtank. As soon as i see the tank in my local Aquarium, i had to buy it straight away (STUNNING). I went for the tropical set up and have 6 fish. They are 2 Mollies (both male), 2 guppies (both male), 1 betta (male) and a sailfin plec. All seem to be doing just fine 3 months on. i feed them 3-4 times a week with various types of food from flake, frozen and live. Although my sailfin plec does love the occassional slice of cucumber.
Decoration inside i went for plastic plants (keeps the tank very easy to maintain), some rock and drift wood with a piece of fossel.
I would really like to get a moonlit effect but have no ideas,(so any info would be greatly appreciated).
Thanks for your time.

i always think about getting a fluval edge. id stock it with somethin like..

a honey gourami
5 neon tetras (or one of the other tiny schooling fish others are bringin up)
3 pygmy corydoras'
10 ghost shrimp
and an apple snail

^fill it with a lot of low maintenence live plants and a small cave or two. that'd be really nice.

Just done one at work and stocked it with Galaxy Rasbora, Cherry Shrimp and a single Honey Gourami. Might change the Gourami though for a Pygmy or two when we get them in. Looks nice with a black background, black/white gravel, small pieces of mountain rock and come small crypts in there. Shame the lighting on them is so dire.

It's a shame people sell stock knowing full well what tank they're going in and saying it's fine. Not just for the fish's sake, but the new unsuspecting owner who is watching a timebomb slowly ticking away..

Just done one at work and stocked it with Galaxy Rasbora, Cherry Shrimp and a single Honey Gourami. Might change the Gourami though for a Pygmy or two when we get them in. Looks nice with a black background, black/white gravel, small pieces of mountain rock and come small crypts in there. Shame the lighting on them is so dire.

It's a shame people sell stock knowing full well what tank they're going in and saying it's fine. Not just for the fish's sake, but the new unsuspecting owner who is watching a timebomb slowly ticking away..

pet stores are ridiculous. the one near me has a fluval edge 'show tank' set up with an opaline gourami, and like 4 guppies. maybe some other fish too, i can't remember. its so effin stupid, they have the entire store of fish to choose from and thats what they put in the tank.

A lot are, but not all. I'm now re-doing all the tanks at work, so they're getting the right stuff in only and not juveniles of things which will get too big. I want to be able to show examples of a well stocked tank, rather than these pretty little fish which will grow huge in a few months.
Seems to be working so far too, as when people come in asking, I can just show them an ideal, which makes it easier to explain. We get more returning customers because we try to offer realistic advice, rather than making a quick ££ and an improving reputation to boot. Surely it makes sense for most stores to aim for that?

Anyways, to the OP. I missed the part about moonlight effect. There's the marina lights which can come in various colours, but they're not overly bright. I'd look at buying the small LED strips and attatching them to the inside of the cover somehow. Sticky velcro pads, or the foam pads would probably do it aswell as keeping everything hidden away. Ebay will be your easiest bet..

Hey guys!

I've just started a topic on my Edge (comes up with a search).

I've found the perfect stand for it (photos) and I've also done the MR16 lighting upgrade which allows for a wider range of bulbs (halogen and LED) to be used.

You could in theory also add an extra MR16/MR11 connector and add one of the blue LED bulbs. This could be easily be put on a seperate switch.

BTW, the lighting with the LED is so much better and my photo's really don't do it justice!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back