My Fishless Cycling Readings (update)

Hi there Ruby. In your post (#87 above) you state that nitrite drops to zero about about 22 hours after adding ammonia. But then later in the post you state that its dropping to zero in about 10 hours "after your morning test." I just wanted to check that you are just saying the same thing, that the morning test is after 12 hours, so you are adding the 10 and getting 22, and its not two different drop times you are reporting(?) Note that when you list strings of daily test results, its much easier for us if no times-of-day are mentioned at all, but instead if "number of hours after ammonia add" is the thing mentioned (I always think it should be easier to type too!)

It sounds like you beginning to get the nitrite spike behind you and nitrite drop times will be hanging closer to the 24 hours for a while and then usually will suddenly fall to just shy of making it in 12 hours and hang there. Then finally you'll get both ammonia and nitrite dropping to zero in 12 hours and can start your qualifying week. You'll get there.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks Waterdrop....I can see how my comments might be confusing :/

Yes your interpretation is correct.The reference to clearly within 10 hours is 10 hours after the morning test which is therefore 22 hours after adding the ammonia

Sorry about the times in my updates,I thought I was been clever and helping by putting the times down so that you guys could see exactly what I'm doing and when so you can pick up on anything of note.

Thanks for your continued help :good:

Sometimes nitrite will spike a little in the final week, and best have that happen without fish in the tank. :nod:
-FHM

Agree with that, as mine spiked today, so still not fish-ready yet.

Ruby, purely out of interest, what size is your tank?

Thanks Dave

From what you said about and your Nitrite suddenly reducing to zero after 12 hours about 8 days after Ammonia then hopefully i'm not too far away :good:

To answer your question though my tank is the bow fronted Juwel 180 vision.

How's it going now Ruby? At the 12 hour marker mine changed rapidly for the better.
One day it was 1ppm 12 hours on, the next, 0ppm!
Hopefully yours is there too now?

Hi Dave

I'm glad to hear about your progress :good:

Not much happening my end.

My ammonia (5ppm) clears overnight within 12 hours and has been for the last 8 days

However during that time my nitrite is sky high at the first morning test but for the last 8 days that massive amount of nitrite has cleared to zero by the time of the night test 12 hours later.

I'm waiting/hoping that one of the experienced members can pass on comment as I don't know if I need to continue as I am or cut back on the ammonia doze or even if I'm cycled perish the thought :blink:

As a complete fish virgin it amazes me that my filter is processing an off the scale reading for nitrite to zero within 12 daylight hours but shows no sign of lowering between adding the ammonia the night before and the reading first thing in a morning.

If you can add 5ppm of ammonia and 12 hours later the ammonia is 0ppm, and the nitrite is 0ppm, and you are getting a good nitrate reading I would say you are fully cycled.

Correct me of I am wrong, but you said this is what was happening for the last 8 days? If that is the case, I would say it is time for fish!

-FHM

I would love you forever if that was right................but.

Yes my ammonia is clearing within 12 hours of adding it and has for 8 days but my nitrite as yet is not clearing within 12 hours of adding the ammonia the night before,but it is within 24 hours.

My reference to the 12 hours for nitrite is that at the 12 hour stage after adding ammonia the night before its still deep mauve/way off the chart (nutrafin kit) but from that point it then clears to zero within 12 hours of that so i suppose technically its only clearing within 24 hours of adding ammonia but it is clearing from off the scale reading to zero within 12 hours if you see what i mean....but i'm not sure if me thinking/hoping i'm cycled because of that is cheating?.

From whaty dave says and his 7/8 days it sounds as if one morning very soon I will wake to find my nitrite test almost clear 12 hours AFTER adding the ammonia dose the night before........then Q week :D

I say you are almost there then. Since you are taking 5ppm of ammonia to 0ppm in 12 hours, and then 24 hours your nitrite is 0ppm; I would say you are almost there.

I would guess in about a week maybe you should see that ammonia and nitrite will reach 0ppm within 12 hours.

After that has happened, give it another week, just to be on the safe side. Sometimes nitrite will spike a little in the final week, and best have that happen without fish in the tank. :nod:

Just keep adding the ammonia, and one day it will all come through! :good:

-FHM

Thank you,lets hope so :good:

yes nitrate is expected to be high, but sometimes too high can inhibit bacteria growth. i don't honestly think this is whats happening here, i just think your cycle is a touch ont he slow side as sometimes happens, however a large water change to reduce the nitrate won't hurt and you never know it just may help.

Hiya Miss W

If I was to do a water change at this stage what % are you talking about,just a small one or the same massive one you do at the end of the cycle anyway?

If you dont think a water change is absolutely necessary I wont do it and I'll plod on waiting for the magic day when the nitrite also drops in 12 hours,if you think its crucial I will over the weekend

How's it shaping up Ruby? :unsure:

Thanks Dave for the check up :good:

Things look as if they have picked up again and hopefully Q week is very very near.

After about 10 days of ammonia clearing within 12 hours and nitrite around 22 hours this morning at the 12 hour mark Nitrite was 0.25 (it had previously been off the scale at 12 hour mark)

As so close I decided to test at 14 hour mark and nitrite was zero :thumbs:

So I'm hoping that tomorrow at 12 hour mark the nitrite will be zero and that I can start my Q week.

How are you going Dave? Still in your Q week or have you stocked yet? If so,what interesting choices have you made?

:lol: Ruby, your complicated posts are finally getting a little simpler! I'm happy for you that your 22 hours has dropped to 14 hours :)

There's no predicting how long the N-Bacs will seem to "hang" just shy of dropping it to zero in 12 hours, you just have to steel yourself and wait it out.

~~waterdrop~~

Cool, you should see that magical 12 hour marker in no time now! :good:

Rubyuk said:
How are you going Dave? Still in your Q week or have you stocked yet? If so,what interesting choices have you made?

Final throws of qualifying now, tank stats are stable, should be good to go mid-week! :hyper:

Stocking from our smaller tanks as we usually have a good turnover of fry!
Nothing particularly interesting, mostly Mollies & Platies for now.

Mollies:
1 x Black Sailfin Lyretail (male)
1 x Bright Orange
1 x Peach
1 x Silver
1 x Dalmation Lyretail
1 x Orange & Black

3 x Tuxedo Platy's (1 male)

1 x Albino Bristlenose Plec

2 x Penguin Tetra's

:lol: Ruby, your complicated posts are finally getting a little simpler! I'm happy for you that your 22 hours has dropped to 14 hours :)

There's no predicting how long the N-Bacs will seem to "hang" just shy of dropping it to zero in 12 hours, you just have to steel yourself and wait it out.

~~waterdrop~~

Sorry Waterdrop :dunno:

I was just following previous advice on other forum threads to include as much detail as possible so that the helpers dont need to ask loads more questions before giving their advice.

I thought by including as much detail including time of tests etc I was helping out :unsure:

Hi Ruby, was not criticizing, as its often a hard call and extra detail can indeed often let people see a problem they might not have seen otherwise!

I was just observing and hoping to help you boil it down to the simpler thing that with fishless cycling an awful lot of it is just about those twice daily checks of ammonia, nitrite and pH and the simple statement of whether it was a "12 hours from ammonia add" or a "24 hours from ammonia add" type of reading. Its amazing how hard that can be for those of us doing the "checking up" to see in the posts! Its really just laziness on our parts (at least mine, lol) but simple formats allow us to check more often on more people usually.

~~waterdrop~~

Hi Ruby, was not criticizing, as its often a hard call and extra detail can indeed often let people see a problem they might not have seen otherwise!

I was just observing and hoping to help you boil it down to the simpler thing that with fishless cycling an awful lot of it is just about those twice daily checks of ammonia, nitrite and pH and the simple statement of whether it was a "12 hours from ammonia add" or a "24 hours from ammonia add" type of reading. Its amazing how hard that can be for those of us doing the "checking up" to see in the posts! Its really just laziness on our parts (at least mine, lol) but simple formats allow us to check more often on more people usually.

~~waterdrop~~

:good:

excellent news ruby, certainly getting moving now

:lol:

just busy with my new job, checking in when i can! nice to be missed though.

:lol: Yes and we want her to buckle down on that new job and *ignore* us, alright? We know you'll be back when you get a chance MW, so resist if need be!

Evening everyone

Things seem to be going ok but i'll update you on the full missing days of my update as i'm not sure if I may have a problem either now,or just around the corner :unsure:

Day 42

12 hour test after adding ammonia - Ammonia 0,Nitrite off scale
24 hour test - nitrite 0

Day 43

12 hour test - Ammonia 0
Nitrite off scale

24 hour test - Nitrite 0
Nitrate Possibly off scale

Day 44

12 hour test - Ammonia 0
Nitrite still high

24 hour test - Nitrite 0

Day 45

12 hour test - Ammonia 0
Nitrite still high

24 hour test - Nitrite -0

Day 46

12 hour test - Ammonia 0
Nitrite still high

24 hour test - Nitrite 0

Day 47

12 hour test - Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.3

14 hour test - Nitrite 0

Day 48

12 hour test - Ammonia 0
Nitrite 1.0

16 hour test - Nitrite 0

Ph 7.5
Nitrate Still v.high

Day 49 (today 4/3/09)

12 hour test - Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.3

14 hour test - Nitrite 0

24 hour test Nitrate still very high

Now heres the potential problem :sad:

Whilst i've periodically tested my Ph to make sure its kept fairly stable and it has I've only tested now and again for Kh and Gh with the nutrafin liquid test.

Regular readers will know that both Gh and Kh increased steadily during my cycle but not massively......until now!!

At 24 hour test tonight Gh is 320 ppm!!!
Kh 40

I don't understand these figures as surely that massive hard water reading means I wont be able to keep much variety of fish?

Do you think this could be a dud test? I'm certainly going to test again in the morning as if its correct I would have though that there would have been a drastic knock on effect elsewhere with my cycle or does this explain why its taken as long as it has?

Previously my increased readings have been put down to the effect of my dorset pea gravel and Carric Sea eco complete planting substrate but can they be behind these new readings or is it just part of the cycling process?

In case of a Ph crash (I didn't think there had been one because my Ph yesterday was still 7.5) but I tested Ph again just now and its 7.5

I've added my ammonia dose as normal tonight.

Do I need to do anything to rectify Kh and Gh or wait until end of cycle and see if large water change fixes things or do I need urgent action now in case this ruins/stalls my cycle when I'm very close to being cycled?

Just to put you in the picture on my previous Kh and Gh readings so you dont have to read back through every page

Tap Water readings: Gh 80 Kh 30

Day 1 of fishless cycling Gh 80 Kh 50

Day 10 Gh 120 Kh 80

Day 18 Gh 120 Kh 80

Day 22 Gh 140 Kh 80

Day 28 Gh 160 Kh 70

Thats my last Gh and Kh readings before today, Day 49

:/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back