8-30am Ammonia 0
Nitrite V.high

4-00pm Nitrite 0.1 to 0.3

6-00pm Nitrite 0

10-30pm 7.11ml of ammonia added to bring reading upto about 4.9ppm

Day 38

10-00am Ammonia 0
Nitrite Same v.high reading

4-00pm Nitrite Still high,maybe slighty lighter deep colour than 10-00am reading

10-30pm Nitrite 0
PH 7.5

10-30pm added 7.11ml of ammonia to bring reading upto 4.9ppm

Day 39

10-30am Ammonia 0
Nitrite Same v.high reading

6-15pm Nitrite 0.3

9-15pm Nitrite 0

9-15pm added 7.11ml of ammonia to bring reading upto 4.9ppm

Day 40 (today 23/2/09)

9-15am Ammonia 0
Nitrite Same v.high reading as other mornings

8-30pm Nitrite 0

8-30pm 7.11ml of ammonia added to bring reading upto 4.9ppm

So ammonia is still been converted from 4.9ppm to zero over night within 12 hours.

Nitrite is not going to zero overnight but technically is going from very high off scale reading (?) first reading in the morning to zero within 12 hours during the day when i get to do the last test at night,so thinking about it could that be considered as cycled or is that cheating.Does it have to be zero within 12 hours of adding the ammonia dose the night before?

I've only just thought of the first possibility as surely it takes time for the ammonia to be converted into nitrite so when I add the ammonia on a night i've no idea when the nitrite readings start to register other than knowing that first thing in a morning they are very high/off the chart.

Is it wishful thinking on my part to dream that I might be already in my qualifying week without realising it :huh:

I hope someone will be along soon to either tell me the good or the bad news :good:

Mine is doing similar to your Ruby.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p3a...Og1sOn0Ae0EAVdA

Ammo is always added at 8-9pm.
Ammonia fully processes in 12 hours.
Nitrite is still present at 12 hours (although not as high as yours), but fully clears at the 24 hour mark.

I wondered the same as you, as the Nitrite would only start building up as the Ammo processes.
So although the Ammo is added at 8pm, it might not cause a significant Nitrite increase until, say, 12am.
Since the next test showed Nitrite present at 8am, then that's still not the full 12 hour window yet, so could be okay.

To be honest, I think we are both desperately wanting the cycle to be done now, and have a sneaky suspicion that we really need this Nitrite to be non-existent at the 12-hour marker. :unsure:

Mine is doing similar to your Ruby.
[URL="http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p3a...Og1sOn0Ae0EAVdA"]http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p3a...Og1sOn0Ae0EAVdA[/URL]

Ammo is always added at 8-9pm.
Ammonia fully processes in 12 hours.
Nitrite is still present at 12 hours (although not as high as yours), but fully clears at the 24 hour mark.

I wondered the same as you, as the Nitrite would only start building up as the Ammo processes.
So although the Ammo is added at 8pm, it might not cause a significant Nitrite increase until, say, 12am.
Since the next test showed Nitrite present at 8am, then that's still not the full 12 hour window yet, so could be okay.

To be honest, I think we are both desperately wanting the cycle to be done now, and have a sneaky suspicion that we really need this Nitrite to be non-existent at the 12-hour marker. :unsure:

i've with you all the way on that Dave.

Hopefully one of the experienced members will be along soon to either put us out of our frustrating wait and tell us to be even more patient.

I'm like you though,i cannot see how Nitrite will clear within 12 hours of adding ammonia when theres probably a delay in the first place until it starts appearing after the ammonia is converted.

At moment my filter appears to be clearing a massive amount of ammonia between 8-30am when i first test and around 7.30pm/8-30pm which is within 12 hours.

As a Newbie I fear that it will only drop to zero within 12 hours of adding ammonia if I add less ammonia to begin with.

This is the really frustrating part knowing we are almost there.

Its the not knowing ie whether I'm a few days away or still weeks.

Still everyone on here is really helpful and they obviously know their stuff so i'm happy to be guided by them and wait,wait,wait and wait in the meantime for the magic day :good:

But isn't that the point of the cycling - when it clears ammonia and nitrites within 12 hours you have both bacterial colonies fully formed and functioning? While it's not clearing the nitrites - it means the nitrite killing colony is still growing and cannot deal with what it will need to be able to deal with. That's my understanding anyway - fwiw lol :)

How's it going now Ruby? At the 12 hour marker mine changed rapidly for the better.
One day it was 1ppm 12 hours on, the next, 0ppm!
Hopefully yours is there too now?

How's it going now Ruby? At the 12 hour marker mine changed rapidly for the better.

Hi Dave

I'm glad to hear about your progress :good:

Not much happening my end.

My ammonia (5ppm) clears overnight within 12 hours and has been for the last 8 days

However during that time my nitrite is sky high at the first morning test but for the last 8 days that massive amount of nitrite has cleared to zero by the time of the night test 12 hours later.

I'm waiting/hoping that one of the experienced members can pass on comment as I don't know if I need to continue as I am or cut back on the ammonia doze or even if I'm cycled perish the thought :blink:

As a complete fish virgin it amazes me that my filter is processing an off the scale reading for nitrite to zero within 12 daylight hours but shows no sign of lowering between adding the ammonia the night before and the reading first thing in a morning.

It will go, mine was clearing the 5ppm ammonia to 0ppm in 12 hours for about 7-8 days before the Nitrite caught it up.
Nitrite test was always that nice purple shade until then, it kinda caught me by suprise!

Hi Dave

My ammonia (5ppm) clears overnight within 12 hours and has been for the last 8 days

However during that time my nitrite is sky high at the first morning test but for the last 8 days that massive amount of nitrite has cleared to zero by the time of the night test 12 hours later.

I'm waiting/hoping that one of the experienced members can pass on comment as I don't know if I need to continue as I am or cut back on the ammonia doze or even if I'm cycled perish the thought :blink:

As a complete fish virgin it amazes me that my filter is processing an off the scale reading for nitrite to zero within 12 daylight hours but shows no sign of lowering between adding the ammonia the night before and the reading first thing in a morning.

If you can add 5ppm of ammonia and 12 hours later the ammonia is 0ppm, and the nitrite is 0ppm, and you are getting a good nitrate reading I would say you are fully cycled.

Correct me of I am wrong, but you said this is what was happening for the last 8 days? If that is the case, I would say it is time for fish!

-FHM

so how many hours is it taking for the nitrite to process ot 0 then? the 12 hrs includes the extra time to generate the nitrite then reduce it. i know it may not feel like it at the moment but trust me it is perfectly possible and it will happen!!!!!

adding 5ppm each day is right at this stage, we only advise to cut back when you're getting a big nitrite build up which is not cleared the same day.

what is your nitrate reading? if it's off the scale then this can inhibit things so a large water change to bring that down could kick start it.

Hi Dave

If you can add 5ppm of ammonia and 12 hours later the ammonia is 0ppm, and the nitrite is 0ppm, and you are getting a good nitrate reading I would say you are fully cycled.

Correct me of I am wrong, but you said this is what was happening for the last 8 days? If that is the case, I would say it is time for fish!

-FHM

I would love you forever if that was right................but.

Yes my ammonia is clearing within 12 hours of adding it and has for 8 days but my nitrite as yet is not clearing within 12 hours of adding the ammonia the night before,but it is within 24 hours.

My reference to the 12 hours for nitrite is that at the 12 hour stage after adding ammonia the night before its still deep mauve/way off the chart (nutrafin kit) but from that point it then clears to zero within 12 hours of that so i suppose technically its only clearing within 24 hours of adding ammonia but it is clearing from off the scale reading to zero within 12 hours if you see what i mean....but i'm not sure if me thinking/hoping i'm cycled because of that is cheating?.

From whaty dave says and his 7/8 days it sounds as if one morning very soon I will wake to find my nitrite test almost clear 12 hours AFTER adding the ammonia dose the night before........then Q week :D

Hi Dave

-FHM

I would love you forever if that was right................but.

Yes my ammonia is clearing within 12 hours of adding it and has for 8 days but my nitrite as yet is not clearing within 12 hours of adding the ammonia the night before,but it is within 24 hours.

My reference to the 12 hours for nitrite is that at the 12 hour stage after adding ammonia the night before its still deep mauve/way off the chart (nutrafin kit) but from that point it then clears to zero within 12 hours of that so i suppose technically its only clearing within 24 hours of adding ammonia but it is clearing from off the scale reading to zero within 12 hours if you see what i mean....but i'm not sure if me thinking/hoping i'm cycled because of that is cheating?.

From whaty dave says and his 7/8 days it sounds as if one morning very soon I will wake to find my nitrite test almost clear 12 hours AFTER adding the ammonia dose the night before........then Q week :D

I say you are almost there then. Since you are taking 5ppm of ammonia to 0ppm in 12 hours, and then 24 hours your nitrite is 0ppm; I would say you are almost there.

I would guess in about a week maybe you should see that ammonia and nitrite will reach 0ppm within 12 hours.

After that has happened, give it another week, just to be on the safe side. Sometimes nitrite will spike a little in the final week, and best have that happen without fish in the tank. :nod:

Just keep adding the ammonia, and one day it will all come through! :good:

-FHM

so how many hours is it taking for the nitrite to process ot 0 then? the 12 hrs includes the extra time to generate the nitrite then reduce it. i know it may not feel like it at the moment but trust me it is perfectly possible and it will happen!!!!!

adding 5ppm each day is right at this stage, we only advise to cut back when you're getting a big nitrite build up which is not cleared the same day.

what is your nitrate reading? if it's off the scale then this can inhibit things so a large water change to bring that down could kick start it.

Hi Miss W...glad your back,missed you :)

From adding Ammonia the night before its taking about 22 hours to process nitrite to Zero.

However (if it makes a jot of difference) my morning test is always done 12 hours after adding ammonia the night before and my evening test is always done 12 hours after that ie 24 hours after adding the ammonia

For the last 8 days my nitrite reading on the morning test has been high (probably off the scale...I have an API kit now as well so will jointly test with that tomorrow in daylight to see if it gives a more measurable reading) but by the evening test all that nitrite has gone to zero (from days when I was teting more than twice a day I know the nitrite is going to zero about 10 hours after my morning test)

My nitrate reading just now was probably 110 but isnt that to be expected given the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate and the fact is that a massive amount of nitrite has just been converted to zero?

I can/will test for nitrate at my morning tests from now on if thats a good idea given that at that stage,if my last 8 days are to go by none of the nitrite has been processed by the time of my morning test.

I'm assuming Nitrate is expected to be high towards end of the cycle as thats why we do the massive water change at the end?

To put you in the picture on my latest update readings

Day 41

8-30am Ammonia 0
Nitrite off scale

8-30pm Nitrite 0

Added 7.11ml of ammonia

Day 42

9-00am Ammonia 0
Nitrite off scale

8-30pm Nitrite 0

Added 7.11ml of ammonia

Day 43 (today 26/2/09)

8-30am Ammonia 0
Nitrite off scale

8-00pm Nitrite 0
Nitrate 110

added 7.11ml of ammonia

yes nitrate is expected to be high, but sometimes too high can inhibit bacteria growth. i don't honestly think this is whats happening here, i just think your cycle is a touch ont he slow side as sometimes happens, however a large water change to reduce the nitrate won't hurt and you never know it just may help.

Hi there Ruby. In your post (#87 above) you state that nitrite drops to zero about about 22 hours after adding ammonia. But then later in the post you state that its dropping to zero in about 10 hours "after your morning test." I just wanted to check that you are just saying the same thing, that the morning test is after 12 hours, so you are adding the 10 and getting 22, and its not two different drop times you are reporting(?) Note that when you list strings of daily test results, its much easier for us if no times-of-day are mentioned at all, but instead if "number of hours after ammonia add" is the thing mentioned (I always think it should be easier to type too!)

It sounds like you beginning to get the nitrite spike behind you and nitrite drop times will be hanging closer to the 24 hours for a while and then usually will suddenly fall to just shy of making it in 12 hours and hang there. Then finally you'll get both ammonia and nitrite dropping to zero in 12 hours and can start your qualifying week. You'll get there.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back