My fish will only eat when I feed them

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
My pair of electric blue acara seem to not eat when I’m not there , this sound strange I know but does anybody else have this problem because it is a problem for me as I stress about being away for more than a few days , they normally get fed first thing 6am before I work and around 6pm when lights go off and they are always first to the surface ready to eat I only look through the glass and they will dart to the top for food they are great love them , but when my partner or children feed the fish they don’t even realise they are being fed , is this normal as nothing else in there cares where the food comes from

It is normal for fish to prefer to eat in the dark. For example, my Pleco likes eating in the dark. It makes them feel more secure.

Fish will come to recognize where their food comes from. Maybe they haven't quite figured out that food can come from many sources.

Fish are opportunistic eaters, meaning they eat when the opportunity presents itself. They can go days to a week or 2 without food so i wouldnt worry too much about them starving if you are feeding twice daily.

It is normal for fish to prefer to eat in the dark. For example, my Pleco likes eating in the dark. It makes them feel more secure.
Yeah same as my pleco I know if he is looking for food with lights on something has ate his pellet but he’s nice to look at so I leave him till his next feed

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back