My Fish Stocking List

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dant1875

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It appears that I am finally cycled woohoo :D . I've come up with what I want to have, but being a first-timer I'd appreciate some feedback on choice, compatibility, amounts etc. I have a 90l tank & at the moment I'm going for:

5 x Sterbai Cory
3 x Apistogramma Cacatuides (2 x female, 1 x male)
5 x Black Widow Tetra
5-10 Cardinal Tetra
Then possibly a pair of Gourami, I was going to go for Dwarf gourami, but they appear very sensitive & sickly, so maybe Red Honey Gourami instead?
I'm using sand as a substrate, so will be having some Malaysian Trumpet Snails as well.

Any thoughts or observations people???

Thanks in advance

We usually recommend waiting about 6 months beyond fishless cycling before adding a card/neon shoal. Its not known why this works out better but that advice keeps seeming to hold true. The Red Honey G. would actually probably be a better early entry really than the cardinals. I assume the black widows and the cories would also be ok for starters but I can't advise on the Apistogramma.

~~waterdrop~~

We usually recommend waiting about 6 months beyond fishless cycling before adding a card/neon shoal. Its not known why this works out better but that advice keeps seeming to hold true. The Red Honey G. would actually probably be a better early entry really than the cardinals. I assume the black widows and the cories would also be ok for starters but I can't advise on the Apistogramma.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks waterdrop - might forget the idea of Cardinals then - any opinions on another small shoal-type fish? My wife saw a type of Rasbora that she thought was really pretty, but she can't remember what it was called (I think it was red?). It was a friend of mine who suggested the Apistos - apparently they are quite hardy :)

On that point - I think Harlequin Rasboras aree the way to go - does anyone have any idea on how many I could comfortably keep in this size tank with the Black widows as well?

With the cories and tetras, I would put maybe 6 rasboras. They are very nice fish and are tough as nails in my experience.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back