My Fish Seem To Be More Hyper Aggressive Then They Should Be.

ILetUWiN

Reaction score
Alright I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 discus, 2 angels, 1 rainbow shark, 1 small snail, 1 small regular pleco, and now 4 glofish(zebra danios), 5 glofish(tetras), and 6 glass fish. the glofish are dying one by one and they seem more aggressive then they should be towards each other ONLY. I had my water tested, came out near perfect in just about everything it was tested for. I have a full bubble wand that runs the length of the back of the tank for air and to circulate, and at least 7-8 plants. The temp runs 80-84F and I have a bunch of rock caves of different sizes. I feed them eithert flakes/brine shrimp/bloodworms or somethings a mix, about one every day to two days. Any suggestions as to what might be driving them to be so aggressive.

Zebra danios can be aggressive, if not kept in large enough shoals; six at the very least, but ten is better.

Having said that, your tank is really too hot for them; they're more of a temperate fish and aren't good tank mates for things like discus that need the higher temps.

Do you know the actual numbers from the tests, just to rule anything else out?

Wow, you can keep discus with angels!? o_O I'm defs getting a pair of each! <3 <3 I love them both! And I can easily make sure they all get enough food. I have plenty of time and methods of dropping the flake. :p
OK, I'm done. :p
I had 3 Glo-Fish (danio type) some time back, they were never aggressive and even spawned. I loved them so much that now that I have a 63 gallon, currently my only fish are a Cory cat (a rescue from school, he even had detergent dumped in his water and is incredibly still alive) and a pink Glo-Fish. Never had any trouble.
Perhaps they are feeling crowded? My betta killed a guppy in a 2.5 gallon tank, but in a 28, never bothered anyone.

Most people don't recommend keeping discus and angels together.

The tetra Glofish(R) are genetically modified Black Skirt Tetras (aka Black Widow Tetras). These can also be quite aggressive, again especially because the number in the group are low - they are shoaling fish, in the wild (in their unGM form) they live in groups of 100s or 1000s. In a small group, they will feel under stress and even the best of us get grumpy and irritable when we're stressed.

ILetUWiN said:
I had my water tested, came out near perfect in just about everything it was tested for.

This implies two things. (1) That nothing was completely perfect and (2) that something was quite a way from being perfect. An imperfect environment will again stress fish, and even the best of us etc etc ;) I would also like to know the exact numbers from your water test.

PrincessKiara said:
Wow, you can keep discus with angels!?

No, you can't. Give it time, there will be trouble in the tank. I also think there'll be trouble with the rainbow shark as it matures.

PrincessKiara said:
Wow, you can keep discus with angels!? o_O I'm defs getting a pair of each! <3 <3 I love them both! And I can easily make sure they all get enough food. I have plenty of time and methods of dropping the flake. :p
OK, I'm done. :p
I had 3 Glo-Fish (danio type) some time back, they were never aggressive and even spawned. I loved them so much that now that I have a 63 gallon, currently my only fish are a Cory cat (a rescue from school, he even had detergent dumped in his water and is incredibly still alive) and a pink Glo-Fish. Never had any trouble.
Perhaps they are feeling crowded? My betta killed a guppy in a 2.5 gallon tank, but in a 28, never bothered anyone.
There's so much wrong here sweet :/

Bettas shouldn't be kept with Guppies anyway as they can easily be mistaken as another Betta so are prone to being attacked by them.
Not quite sure why my two posts didn't knit together then /facepalm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back